New Pistol Trainer

New Pistol Trainer

This is a discussion on New Pistol Trainer within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about to go through the NRA Pistol Instructor class to become an Instructor. I am wondering if there is anyone around the south ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: New Pistol Trainer

  1. #1
    New Member Array jakordas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Fall River, MA
    Posts
    13

    New Pistol Trainer

    I am about to go through the NRA Pistol Instructor class to become an Instructor. I am wondering if there is anyone around the south east part of MA that is an active trainer that wouldn't mine someone shadowing them for a few classes to pick up some knowledge?

    Thank you,


    Justin
    gatorbait51 and StormRhydr like this.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Bad Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where the deer and the antelope roam
    Posts
    3,415
    Justin,

    What is your skill level, how much experience do you have?
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

    “Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

  3. #3
    New Member Array jakordas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Fall River, MA
    Posts
    13
    As an instructor not a lot. I served 5 years in the Marine corps Infantry so as far as weapon experience I feel I'm pretty experienced
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,499
    Quote Originally Posted by jakordas View Post
    As an instructor not a lot. I served 5 years in the Marine corps Infantry so as far as weapon experience I feel I'm pretty experienced
    With a pistol or rifle? Did you carry a pistol in the service?

    If you were closer to MI I would let you sit in on a couple classes. As instructors we need to be able to show people what they do not know...Which means consent training ourselves...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  5. #5
    New Member Array jakordas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Fall River, MA
    Posts
    13
    Mainly M16 and SAW. Used a pistol sometimes but never had one issued to me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,499
    Quote Originally Posted by jakordas View Post
    Mainly M16 and SAW. Used a pistol sometimes but never had one issued to me.
    With that you might want to attend a pistol course, not only for your benefit, but for the benefit of your students. Even in the basic classes you will have questions, about this and that. IMO you should be able to answer those questions. I understand and appreciate your military service, but IMO it is not enough to teach a pistol course....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  7. #7
    New Member Array jakordas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Fall River, MA
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    With that you might want to attend a pistol course, not only for your benefit, but for the benefit of your students. Even in the basic classes you will have questions, about this and that. IMO you should be able to answer those questions. I understand and appreciate your military service, but IMO it is not enough to teach a pistol course....
    I agree with you 100%. I am attending a NRA instructor class this weekend. I will attend others as they come around as well. Shadowing an experienced person will also help me I feel. I don't plan on teaching right away, but i don't know when I will be able to take another instructor course.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,499
    Quote Originally Posted by jakordas View Post
    I agree with you 100%. I am attending a NRA instructor class this weekend. I will attend others as they come around as well. Shadowing an experienced person will also help me I feel. I don't plan on teaching right away, but i don't know when I will be able to take another instructor course.
    The instructor class for basic pistol is not training. Dont get me wrong, with the new advanced instructor set its pretty good stuff, but you should search out more dynamic training. I am not saying not to take the course, by all means do so, you will benefit, but IMO you need much more than that class to be an instructor...
    gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  9. #9
    New Member Array jakordas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Fall River, MA
    Posts
    13
    Is there any specific course you would recommend?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,499
    Quote Originally Posted by jakordas View Post
    Is there any specific course you would recommend?
    With you being in MA, I would try to get into a Rob Pincus course. He is up in NJ. I am not sure how far away that is for you, but there are others as well. Costa ludus, Haley strategic, Tactical Response, Thunder Ranch, Suarez international. It all depends on how far you can travel, and the budget you have to work with..
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  11. #11
    New Member Array jakordas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Fall River, MA
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    With you being in MA, I would try to get into a Rob Pincus course. He is up in NJ. I am not sure how far away that is for you, but there are others as well. Costa ludus, Haley strategic, Tactical Response, Thunder Ranch, Suarez international. It all depends on how far you can travel, and the budget you have to work with..
    I will look into those. Thank you for all the advice.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,499
    Quote Originally Posted by jakordas View Post
    I will look into those. Thank you for all the advice.
    No problem at all. If you want to talk, hit me with a PM Ill give you my cell number...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  13. #13
    JMB
    JMB is offline
    Senior Member Array JMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SATX
    Posts
    723
    Developing your skills with the firearms is great but IMO you need to put just as much effort into learning to teach. I've seen guys who were great shooters but lousy teachers if you know what I mean. Then there is the part where you learn to run a firing line and diagnose shooter errors.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,499
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Developing your skills with the firearms is great but IMO you need to put just as much effort into learning to teach. I've seen guys who were great shooters but lousy teachers if you know what I mean. Then there is the part where you learn to run a firing line and diagnose shooter errors.
    You are correct it is a process. When I went thru it, we had two classes that were designed to teach us how to teach. Running a line is one thing, spotting what others may being doing wrong comes from experience. The NRA classes are good if you get a good training counselor. If you dont, then it is worthless....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  15. #15
    JMB
    JMB is offline
    Senior Member Array JMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SATX
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You are correct it is a process. When I went thru it, we had two classes that were designed to teach us how to teach. Running a line is one thing, spotting what others may being doing wrong comes from experience. The NRA classes are good if you get a good training counselor. If you dont, then it is worthless....
    I have no experience with how the NRA does it or what is covered. The course I went to was 10 weeks. Half was weapons and the other half was teaching skills, running the line, safety, shooter error diagnosis which covered reading the target and observation of the shooters. IMO, learning different approaches when communicating with the students is one of the traits that sets good instructors apart from the rest.
    gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •