Change in the threat environment?

This is a discussion on Change in the threat environment? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think there has been. I'm not resolutely certain that it is an actual change in the environment more than a change in perception of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Change in the threat environment?

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar

I think there has been. I'm not resolutely certain that it is an actual change in the environment more than a change in perception of it, though a case could be made for there being an actual change in some aspects of the physical threat environment we live in today.

The change in the threat environment can be stated in one sentence:

There is no safe place any more.

Now, it could be said that there never has been. What I think there have been before, though, are places that could be considered safer mainly because it was more difficult for criminals to reach them, and because society in earlier times enforced, sometimes overtly, the concepts of delineated neighborhoods and populations (the 'wrong side of the track' idea, basically). Those delineations have been broken down to a great degree (there is both good and bad in this as in many things). The main factor denying anyone a really safe place, however, is modern transportation. Criminals now can get in a car or hop on a bus and go from where there's nothing they can get to where there's everything they want. Business district, restaurant row, multiplex theaters, suburbs, small towns well outside the big-city limits, well-and-truly rural...name the area, the criminal can get to it without a great deal of trouble.

Demonstrations of this appear in the news reports from time to time. Communities that still keep their windows open and doors unlocked suffer predation, and yet more innocence (actually, it seems more like naivete nowadays) is lost. Horrific crimes are committed miles away from any so-called 'bad part of town'. There are still 'bad parts of town', sure, but the people in those parts are traveling to other parts to do their deed nowadays. After all, that's where the money and the murder and the raping is, and less chance of finding another predator or counter-predator there than around where they live.

There is no safe place any more. To not fully realize this is to risk being completely and utterly surprised and very off-balance instead of perhaps still suffering some surprise but not enough to keep you from acting immediately and decisively to counter the threat against you and yours.

Now, some reading this are going to take it the wrong way at first. "No safe place? I have to be looking for an attack everywhere? That's paranoid! I will NOT live my life in fear!"

I can see it coming, so let me make something clear: No paranoia required, no living in fear needed, to adequately and (I would say) relatively easily increase your level of safety and preparation. Absolutely no need for anything like that. Fearfulness and paranoia (clinical or not) are actually going to be quite counterproductive to you, in fact. So let's not go there, please.

How, then, to respond to this? How, then, to think about it?

First, acknowledge the reality that bad things can happen to good people even in good places. It can't be a surface or intellectual acknowledgement if it's going to do you any good. Has to be more a quiet realization that there's a possibility of Bad Things Coming no matter where you are at the time. This is the most important step, one many people have not taken even knowing they should.

Once that's done, the next step is to make a rather subtle attitude change. It may happen when the quiet realization is made, or it may have to be adopted consciously. I'm afraid I'm going to have trouble describing this simply or easily, and I may have to come back and change it after I've done it to make it clearer, but here goes: There's an element of low-level background skepticism about most places, most people, most situations and environments you go through. It's not strong, it's not something that takes your attention unless something specific raises a flag. You'll have to look for it consciously to find it. It will be there, though, and you will see its affects mainly in the way your outlook and your posture and position (non-physical mostly, but it could affect the physical as well) changes in relation to places, people, and relationships (business and personal). You'll find yourself setting things up, here and there, now and again, improving your position against the possibility of surprise attack. It's not the same thing as Situational Awareness, but it will, probably, have some affect on that among other things. It's possible you won't notice the changes this attitude is driving for a while. You'll just realize one day that your outlook and some of your habits large and small and some of the choices you make are different than they used to be. Then you get to decide if that's okay or not. Then you either change it back and go on about your life or just go on about your life.

People like Roger Phillips and glockman10mm can probably explain this better than I can. There are others, of course, people that have lived in higher-threat environments than I have for a long time, but I know those two have. Others who have and who will comment on this, please do so.

The great news about this is that it doesn't have to change anything significant. You can still give people you meet the benefit of the doubt. You can still trust someone or some group as much as you want. You don't have to cut people out or change the way you take to them or anything. You can still go where you want and do what you want. No 'bunkering up', mental or physical, to it. Make the realization, adopt the attitude, maybe some things change, maybe they don't, but you're still living your life the way you want to live it.

Some of you will wonder why I'm stating the obvious here. Fact is, even some here haven't fully realized the reality of the threat we're all facing. And some who have reject it because they think it means they have to go all paranoid 'n stuff once they accept it. So I want to make sure it's stated, and that it's clear that you can still live with it.

So there it is. Increased security and preparedness and you get to live your life like you want still.

What's not to like about that?

