Who Are Your Favorite Trainers and Why?

This is a discussion on Who Are Your Favorite Trainers and Why? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since many of us here like to talk training and tactics, I thought it would be educational to list who your favorites are and why? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Who Are Your Favorite Trainers and Why?

Who Are Your Favorite Trainers and Why?

Since many of us here like to talk training and tactics, I thought it would be educational to list who your favorites are and why?

Here's some that I respect:

Clint Smith/Thunder Ranch - Nothing really flashy but very experienced.
    Paul Howe/CSAT - Again not very flashy but tons of experience. If the opportunity ever arises, his school is number one on my list.
    Paul Gomez - No longer with us (RIP) but his writings and vids show he was a true student of his craft. Always thought provoking.
    Maynard likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Clint Smith - no argument there. I was set to do TR a couple of years ago, and then "life" intervened.

Mas Ayoob - the man with a very broad perspective. Prolific writer, he has a healthy ego but he's humble and open-minded enough to accept new ideas and techniques (and then write about them!). His training integrates the practical shooting techniques with real-world information about the legal, moral and ethical use of deadly physical force.

Pat Rogers - the principal of EAG Tactical. Solidly grounded in fighting with a gun (not just 'shooting'). He'll make you feel like crap for screwing up, but his sarcasm and humor serve to drive the very practical lessons home.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

James Yeager, of Tactical Response. The training is top notch.

I plan on going thru fighting pistol again, this time with my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Clint Smith - no argument there. I was set to do TR a couple of years ago, and then "life" intervened.

Mas Ayoob - the man with a very broad perspective. Prolific writer, he has a healthy ego but he's humble and open-minded enough to accept new ideas and techniques (and then write about them!). His training integrates the practical shooting techniques with real-world information about the legal, moral and ethical use of deadly physical force.

Pat Rogers - the principal of EAG Tactical. Solidly grounded in fighting with a gun (not just 'shooting'). He'll make you feel like crap for screwing up, but his sarcasm and humor serve to drive the very practical lessons home.
    I always enjoy reading Pat's stuff in SWAT...he and Louis Awerbuck, whom I should have also mentioned.

I grew up reading Mas Ayoob's stuff in the gun rags.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I always enjoy reading Pat's stuff in SWAT...he and Louis Awerbuck, whom I should have also mentioned.

I grew up reading Mas Ayoob's stuff in the gun rags.
    Go look up "Pat Rogers - Death on a Sunny Afternoon" on YouTube. It's a little raw so I don't want to post the link here, but it's a perfect example of Pat's, uh, 'demeanor' in class!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Go look up "Pat Rogers - Death on a Sunny Afternoon" on YouTube. It's a little raw so I don't want to post the link here, but it's a perfect example of Pat's, uh, 'demeanor' in class!
    Ha yeah! Actually I watched his vids when I had a subscription to PANTEAO.

VIP Member
    John Benner, David Bowie, Greg Ellifritz, Forrest Sonewald, Jeff Lehman, Chris Wallace, and the rest of the guys at Tactical Defense Institute. David Grossman is awesome, as well.
    JD and DonPablo_VA like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

How about Tom Givens? Anyone trained under his outfit?

Haley and costa- Love there way of thinking on mindset and gun handling....

Pincus- Training to what the body does naturally. Hard to argue with that.

Suarez- AK 47 no need to say more.

Dave Spaulding- down to earth, fact and reality based teaching.

Dave Schnider- War hero, down to earth, hard ass while on the range....

Yeager- Soon...

On a personal note. I have taken from all of these instructors and use what works for me.
    OD*, Bad Bob and StormRhydr like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Too many to list.

And until I've physically taken a class from them, I honestly can't tell you who are my favorites.

There are those whose skills I highly respect and wish to assimilate. There are those whose mindset I want to pattern my own after. There are those whose experiences I hope I can learn from. There are those whose methods of thinking and problem-solving are either logical and congruent with mine, or open my mind up to further possibilities. There are those whose teaching skills are unparalleled, and who I can best expect a transfer of knowledge.

And like brother Harryball, I tend to extract what I like from each instructor to make my own: so that my take-homes fit my body and my lifestyle.

I've got a bucket list of instructors, and am starting to realize that time is too short. Paul Gomez, for instance, was lost to our community not long ago, and I mourn his passing as a student of pistolcraft who most unfortunately never got a chance to study under him.

