Shooting with both eyes open

This is a discussion on Shooting with both eyes open within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently began shooting with both eyes open, ignoring the sights. This seems like a much more realistic scenario for self defense. I went to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Shooting with both eyes open

Shooting with both eyes open

I've recently began shooting with both eyes open, ignoring the sights. This seems like a much more realistic scenario for self defense. I went to the range yesterday and shot 100 this way with my LCP and 50 with my G26 and had some pretty tight groups which will improve with practice.

Has anyone else tried this much? I'll post pics of the targets in a while.
    gatorbait51 and tony1990 like this.

2. Remove Ads

image.jpgimage.jpg

Obviously need more practice. This is at 7 yards. Better with the Glock than the Ruger. Practice , practice. Interesting though.
    miller_man and gatorbait51 like this.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I attached the same pic twice. It's still early.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I try and give every possible "aiming method" a try. I try and practice with more of a point/shoot methodology. Bring firearm up, point and shoot at about the same time. Maybe because I am older and sight is not what it once was, I find that both eyes gives me a "fuzzy" look; my eyes are not in focus for the gun barrel AND the target--it is as if I am going cross-eyed trying to quickly look at both things. For the classic one eye (dominant), it does not take me any longer to point/shoot but I am looking at the gun barrrel and the target with more clarity. Hope this sounds sensible. Guess whatever works for you is the best for you.
    Smarshe and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I always shoot with both eyes open. I'm right handed, and left eye dominate. I think keeping both eyes open kind of compensates for that.
    GlassWolf and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

I usually get my best results with both eyes closed. Feel the Force, Luke.

Both eyes open is the last level in aiming. Teaches you to focus on front sight only, allows full vision while shooting. A1 technique! Keep practicing with it, you won't regret it!

Distinguished Member
    I had trouble not closing my weak eye when I first started shooting pistols, but after practicing a good bit (mostly with dry fire practice) it's second nature now and feels weird if I don't have both eye's open.

Was at a friends land shooting 22 rifles and started practicing the same thing, even with a scope, it gets easier the more I do it.

I think its great to practice instinct shooting without using the sights. I've actually been amazed at the 1st shot accuracy I've had, just bringing the pistol out, up and then shooting.

Good job, keep it up!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

A long time ago I aspired to be a professional photographer. You'd think i would close one eye and squint through the viewfinder. I taught myself to keep both eyes open. Focus with dominant eye in viewfinder and the other to see the bigger picture. I never became that professional photographer, but when i first picked up a handgun last year. Aiming with both eyes seemed fairly natural. (what I have to learn better is focusing on the front sight, not the target.)

AOK
    I learned to shoot with both eyes open. If I have the gun in my right hand I use my right eye (dominant eye) and if I transition the gun over to my left hand I still keep both eyes open and use my left eye.

As for point shooting, it can be a somewhat controversial subject. Some believe it's a necessary skill to learn and others believe in front sight, front sight, front sight (outside of close contact shooting from the #2 and #3 positions). While I've never taken a class focused on point shooting (outside of close contact classes) I noticed it's importance in some FOF classes. In my personal experiences I don't ever remember seeing the front sight when fighting within 20 feet or closer. However when I am fighting from longer distances or from behind cover I did see my front sight on center mass. With that said, I hope to get into a class focused on point shooting in the near future.

I always shoot with both eyes open because I'm blind in one eye.
    JoePfeiffer and gatorbait51 like this.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Both eyes open works equally well with as without the sights.
    I also shoot scoped rifles with both eyes open--works great when a deer is on the move.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Since we are discussing sight, what about tunnel vision? How can I keep it from occurring?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    you mean there are experienced handgun shooters who shoot with their eyes closed? I was taught, and still always keep both open all the time. Closing one eye loses about a third of your field of vision, which can be deadly in a defensive situation. It also destroys your depth of field.
    gatorbait51 and smoker62 like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Learn to shoot with both eyes open and without much use of the sights...front site is just a peripheral assistant.
    It's the only realistic way to defend yourself in a Wally World parking lot.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links