Note: I may be completely freakin' wrong about all of this. Don't hesitate to say so if you think so. I'd like to hash this concept out one way or the other.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Note: I may be completely freakin' wrong about all of this. Don't hesitate to say so if you think so. I'd like to hash this concept out one way or the other.
    As someone who lives in a relatively "quite safe" area I think you are freakin' right!

I know, my security, SA and preparedness levels are much higher than they used to be, partly because of training classes we have attended, but I give credit for a LOT of my increased awareness to this forum.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    There is no safe place any more. To not fully realize this is to risk being completely and utterly surprised and very off-balance ...

Relinquish our illusions. Anytime/anywhere is reality. Given that, it's hard to presuppose it can't happen to us, can't happen here or now, can't happen because we're carrying a given talisman or dressed well or whatever.

Get training. Effective, high-quality training can dispel myths and illusions faster than most things, if approached correctly. Amazing how silly our rationalizing seems once shown to be the utter malarkey it really is, once training cuts the illusions down to size. FoF has a way of seriously readjusting mindset and basic preparations, showing holes where previously no holes could be seen.

So there it is. Increased security and preparedness and you get to live your life like you want still.

The likely uselessness of such subtle steps. Unless tested and measured, such small changes are likely to bear little fruit when under the proverbial upraised knife. I'm all for a more in-with-both-feet approach. Hard to make all the basic changes necessary going after it halfway. A good example is the recent post (earlier today, IIRC) about the OP's parents, who recently acquired firearms but didn't have a practical clue about the simple realities ... despite ostensibly understanding that things can happen anytime, anywhere.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I don't think you are wrong at all. There is no "safe place" anymore, maybe never was. And not going through life in condition white is not paranoia, it's reality. There have always been and always will be those who choose to keep their heads buried in the sand, creating the illusion of "that happens to some one else", always looking through rose colored glasses, because to look at the world the way it really is, is just too hard for some. We are not paranoid, we just see things for what they are.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Being born & raised in Detroit, I think I began with a decent view of 'reality' regarding 'personal safety'. Got my butt-kicked on the way to Kindergarten a few times.

Around 1990, Crack & Meth took our society by surprise and it will never be the same again. There is no "Mayberry" anymore.

I have answered countless 911 calls in my life; and probably got to 4-5 in time.

People are responsible for their own safety and for the safety of those in their care. Anyone who says different, probably has a bodyguard close by.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

The only part of your post that I do disagree with is the statement, "There is no safe place anymore". Which implies that this was not always the case. I think that because of the excelerating speed and methods of which information travel it may seem like more bad things are happening and in more "uncommon" places. I propose that its not as much a case of more incidents occuring, just that we hear about SO many more of them than they did 50 years ago.

VIP Member
    I live in a town that is considered the safest city in Louisiana, it is a suburb of New Orleans but we have a very proactive PD and the majority of the citizenry is both supportive and active. That said, in the last several months we are seeing an uptick in break ins ,generally during the day . My neighborhood and one less than a mile away are considered VERY nice yet we are having these crimes happen even with the patrolling. My neighbor is a State Trooper, the next Police Chief lives about 6 houses down but there we have it.

There have never, truly, been perfectly safe places and bad things can ,and obviously do, to nice people. It appears that this is now starting to become more widespread, whether in actuality or in reportage. So, part of the problem is awareness and response. The other deeper issue is acknowledging the reality . Denial is easy, reality is hard .

I guess I'm just not personally witnessing more violence. But based on what I see and hear from second and third hand accounts it does certainly seem to be increasing. I find the new "knockout" phenomenon particularly disturbing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I guess I am missing the point of the the OP's post. When has there ever been "safe" places? We have had cars for a long time. BG's have always travelled to committ crimes. Ever watch a western? They did back then on horses. I lived in the Boston area grwoing up and in many respects it is safer now than when I was growing up. Times change and places change. It is a cycle.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    I think there has been. I'm not resolutely certain that it is an actual change in the environment more than a change in perception of it, though a case could be made for there being an actual change in some aspects of the physical threat environment we live in today.

The change in the threat environment can be stated in one sentence:

There is no safe place any more.

Now, it could be said that there never has been. What I think there have been before, though, are places that could be considered safer mainly because it was more difficult for criminals to reach them, and because society in earlier times enforced, sometimes overtly, the concepts of delineated neighborhoods and populations (the 'wrong side of the track' idea, basically). Those delineations have been broken down to a great degree (there is both good and bad in this as in many things). The main factor denying anyone a really safe place, however, is modern transportation. Criminals now can get in a car or hop on a bus and go from where there's nothing they can get to where there's everything they want. Business district, restaurant row, multiplex theaters, suburbs, small towns well outside the big-city limits, well-and-truly rural...name the area, the criminal can get to it without a great deal of trouble.

