Tactical Pistol Reloading Methods by D.R. Middlebrooks

Tactical Pistol Reloading Methods by D.R. Middlebrooks

This is a discussion on Tactical Pistol Reloading Methods by D.R. Middlebrooks within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK Guys, here is the 1st of a series of video clips from the FIST-FIRE DVD's (circa 2007) on reloading the Semi-Auto Fighting Pistol: To ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Tactical Pistol Reloading Methods by D.R. Middlebrooks

Sponsor

Lightbulb Tactical Pistol Reloading Methods by D.R. Middlebrooks

OK Guys, here is the 1st of a series of video clips from the FIST-FIRE DVD's (circa 2007) on reloading the Semi-Auto Fighting Pistol:

To be continued...
    JMB, OD*, Bad Bob and 4 others like this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Good Video D.R.

I appreciate the information that you bring to the forum, its always solid. I am one of the individuals that keeps an eye on my target. I believe keeping focus on the person trying to kill me is the most important part of the fight. If my gun runs dry, I will refill it. It is something that I have trained to, I know you understand that. I do not compete in games of any sort with my guns. I have a martial mindset as it pertains to my weapons and how they should be used. I am in 100 percent agreement with you about practicing the reload. You just never know when you might need it..
    rocky, gatorbait51 and DRM like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

JMB
    Well then there are those who don't even carry a reload...

I'm in the same camp as DRM but from reading another thread covering this subject, it seems some may interpret "looking" with complete target lock on the gun for a long time. For me, when I say I "look" at the gun, I mean a glance with the gun up in the so called work space, not down where I would probably lose complete situational awareness. Getting the gun back in operation is a high priority and I believe I can best do that by minimizing my chances at fumbling insertion of the magazine...it being a hi stress situation with the oft talked about adrenaline dump and all.

Now to add some "what-ifs"

Any of you guys practice reloading (or other manipulations) from positions other than standing? Say, while running, on your back or side, kneeling, prone...etc?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post

Now to add some "what-ifs"

Any of you guys practice reloading (or other manipulations) from positions other than standing? Say, while running, on your back or side, kneeling, prone...etc?
    Yes. I do reloads on the move more frequently than from different platforms on the ground. With that said, sometimes I'll even make it a little interesting doing emergency reloads from the ground one handed to challenge myself on problem solving.
    DRM and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    I have done many 'in real life' situations, especially when our semis were 1st Gen.
    Most were due to FTFs & just clearing the dumb thing. The "Tap-Rack-Bang" theory &/or double strike capability just weren't good options awhile ago.
    Later came the <2 sec mag change, while moving.

Most mag changes are for mechanical failures (common), not needing more ammo, which makes the need for speed all the more critical.
    When you only get one round off and then a 'click'; it is better to just lose the mag & do a swap.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    With that said, sometimes I'll even make it a little interesting doing emergency reloads from the ground one handed to challenge myself on problem solving.
    I'm going to have to try that next time I'm at the range...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

AOK
    I really enjoyed the clip from your DVD series. Thank you for sharing!

As mentioned in another thread I train to keep my head up. I'll be the first to admit, while I'm decent at emergency reloads and tac loads, there are occasions I don't get a perfectly clean emergency reload. Maybe if I would have glaced down in this situations it may have been cleaner. However, I personally have found for the most part it is just from not getting enough reps in due to working on other weaknesses or new material in firearms, h2h, edged weapons, etc. If I have a day of training where I feel like my efficiency is lacking I make a point of getting back to the basics and slowly building up my speed again.

