Mental Training

Mental Training

This is a discussion on Mental Training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have discussed Guns, Holsters, Ammunition, Muscle memory drills, Training, and Practice. I would like to hear how you prepare and train your mind set ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Mental Training

Distinguished Member

Mental Training

We have discussed Guns, Holsters, Ammunition, Muscle memory drills, Training, and Practice.

I would like to hear how you prepare and train your mind set for killing a human.

To start I have combat experience and know for sure in the US and as a civilian a lot of things are different. For me it started with working on some issues I had over some military experiences. This lead me to Read a book called on Killing by Grossman then on to the warrior mindset. I have studied Sun Tzu and continue that study today. These are the things I use to prepare my mind.

To condense my thoughts the mind is what is going to save me if and when the day comes. Sure I practice shot placement and the other drills of clear a round etc.

Question: What do the rest of you use to train the brain for that critical time if and when it comes.

Thanks
    Bill

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Do what you have to do without any thoughts of surviving or coming out on top.
    Do your best and let the chips fall where they may.

VIP Member
    I honestly don't know that you can train yourself. People on gun forums all claim that they could pull the trigger with no second thought. My time in the Marine Corps tells me that some people have more problems than they'll admit to, or know about, before the moment of truth finds them. A look at history tells us that many soldiers have refused to actually kill. From WWII soldiers admitting they always shot well clear of the enemy to civil war rifles found with multiple balls loaded showing the soldiers appeared to be fighting by reloading but never actually fired their weapons.

In the end it boils down to what is inside of you. Some people can take another life and move on with no ill effects. Some will be haunted by what they had to do. Some will freeze, and others will make a decision not to act. I don't know that reading about the subject or thinking about changes who you are though.

I have tried to have this conversation here before. But the "machismo" of the forum prevents people from admitting to any misgivings they may have. That or we have an extraordinary group of people here that don't share any of the weaknesses that history tells us groups experience.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Like you, I've done a lot of reading and "studying" but nothing has prepared me and conditioned my mindset more than actual life experiences while growing up where I did. I've been attacked (by multiple people at times) about a dozen times in my life, have been shot at multiple times, and robbed at gun point a few times. Through all of these experiences, I've learned that I have absolutely no problem whatsoever using extreme violence in defense of my life.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    We have discussed Guns, Holsters, Ammunition, Muscle memory drills, Training, and Practice.

I would like to hear how you prepare and train your mind set for killing a human.

To start I have combat experience and know for sure in the US and as a civilian a lot of things are different. For me it started with working on some issues I had over some military experiences. This lead me to Read a book called on Killing by Grossman then on to the warrior mindset. I have studied Sun Tzu and continue that study today. These are the things I use to prepare my mind.

To condense my thoughts the mind is what is going to save me if and when the day comes. Sure I practice shot placement and the other drills of clear a round etc.

Question: What do the rest of you use to train the brain for that critical time if and when it comes.

Thanks
    Bill
    Coming to the realization that you must end a threat (yes I said that) is different for each individual. You have some like myself that have had events in life that have caused us to be dam sure that it will never happen again. I like to call that experience based. Others that have been lucky and nothing has ever happened to them, have really no basis on what happens in that moment. They can guess, they can read, they can even ask questions to gain knowledge on the subject, but in truth it is someone else that has provided them the knowledge.

For the lucky folks, I would recommend that they use visualization to help them get up for an event. Using children in trouble will usually get a rise out of most. They have to find understanding that they are right in their thought process and decision making as it pertains to having to end a threat. A conscious decision has to be made, before one someone decides to carry a weapon IMO. Training both in the mental aspect as well as the physical aspect is very important. Sometimes that does not work and the individual will just freeze, it has happened and will happen again.

Having a warrior mindset, never giving up, fighting till its over, winning at all costs is something that is key in any kind of fight. IMO the mental prep is the most important.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Force-on-force scenario training was most helpful for me.
    DRM, gatorbait51 and dangerranger like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I watch Rambo, Hotshots (part one and Part Deux), and Stripes once a year
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I watch Rambo, Hotshots (part one and Part Deux), and Stripes once a year
    Yes, Yes, we know.....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Being Born & Raised in Detroit certainly gave me a head start on a defensive mind-set. Joining the Corps and going to 'Nam was an education... It is true, 'many' trained Marines will jump off a chopper in a Hot LZ and 'choke', when it is clearly time to shoot. I've seen many 'freeze' and get shot &/or killed for their indecision/inability to use deadly force against another.
    Actually, it is "potentially" deadly force as hitting someone with a round is NOT guaranteed 'fatal.
    However, e/one needs to 'decide what they'll do' in any given situation, well ahead of time.