Demonstrations of this appear in the news reports from time to time. Communities that still keep their windows open and doors unlocked suffer predation, and yet more innocence (actually, it seems more like naivete nowadays) is lost. Horrific crimes are committed miles away from any so-called 'bad part of town'. There are still 'bad parts of town', sure, but the people in those parts are traveling to other parts to do their deed nowadays. After all, that's where the money and the murder and the raping is, and less chance of finding another predator or counter-predator there than around where they live.

There is no safe place any more. To not fully realize this is to risk being completely and utterly surprised and very off-balance instead of perhaps still suffering some surprise but not enough to keep you from acting immediately and decisively to counter the threat against you and yours.

Now, some reading this are going to take it the wrong way at first. "No safe place? I have to be looking for an attack everywhere? That's paranoid! I will NOT live my life in fear!"

I can see it coming, so let me make something clear: No paranoia required, no living in fear needed, to adequately and (I would say) relatively easily increase your level of safety and preparation. Absolutely no need for anything like that. Fearfulness and paranoia (clinical or not) are actually going to be quite counterproductive to you, in fact. So let's not go there, please.

First, acknowledge the reality that bad things can happen to good people even in good places. It can't be a surface or intellectual acknowledgement if it's going to do you any good. Has to be more a quiet realization that there's a possibility of Bad Things Coming no matter where you are at the time. This is the most important step, one many people have not taken even knowing they should.

Once that's done, the next step is to make a rather subtle attitude change. It may happen when the quiet realization is made, or it may have to be adopted consciously. I'm afraid I'm going to have trouble describing this simply or easily, and I may have to come back and change it after I've done it to make it clearer, but here goes: There's an element of low-level background skepticism about most places, most people, most situations and environments you go through. It's not strong, it's not something that takes your attention unless something specific raises a flag. You'll have to look for it consciously to find it. It will be there, though, and you will see its affects mainly in the way your outlook and your posture and position (non-physical mostly, but it could affect the physical as well) changes in relation to places, people, and relationships (business and personal). You'll find yourself setting things up, here and there, now and again, improving your position against the possibility of surprise attack. It's not the same thing as Situational Awareness, but it will, probably, have some affect on that among other things. It's possible you won't notice the changes this attitude is driving for a while. You'll just realize one day that your outlook and some of your habits large and small and some of the choices you make are different than they used to be. Then you get to decide if that's okay or not. Then you either change it back and go on about your life or just go on about your life.

People like Roger Phillips and glockman10mm can probably explain this better than I can. There are others, of course, people that have lived in higher-threat environments than I have for a long time, but I know those two have. Others who have and who will comment on this, please do so.

The great news about this is that it doesn't have to change anything significant. You can still give people you meet the benefit of the doubt. You can still trust someone or some group as much as you want. You don't have to cut people out or change the way you take to them or anything. You can still go where you want and do what you want. No 'bunkering up', mental or physical, to it. Make the realization, adopt the attitude, maybe some things change, maybe they don't, but you're still living your life the way you want to live it.

Some of you will wonder why I'm stating the obvious here. Fact is, even some here haven't fully realized the reality of the threat we're all facing. And some who have reject it because they think it means they have to go all paranoid 'n stuff once they accept it. So I want to make sure it's stated, and that it's clear that you can still live with it.

Wise words...

My wife sometimes gives me a hard time about carrying around the house. She says why cant you leave it i the bedroom where you know you can get to it ....RIGHT!!!! I tell her don't worry the gun ain't going to jump out of my holster on it's own.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Angry It's always been here...................

1959:

Herbert Clutter was a devout Methodist and a widely respected self-made man, who had established a successful and very prosperous farm from modest beginnings. He employed as many as 18 farm hands, and former employees reportedly admired and respected him for his fair treatment and good wages. His four children—three girls and a boy—were also widely respected in the community. The elder daughters, Eveanna and Beverly, had moved out of their parents' home and started their adult lives. The two younger children, Nancy, 16, and Kenyon, 15, were high school students living at home. Clutter's wife, Bonnie, a member of the local garden club, had been incapacitated by clinical depression and physical ailments since the births of her children,although this characterization of her has been disputed by surviving family members.

