Jelly Bryce, the legendary FBI agent sharpshooter- 3 parts

This is a discussion on Jelly Bryce, the legendary FBI agent sharpshooter- 3 parts within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; JELLY BRYCE,THE FBI'S LEGENDARY SHARPSHOOTER November 12, 1945, by K. B. Chaffin Is copyright protected. Here is the link; FBI Agent - Jelly Bryce http://www.whatiscopyright.org/...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Jelly Bryce, the legendary FBI agent sharpshooter- 3 parts

Sponsor

Jelly Bryce, the legendary FBI agent sharpshooter- 3 parts

JELLY BRYCE,THE FBI'S LEGENDARY SHARPSHOOTER

November 12, 1945, by K. B. Chaffin

Is copyright protected.

Here is the link; FBI Agent - Jelly Bryce

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I would give this more likes if I could. Thanks for posting.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

I never get tired of reading about Jelly Bryce.
    niks, gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Thanks for sharing. I just read a story of a hero. Makes for a good lunch in downtown JAX.
    Having lived in Oklahoma, I can almost picture the faces of Jelly Bryce's family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." -- Paul

Distinguished Member
    Just finished reading "Legendary Lawman" by Ron Owens. It's all about Jelly. He was an interesting fellow.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Sponsor
    Glad to hear people liked the information and history on Bryce. Not a man to be messed with, and fast as a cat on the draw. As one can read from the link, his SPEED in drawing and firing accurately saved his arse many times throughout the years.

I'm reminded of one of my students comments several years back after having taken the pistol course of fire. He said "speed kills, the other guy". Pretty succinct but true as the article about Bryce confirms. Up to 8 hours a day on his draw stroke practice gaining speed and reliable COM hits, it paid off in spades on the streets and allowed him to die in bed an older man, not from lead poisoning which many tried to affect on him [ and lost trying ].

People, some here, have poo poo'd draw speed as not that important. Beg to differ with that mentality. You can't begin defending yourself with that gast you're carrying until you've cleared the holster. The draw starts the response. That response is most likely because someone is about to cause you great bodily harm or death and started the action first. Being as fast as the perp, you lose, they started first. Being first to hit, not second to hit is the goal, is it not? If it is, the draw stroke starts that solution with a firearm.

VIP Member
    Interesting read, thanks for posting.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Jelly was a proponent of dynamic movement as well. I submit it's of greater importance to not get hit than to get the first shot off. The determined draw stroke combined with dynamic movement is more important in getting you home than speed alone.
    Jon Payne
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

VIP Member
    10 men in face to face shootouts! He was better, and faster, than a cat!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Great read, Thanks.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper1969 View Post
    Jelly was a proponent of dynamic movement as well. I submit it's of greater importance to not get hit than to get the first shot off. The determined draw stroke combined with dynamic movement is more important in getting you home than speed alone.
    In one of the related stories, he moved off the line of fire by one step [ he had no other room to move in ] and the speed on tap and his accuracy did the rest. Most of his shootings weren't dynamically moving affairs, per se, though some involved movement. I do agree, moving to avoid getting shot is as important as speed of presentation in most encounters, especially if your draw stroke takes an eternity.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    People, some here, have poo poo'd draw speed as not that important. Beg to differ with that mentality.
    Speed is important. But if speed is all you've got, you've probably lost the fight. Or won the fight but died anyway.

Episode of, I think, Extreme Sharpshooters, some intermittent History Channel program back when I still had cable TV on. Fast-draw champion faces robot. He's got his competition rig on to make it even better. Signal goes, both sides draw, he gets the shot first. Most excellent, right? On to slow-motion replay including laser mounted on robot's arm. When he triggered his shot, the robot's 'gun' was zeroed on his diaphragm or near-nuff to it. He probably would have taken a bullet in the gut. Told me something important right there.

Yes, speed is important. But if you don't have something besides that, your tombstone might be saying, "Yeah, but HE'S dead too!"

Not a satisfactory outcome.
    gatorbait51 and Bill MO like this.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    In one of the related stories, he moved off the line of fire by one step [ he had no other room to move in ] and the speed on tap and his accuracy did the rest. Most of his shootings weren't dynamically moving affairs, per se, though some involved movement. I do agree, moving to avoid getting shot is as important as speed of presentation in most encounters, especially if your draw stroke takes an eternity.
    Have you studied this in Force on Force ?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Jon Payne

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper1969 View Post
    Have you studied this in Force on Force ?
    I have.

Let's note something, ladies and gentlemen: Jelly Bryce was by all accounts gifted with extraordinary eyesight and eye-hand coordination. It is well and good to note how his pure speed was a factor in his victories, but he was also atypical in some of his physical capabilities and attributes. I believe it a mistake to believe that most of us can do it the same way he could, simply because we are not as gifted in this way as he was.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

CR,
    You know I have as well. I am by no means slow and I can be insanely accurate as you have witnessed. My goal is to seamlessly blend speed, accuracy, and dynamic movement. I'm not perfect with this and that's why I work at it a lot. In the fight, getting off the X and superior gun handling will trump speed in and of itself.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Jon Payne

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links