Do you count rounds?

This is a discussion on Do you count rounds? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My answer: not yet (no) but I'm going to start training to. I ask as a follow-on to the ongoing Emergency Reload thread. After inquiring ...

View Poll Results: Do you count rounds when shooting?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 46.67%
  • No

38 36.19%
  • Depends on the situation

18 17.14%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: Do you count rounds?

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Do you count rounds?

My answer: not yet (no) but I'm going to start training to.

I ask as a follow-on to the ongoing Emergency Reload thread. After inquiring with a relative with a lot of combat experience, who asked in his own community's forum, his eventual answer about slide lock reloads was, "the consensus is, you should be counting rounds and never get to slide lock, ultimately."

I know some people think it's a silly/too difficult practice, but clearly some people do it. Do you?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I always count rounds and ALWAYS pull the trigger one extra time.
    gatorbait51, NONAME762 and Tzadik like this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

TBG
    Nope. Got more important things to think about.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    ALWAYS pull the trigger one extra time.
    Why?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TBG View Post
    Nope. Got more important things to think about.
    I'm sorry, but if you're in the process of shooting a gun, you should have nothing that's more important at the time.
    tcox4freedom and gatorbait51 like this.
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Why?
    It's a habit. I shoot cowboy action revolvers and got in the habit of loading 5 rounds many years ago. So when I get to 6, I better not hear anything but "click". Also when training with double action revolvers I will load mixed dummy rounds with live. If I load two live rounds, I want to hear two rounds go off. good luck
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member

No.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I shoot cowboy action revolvers and got in the habit of loading 5 rounds many years ago. So when I get to 6, I better not hear anything but "click". Also when training with double action revolvers I will load mixed dummy rounds with live.
    Ahhh here I was only thinking of semiautos.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You really think that if you get in a shooting you will be able to count how many rounds you fired? Back when I was an LEO they had reports from actual shootings where they asked Officers how many shots did you fire,almost every response was wrong and some Cops had actually fired all 6 rounds in their revolvers and didn't realize they had an empty gun.
    Thats why you practice Tactical reloads,if your in a situation where you fire several rounds and have a chance, change mags,I carry 2 spares
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Ahhh here I was only thinking of semiautos.
    I understand. My semis tend to be a bit more obvious when they are empty.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member

I was taught in advanced combat shooting to always count and change magazines while there is still a round in the chamber. That gives you one round to defend yourself with during magazine change. If you have fired several rounds it is also a good thing to change mags if possible rather than possibly miscounting.
    fredg53, gatorbait51 and larlev like this.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I'm sorry, but if you're in the process of shooting a gun, you should have nothing that's more important at the time.
    I can't think of anything more important than keeping track of where your rounds are & where they are going. Counting rounds is something I have done since I was a boy shooting a 22 rifle. I want to know where each round is and where it goes when I pull the trigger. The only time I don't actually (consciously) count single rounds is when I do a fast mag dump. (Even then, I find myself sub-consciously counting.)

Another habit I got into at a very young age is loading the exact amount of rounds needed for a specific set of shots. (IE, if I want to see a three round group, I only load three rounds. If a SD drill will take a certain amount of rounds, 3, 5, 7 etc, that's all I load.)

Not only is this a safer & more effective way to practice & train, it also saves a LOT of $$$ on what otherwise may be wasted ammo doing mag dumps.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    I was taught in advanced combat shooting to always count and change magazines while there is still a round in the chamber. That gives you one round to defend yourself with during magazine change.
    One of the things I was taught (and practice accordingly) is to reload a fresh mag when there is a lull in a fight or when you make it to cover. (For example- If you have to fire several rounds at the beginning of a firefight in order to help you get to cover, load a fresh mag as soon as you can behind cover. That way you will have the optimum amount available should your enemy or his friends advance on your position.)

I know there are times you may be forced to discharge a full mag without reloading. But, I'm not sure they are very common in civilian SD situations.

-
    Str8upguy and gatorbait51 like this.

I don't count, and when I'm shooting steel matches with a single stack I rarely run dry... but that's a function of the game. We single-stack guys pretty much reload every time we move. (And yes, I know that's a part of the game that's different than 'real life.')

The young guy next to me at work is an Army vet who did 2 tours in A-stan. He swears he counted rounds when he was in a firefight.
    gatorbait51, 40Bob and OD* like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Range Report -- CZ P01 9mm compact (ongoing)

That goes for tallying error-rates on a given gun while I'm breaking it in, as well as for attempting to remain aware for reload purposes under stress (so that I can balance retaining as much firepower as I can with avoiding running short).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I used to be squarely in the "count rounds camp"

And then I had my overseas deployments, and realized, especially with higher capacity firearms, it is something that is quite difficult to do under adverse conditions.

IF you know you have fired rounds, and there is a lull, and you have a fresh mag, reload.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links