Two ex-convicts on parole from the Kansas State Penitentiary, Richard "Dick" Hickock and Perry Edward Smith, committed the robbery and murders on November 15, 1959. One of their former fellow prisoners was Floyd Wells, who had worked as a farmhand for Mr. Clutter. Wells told Hickock about a safe at the farmhouse where Herb Clutter kept large amounts of cash. Hickock soon hatched the idea to commit the robbery, leave no witnesses, and start a new life in Mexico with the cash. According to Capote, Hickock described his plan as "a cinch, the perfect score." Hickock later contacted Smith, his former cellmate, about committing the robbery with him. The information from Wells proved to be false, since Herb Clutter did not keep cash on hand, had no safe, and did all his business by check, to keep better track of transactions.
    After driving across the state of Kansas on November 14, 1959, Hickock and Smith located the Clutter home and entered while the family slept. After they roused the family and discovered that there was no money to be found, Smith, notoriously unstable and prone to violent acts in fits of rage, slit Herb Clutter's throat, and then shot him in the head. Capote writes that Smith recounted later, "I didn't want to harm the man. I thought he was a very nice gentleman. Soft spoken. I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat." Kenyon, Nancy, and then Mrs. Clutter were also murdered, each by a single shotgun blast to the head.
    It's always been present in one form or another. It's always been present, sometimes more prevalent, sometimes less. Mobility makes it more geographically diverse, the MSM makes it more front of mind.

Please allow me to introduce myself
    I'm a man of wealth and taste
    I've been around for a long, long year
    Stole many a man's soul and faith
    And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
    Had his moment of doubt and pain
    Made damn sure that Pilate
    Washed his hands and sealed his fate
    Pleased to meet you
    Hope you guess my name
    But what's puzzling you
    Is the nature of my game
    I stuck around St. Petersburg
    When I saw it was a time for a change
    Killed the czar and his ministers
    Anastasia screamed in vain
    I rode a tank
    Held a general's rank
    When the blitzkrieg raged
    And the bodies stank
    Pleased to meet you
    Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
    Ah, what's puzzling you
    Is the nature of my game, oh yeah
    I watched with glee
    While your kings and queens
    Fought for ten decades
    For the gods they made
    I shouted out,
    "Who killed the Kennedys?"
    When after all
    It was you and me
    Let me please introduce myself
    I'm a man of wealth and taste
    And I laid traps for troubadours
    Who get killed before they reached Bombay
    Pleased to meet you
    Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
    But what's puzzling you
    Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby
    Pleased to meet you
    Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
    But what's confusing you
    Is just the nature of my game
    Just as every cop is a criminal
    And all the sinners saints
    As heads is tails
    Just call me Lucifer
    Cause I'm in need of some restraint
    So if you meet me
    Have some courtesy
    Have some sympathy, and some taste
    Use all your well-learned politesse
    Or I'll lay your soul to waste, um yeah
    Pleased to meet you
    Hope you guessed my name, um yeah
    But what's puzzling you
    Is the nature of my game, um mean it, get down
    Woo, who
    Oh yeah, get on down
    Oh yeah
    Oh yeah!
    Tell me baby, what's my name
    Tell me honey, can ya guess my name
    Tell me baby, what's my name
    I tell you one time, you're to blame

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

The threat is changing. When we went to work years ago our houses got burglarized, so we installed alarms. Now they wait for us to be at home to invade, assault us and rob us, so we got guns and training, next they will kidnap our relatives and demand money, and we will; what???

200 years ago dueling was a common though usually illegal practice. Political factions routinely murdered each other at political rallies. Oh yeah don't forget slavery

100 years ago night riders lynched their victims and burned houses and barns in revenge for both real and imagined slights

Today people turn on Fox News and after seeing sensationalized reports of atrocities committed hundreds or thousands of miles away and they whine like little girls about how awful it is

Suck it up and act like a man. Maybe a particular area has a crime wave or maybe not. But I advise to stop getting sucked in by the infotainment offered by people with something too try to sell or a political axe to grind and read some history then thank whatever version of god you may acknowledge that you live in such peaceful times
    Doghandler likes this.

`I came to CC because of a specific, identified threat. So, when that threat was sent off to prison, and the threat passed, I often did not carry, outside a vehicle.

Then of course you hear about school shootings, or mall shootings. A former classmate of mine was shot in the Omaha mall shooting. He lived. He was shot in the arm. Anyway, you get to thinking if its someone you KNOW who got shot, and it was one of the nicest places in Omaha, that it could easily happen to you somewhere else.

Honestly, Id rather not carry, in many places. Id rather it be "safe". But its not getting better out there, its getting worse. And so goes life.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links