Before I end my post, though, I'd like to say that for me, it's not all about how many schools/courses I've been through or who I've studied under. While I feel that breadth of knowledge is important, I also feel very strongly that depth of knowledge cannot be faked.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Too many to list.

And until I've physically taken a class from them, I honestly can't tell you who are my favorites.

There are those whose skills I highly respect and wish to assimilate. There are those whose mindset I want to pattern my own after. There are those whose experiences I hope I can learn from. There are those whose methods of thinking and problem-solving are either logical and congruent with mine, or open my mind up to further possibilities. There are those whose teaching skills are unparalleled, and who I can best expect a transfer of knowledge.

And like brother Harryball, I tend to extract what I like from each instructor to make my own: so that my take-homes fit my body and my lifestyle.

I've got a bucket list of instructors, and am starting to realize that time is too short. Paul Gomez, for instance, was lost to our community not long ago, and I mourn his passing as a student of pistolcraft who most unfortunately never got a chance to study under him.

Before I end my post, though, I'd like to say that for me, it's not all about how many schools/courses I've been through or who I've studied under. While I feel that breadth of knowledge is important, I also feel very strongly that depth of knowledge cannot be faked.
    Paul was on my short list. Many a good conversation with him right here in this house. RIP brother....

I have trained with whom I posted. I have taking something new every time. Keeping an open mind as a student is vital to being able to learn new things, and possible life saving skills. Like you bro there are to many to list, and the bucket list is growing. Now that Tacman is home and 40 bob has his certs It has got me thinking about a training school with the two of them. Will see, a lot of hopes and dreams. I guess I should of added those two to the list.

Tom Givens is my top pick - unless you want to be SWAT or Special Ops guy, or play at being one.

Tom focuses his training towards the civilian concealed handgun carrier. He also has had over 50 of his students successfully defend themselves in armed confrontations. The only students of his to lose a gunfight are those who did not have a gun at the time.
    JMB likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Tom Givens is my top pick - unless you want to be SWAT or Special Ops guy, or play at being one.

Tom focuses his training towards the civilian concealed handgun carrier. He also has had over 50 of his students successfully defend themselves in armed confrontations. The only students of his to lose a gunfight are those who did not have a gun at the time.
    So an average-Joe/Jane concealed-carry citizen would have nothing to gain by learning from guys like SouthNarc, because he was an undercover narcotics officer? or Mike Pannone or Frank Proctor, just because they were super-soldiers? or Rob Leatham or Bob Vogel, because we're probably never going to be able to shoot at that level of proficiency?

No, I get what you're trying to say, chasbo00 - that we should match our training to the lives we actually lead. Kyle Defoor wrote an excellent pair of Blog entries about this on his website, titled: "Training Balance and How Good is Good Enough."

While I'm definitely in this (your) camp of thinking, I also can't help but think that it is far from ideal to cubbyhole certain instructors/schools into certain categories. Rather, it's about what the instructor/school teaches - how they present the material and how they make that material applicable to the needs of each student.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    So an average-Joe/Jane concealed-carry citizen would have nothing to gain by learning from guys like SouthNarc, because he was an undercover narcotics officer? or Mike Pannone or Frank Proctor, just because they were super-soldiers? or Rob Leatham or Bob Vogel, because we're probably never going to be able to shoot at that level of proficiency?

No, I get what you're trying to say, chasbo00 - that we should match our training to the lives we actually lead. Kyle Defoor wrote an excellent pair of Blog entries about this on his website, titled: "Training Balance and How Good is Good Enough."

While I'm definitely in this (your) camp of thinking, I also can't help but think that it is far from ideal to cubbyhole certain instructors/schools into certain categories. Rather, it's about what the instructor/school teaches - how they present the material and how they make that material applicable to the needs of each student.
    Until you have seen the pink elephant in the room you will never know, how good is good enough. We gain knowledge from those that have been there. Its a real eye opener as to what happens when faced with somebody that you have to shoot.

Taking from everyone and making it your own, along with keeping an open mind is key. Absolutes IMO could get you killed one day. I realize TSI you understand this. These comments are not directed at you, but more of a discussion point.
    TSiWRX and Ghost1958 like this.

Clint Smith seems to be the most grounded of the group. "Situational Awareness", and a totally dependable gun, are still my #1 priority.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links