As for getting mixed up for the lack of a better term and trying to reload when needing to clear some form of failure or vice versa. I have a good sense of when my gun is about to run dry. If I have a good idea the gun shouldn't be empty and there is an unexpected stoppage I carry out a non diagnostic tap-rack. With that said, I did have a situation that I did run into the issue you described this year. Back in February I attended a FOF class. In the scenario I ended up exchanging fire with an opfor. The sim gun I was running was a Glock 19 which normally holds the usual 15 rounds. All class they had the guns up to capacity and I assumed it was in this scenario as well. After quickly getting to cover I immediately dumped 3 rounds and I had a stoppage. Believing there is no way I ran out of ammo I kept my head up and did a tap-rack and nothing happened. I thought there was a double feed so I then looked down to find I went to slide lock. Yes in this unique situation where I really didn't know the status of my magazine and it came back to haunt me. However, I have yet to experience a situation like this personally with my own carry gun while training by myself or in a class. I respect and understand your position(s) as you have had far more trigger time and experience in running your gun than I'm sure I could even imagine, I just don't think it's for me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by B_2keys View Post
    I'm going to have to try that next time I'm at the range...
    I don't know your training background but may I recommend starting out doing it dry? Have you had training doing one handed reloads and a lot of reps? I just ask because I have personally seen a lot of students new to one handed manipulations and reloads struggle with safety standing and going slow let alone down on the ground. I personally do more of that dry at home. Not so much for safety reasons but I personally feel when I am creating my game plan on how I will expend my precious ammo there are more pressing issues to master when it comes to fighting with my gun. It's always fun to challenge yourself though!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Administrator
    Worthwhile Video.

Only one suggestion for folks with double mag pouches that cannot get it exactly in the desired location due to pants belt loop conflicting locations.

That is exactly the same problem that people can sometimes have with some OWB holster styles where you do not want to skip a belt loop but the holster is too wide or the holster slots are such that the holster will not fit between a set of pant loops.

Sometimes you will need to play what I call Musical Belt Loops.

In other words - go through the first slot on the holster or magazine pouch - and the through the offending belt loop and then through the second holster or pouch slot and then all will be well and you'll be able to position your holster or mag pouch exactly where you want it. By picking one pant loop or the other - you WILL be able to get your OWB holster or double mag pouch positioned EXACTLY where you want it.

It is a bit more of a P.I.T.A. getting gear on but, it's a workable solution.

This was just not mentioned in the Vid so I thought I would add it as an FYI.
    gatorbait51 and TSiWRX like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    I have done many 'in real life' situations, especially when our semis were 1st Gen.
    Most were due to FTFs & just clearing the dumb thing. The "Tap-Rack-Bang" theory &/or double strike capability just weren't good options awhile ago.
    Later came the <2 sec mag change, while moving.

Right. I've seen the "Tap Rack" fail on double feeds and partial feeds. It makes things worse and take longer to clear. I believe in anayalizing the problem, then correcting it. This works 100% of the time. I'll give up a little speed for a lot of consistency.
    Bad Bob and gatorbait51 like this.
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Good Video D.R.

I appreciate the information that you bring to the forum, its always solid. I am one of the individuals that keeps an eye on my target. I believe keeping focus on the person trying to kill me is the most important part of the fight. If my gun runs dry, I will refill it. It is something that I have trained to, I know you understand that. I do not compete in games of any sort with my guns. I have a martial mindset as it pertains to my weapons and how they should be used. I am in 100 percent agreement with you about practicing the reload. You just never know when you might need it..
    Thanks Harry, I appreciate what you offer the forum as well. Even though we may not always agree it is always interesting. And it's good for me to rethink things from time to time.
    gatorbait51 and Harryball like this.

www.TacticalShooting.com

OD*
    Good video, DR, thanks.
    gatorbait51 and DRM like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Sponsor

Lightbulb The Tactcial Speed Reload

OK, Guys, here's the fastest way I know of reloading the Fighting Pistol...also known as the Competition Reload, but with a few twists to it.

For best results, it really requires an oversize Mag Button, and an oversize Slide Release.

Note: You need to have a Mag Button Big enough to hit and a Slide Release Big enough to hit. Otherwise you really need to consider using the Practical Reload (more on that later).

Enjoy!

gatorbait51 likes this.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Thumbs up The Tactcial Reload

Here's my way of performing a Tactical Speed Reload. It's 100% fumble free even with hi cap magazines.

HOLIDAY SPECIAL: GET 20% OFF GIFT CERTIFICATES FOR FIREARMS TRAINING (i.e. buy a $450 Gift Cert for just $360). And they are available in any amount you want. The Perfect Gift!

Visit our Online Store:

Tactical Shooting Academy - Tactical Shooting Store
    OD* and TSiWRX like this.

www.TacticalShooting.com

OD*
    Another good vid.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links