Walk this way: How we walk can increase risk of being mugged/robbed

This is a discussion on Walk this way: How we walk can increase risk of being mugged/robbed within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Think that violent criminals don't have a "system" of sizing up potential victims? Think again. Here's an interesting article and supporting research that's been done ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Walk this way: How we walk can increase risk of being mugged/robbed

Thumbs up Walk this way: How we walk can increase risk of being mugged/robbed

Think that violent criminals don't have a "system" of sizing up potential victims? Think again.

Here's an interesting article and supporting research that's been done to explore this question.

How the way we walk can increase risk of being mugged @ BBC, Nov 5 2013. Overview of the research findings.

Attracting Assault - Victims Nonverbal Cues - Grayson Stein. Potential victims may be signalling their vulnerability to would-be assailants through gestures, posture, and exaggerated movements. <-- Lots of details in this write-up, which is the actual research underlying the article.

Food for thought.
    gatorbait51, Betty and AzQkr like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Interesting read, I was surprised at a gun show a while back when an individual asked how long I had been in the Marines. I informed him I had never been in the Marines but did have 22 years in the USAF. I asked him why he thought I was a Marine and he answered my walk and mannerisms showed that I had confidence in that I was able to take care of myself. I was surprised by his assessment as I have always considered myself as easy going and somewhat a jokester and do have some problems with movement due to a stroke.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

"Walk like a Predator". Nuff said.

I'm not surprised.

Even without the 'scientific' analysis, walking as if you have a purpose and a destination and keeping your eyes level and looking around will deter a huge amount of predators.

As a people watcher, I am constantly amazed at the number of people who jog oblivious to traffic, much less human predators, and others walking to their cars in parking lots with their attention focused on a smart phone screen. It's a wonder there aren't more assaults.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I believe this premis is somewhat true. Some predators tend to seek out the meek, and those who seem lost, or those who look like they are avoiding contact or maybe appear to lack confidence. Then there are those predators who will try anyone, even someone known to be armed.

Situational Awareness ,,,, is the ability to identify, process,
    and comprehend the critical elements of information about
    what is happening to the you with regards to your surroundings.

More simply, it’s knowing what is going on around you.

I always say & try to accomplish alertness, stay alert, stay alert
    my family gets totally tired of hearing it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I was surprised by his assessment as I have always considered myself as easy going and somewhat a jokester and do have some problems with movement due to a stroke.
    I've always known of that as 'having a military bearing'. After 22 years I would be surprised if it didn't show. The strength it shows is why you and not the stroke are the winner.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

I walk with a purpose and always look people in their eyes. I'm hardly ever approached.
    gatorbait51 and RoadKill like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Try something tomorrow. When you go out among the tribes look at each individual in the eyes. They will do all they can to avoid that look.

MSGT trust me when I say command presence is not in just Officers. The knowledge and confidence that got you to MSGT is what shows on your whole persona.

Career criminals read people and body language better than a top ten professor in a masters class.

If anybody knows who thought up this shopping on Thanksgiving please pass their name on to me I would like to introduce them to a sock full of soap bars.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Remember: Walk without rhythm and we won't attract the worm.~DUNE
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

While nothing new, it is a good reminder to walk and conduct yourself with purpose...
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Strut everywhere, grit on everybody and say 'sup? to everyone you meet.
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Yes, I have to echo the general consensus: walk like you have a purpose, don't shamble, stay alert, keep your SA powered up. I'm not talking a constant state of "condition red", but a degree of awareness that keeps you in touch with your surroundings and the people in it.

Dogfather you may want to practice the breast stroke. There is one that has formed up off of Adak Alaska headed your way with a ton of cold and rain in it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Think that violent criminals don't have a "system" of sizing up potential victims? Think again.

Here's an interesting article and supporting research that's been done to explore this question.

How the way we walk can increase risk of being mugged @ BBC, Nov 5 2013. Overview of the research findings.

Attracting Assault - Victims Nonverbal Cues - Grayson Stein. Potential victims may be signalling their vulnerability to would-be assailants through gestures, posture, and exaggerated movements. <-- Lots of details in this write-up, which is the actual research underlying the article.

Food for thought.
    More than food for thought. It's known criminals look for "easy" vics. Body language is an important indicator.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links