Picture scenarios: Would you allow your wife to be raped, children kidnapped, self stabbed, people in your house tied up? etc., etc., etc.
    Keep thinking in such a way and you will be less likely to 'choke'.
    Some tell themselves the rounds are unlikely to kill; just to STOP.... that's "True Enough". Whatever gets the 'necessary' job done.
    gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    Do what you have to do without any thoughts of surviving or coming out on top.
    Do your best and let the chips fall where they may.
    My dad's advice when I came down on levy was to assume I was dead already. Made everything much,much easier to deal with .

Distinguished Member
    SunTzu

I think we can tell when that time of year is by your posts.

Thanks for the answers. I would guess we can train for it if you believe the reports. The Military has greatly increased its return of fire through its new training efforts.

I have never yet been bothered as long as the combatants are the only ones injured or killed. I still feel for the innocent ones that get hurt or killed by the combat. I will say I do not like the part of me that comes alive and fights with no compassion and no quit. I am greatful it is there but not something I would want Mom to see.

Bill

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I train the body and mind to react to deadly threats. The physical movement is connected to the brain or to the mind as you put it, through muscle memory that controls how you will react under stress in a deadly encounter. These skills are practiced over and over until they are second nature. Identify the threat, react. I don't do anything to desensitize myself for being forced to react to a deadly threat. It is a fundamental human instinct to defend yourself against such threats. How will I, the human being feel if I ever have to use deadly force to preserve my life? I don't know, and I pray to God I never find out.
    gatorbait51 and manolito like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Force-on-force scenario training was most helpful for me.
    I agree with Mike1956, but would qualify it by stating "good" FoF training. The first few times I did this was in a fairly confined area with Airsoft guns. You could definitely feel the adrenaline flowing, but it wasn't very realistic. It wasn't until I had FoF training in a large building (old restaurant) that had many hiding areas and blind turns, and had guys like ex-Rangers firing at you with Sim guns, that I fully appreciated the difference.

One of the guys told us that they would not keep shooting you unless you were doing something stupid. I walked into an area that looked safe, turned towards the next corner, and proceeded to be shot in the back (8 times). I just froze, and I remember thinking, "I must be dead by now." The instructor jokingly pointed out that this was one of those stupid things he mentioned earlier, and then started asking me questions about why I did what I did. This was the first time I had been shot with these and it hurt a lot more than Airsoft BBs. I had told myself that i would "keep in the fight," but this was different enough an experience to completely break that down. After experiencing and understanding that it became very easy to take a hit, move to cover, and stay in the fight. As an aside, the instructor who shot me was near the back of a room where you really could not see him. He showed me what he did and why - which was very helpful.

One of the best early things I did was buy and watch the "Bulletproof Mind" DVD set by Col. Dave Grossman. That made me think of scenarios that I had never even considered as a possibility. It was worth the $100 for the set (I've watched it three times over the past two years and each time I pick-up something new).

The other thing that I have read (on the Bang Switch blog) but not done myself is use first person shooter games. The author noted that in a real shootout (he's a LEO) he reacted to things he had done in games hundreds of times, and that the few split seconds saved probably made a difference. It seems logical enough, but I'm just not a fan of video games.

The other thing I read a while back (don't remember where) is to tell yourself every morning that this is the day you will need to use your firearm to protect yourself (and really believe it). This blog had several dash cam videos of cops being shot at (after chasing people, and in one case after a truck made stopped in a tactical manner in front of the squad car) where the police officers seemed truly surprised that someone was shooting at them. The assertion being made was that even though these guys knew that they had a dangerous job, they likely never considered something like this would happen to them (i.e., they lacked the mental preparation).

All good things IMO.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    All the training and mindset go's out window when your life is on the line! Your gut will tell you have a problem, At that moment your instinct RULES! Then at least it should,. Survival comes in play, and then you do whatever you have to do to survive. Your gut will feel and know. Also you will have options 1-run 2-hide 3-fight. in any order. TAKE CARE OF #1 YOU
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    SunTzu

I think we can tell when that time of year is by your posts.

Thanks for the answers. I would guess we can train for it if you believe the reports. The Military has greatly increased its return of fire through its new training efforts.

I have never yet been bothered as long as the combatants are the only ones injured or killed. I still feel for the innocent ones that get hurt or killed by the combat. I will say I do not like the part of me that comes alive and fights with no compassion and no quit. I am greatful it is there but not something I would want Mom to see.

Bill
    It is the most wonderful time of the year
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links