Who are the most unsafe shooters at the range?

This is a discussion on Who are the most unsafe shooters at the range? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In your experience who are the most unsafe shooters you meet at the range? How do you deal with being "flagged" by someone's muzzle? ?I?m ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree268Likes

Thread: Who are the most unsafe shooters at the range?

Who are the most unsafe shooters at the range?

In your experience who are the most unsafe shooters you meet at the range? How do you deal with being "flagged" by someone's muzzle?

?I?m the only one professional enough?? | Gun Safety Blog

2. Remove Ads

I always try to get a end station so I can just keep an eye on one guy. I have no problem helping someone be safer an try to be civil when explaining how they are being unsafe. I see to many loud mouths hollering at someone instead of helping them.

Anyone has the propensity for doing stupid things at a range. I've seen newbies as well as what would be considered experienced shooters doing dumb things. I never hesitate to say something. Depending on what it is, I'll either be nice and thoughtful in my response or I'll yell. I shoot in a range that is open 24 hours a day and there is never a RSO. You're on your own in that type of environment. Remember it's your life you're protecting. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Tourists (mostly flatlanders from NY, Conn, and MA) that come up to the county range and have zero clue on what to do. It is an uncontrolled range so no RSO. THough I sometimes wonder if that would make a difference LOL....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Like that article said, longtime informal shooters who think they know everything already, and don't take constructive criticism nicely. I'm only 22 but if anyone offered me advice I'd thank them, and apply it if it seems sensible. (Sometimes you get people giving wrong advice )

I took my brother shooting for the first time and had to tell him only once to always remember to point it downrange /in a safe direction, even if unloaded.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

I am there to be helpful if need be. If someone is responsive to suggestions I am up for that. That being said, some people just do not learn. Then I personally would leave. Safety first.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    I like the " Eleven Ways to Be a Better Shooting Range Neighbor". I don't get to the range very often( it's an hour away) but I have not yet had a undesirable experience there. Most times it's only me shooting. We all should practice these. Thanks for posting.
    gatorbait51 and nortelrye like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Everyone but me!
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    I always try to get a end station so I can just keep an eye on one guy. I have no problem helping someone be safer an try to be civil when explaining how they are being unsafe. I see to many loud mouths hollering at someone instead of helping them.
    The way I try to do it is, "Sir, you just pointed your gun at me and my friends. If the range officer saw that he would throw you off the range. Please keep the gun pointed downrange."

The most common safety errors I've seen are:

• Taking the gun out of the booth unholstered and uncased and flagging everyone in the room
    • Doing a reload with the muzzle pointed toward the next booth instead of downrange.
    • Putting a gun on the booth table with the muzzle not pointed downrange
    • Putting the gun on the booth table with the action closed and the ejection port not visible

Say someone comes to the range with a range bag. You notice a cleaning rod in it...maybe something like a staple gun to put up targets with, a spotting scope, lays his stuff out carefully, and properly, its a better than average bet that hes going to be pretty safe.

In general, squared away people seem to be safer. I also dont care for groups of teens who like to act out "gansta" movie scenes while all lined up, and firing away, shoulder to shoulder.

i once seen a guy go back behine the line and sit down in a chair to un-jam his gun. I tried to nicely tell him to unjam his gun with it pointed down range and not at peoples backs
    gatorbait51 and dragonfly13 like this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The people that ALWAYS scare me are the ones you hear say something to the effect; "I have been shooting for years, I know what I am doing". Complacency will get you every time.

A couple of range visits ago we had a guy next to us that kept turning talk to his girlfriend and ending up pointing right at us. After a couple of times I went over took his pistol from his hand, unloaded it, put it in the case and told him that if he pointed it as us again, he was going to have a very bad day. He looked at me like I was crazy, mumbled some stuff to his girlfriend and left.

The range I use is members only, with 15 lanes. Even with that, there are usually 2 RO's on deck most of the time.

New shooters have one of them with them until the RO is sure they will be ok on their own
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Gerry
    Ft Collins

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Im fortunate enough to frequent a range that has a minimum of 4 range officers on duty at one time and they are nice and strict.
    gatorbait51 and Gun_guy like this.

I've noticed it way more with pistols than long guns.

It seems everyone gets it with long guns and is aware of where its pointing. But it seems like with pistols they just point 'em every which way and don't think about it. Odd, but I've definitely noticed it.

That video never gets old though...I love how it was an "unloaded gun" right up until he shot himself with it.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links