Is it worth it to buy is SIRT if I don't own a Glock?

This is a discussion on Is it worth it to buy is SIRT if I don't own a Glock? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been ogling the SIRT training pistol for a long time. It's got a lot of great features and looks like a good training tool, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is it worth it to buy is SIRT if I don't own a Glock?

I've been ogling the SIRT training pistol for a long time. It's got a lot of great features and looks like a good training tool, but I have no intention of ever owning another Glock (won't flatly rule it out but I have no interest in getting one again at the moment). To anyone that doesn't run Glocks but has used the SIRT do you think it's a worthwhile investment? Is the trigger adjustable enough to mimic other firearms? I do carry a Beretta Nano quite a bit and it's pretty similar in feel to a Glock trigger wise (but slightly better than a Glock to me). But I prefer to carry a cocked-and-locked HK P30S.

The SIRT is not a trivial investment at over $400. It would be nice for the trigger practice but only if it's adjustable enough to simulate other kinds of guns.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

2. Remove Ads

Now,,,,, remember I am old school,,,,but I do not see the
    point of spending that much money to practice with something
    that does not go BOOM,,,, when I pull the trigger. I would
    just put that money on a new REAL PISTOL.
    and do real practice.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    Now,,,,, remember I am old school,,,,but I do not see the
    point of spending that much money to practice with something
    that does not go BOOM,,,, when I pull the trigger. I would
    just put that money on a new REAL PISTOL.
    and do real practice.
    Laser training is "real practice". In fact you can learn things with a laser system and the right training system (OCAT System) that you can't learn with "live rounds". Our system can tell you what movement you are putting into the muzzle when you pull the trigger using a laser, not as easy to do using live rounds.

The biggest difference is that with laser training you can do it much cheaper and you can do it at your own home without finding time to get out to the range. Yes, you still want to get out to the range when you can, but this gives you a lot more training than most people can get in with live fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I've been ogling the SIRT training pistol for a long time. It's got a lot of great features and looks like a good training tool, but I have no intention of ever owning another Glock (won't flatly rule it out but I have no interest in getting one again at the moment). To anyone that doesn't run Glocks but has used the SIRT do you think it's a worthwhile investment? Is the trigger adjustable enough to mimic other firearms? I do carry a Beretta Nano quite a bit and it's pretty similar in feel to a Glock trigger wise (but slightly better than a Glock to me). But I prefer to carry a cocked-and-locked HK P30S.

The SIRT is not a trivial investment at over $400. It would be nice for the trigger practice but only if it's adjustable enough to simulate other kinds of guns.
    We have a SIRT and we use it with the OCAT System. The are built like tanks and the nice thing about them is the just work and work. They don't really feel like a Glock to me. It is just there to feel like a generic firearm, practice your sight picture and trigger control.

Instead of getting a SIRT you might just want to look into getting a laser training insert for the firearm you use.
    jenatron likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    We have a SIRT and we use it with the OCAT System. The are built like tanks and the nice thing about them is the just work and work. They don't really feel like a Glock to me. It is just there to feel like a generic firearm, practice your sight picture and trigger control.

Instead of getting a SIRT you might just want to look into getting a laser training insert for the firearm you use.
    Thanks! The SIRT might not be ideal for me to practice the draw-and-shoot since I run Condition One but just trigger manipulation it will probably work. I don't want to get a laser insert because that defeats the best feature of the SIRT, the self-resetting part.

I'm sold on idea of the SIRT after seeing a dozen good videos on it. It sucks that it costs almost as much as a real gun but it's probably worth it. Maybe when I get my tax return back...
    Christopher67 likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Thanks! The SIRT might not be ideal for me to practice the draw-and-shoot since I run Condition One but just trigger manipulation it will probably work. I don't want to get a laser insert because that defeats the best feature of the SIRT, the self-resetting part.

I'm sold on idea of the SIRT after seeing a dozen good videos on it. It sucks that it costs almost as much as a real gun but it's probably worth it. Maybe when I get my tax return back...

NextLevel Training Which one are you going to get? I've been thinking about getting one of these as well.

I plan to suck it up and buy the top level one, in Purple since it happens to be my favorite color (and heaven help me I'm a Vikings fan). It probably won't be til late 1st Q 2014, though. Gotta pick up my HK USC off layaway first.
    Christopher67 likes this.

I plan to suck it up and buy the top level one, in Purple since it happens to be my favorite color (and heaven help me I'm a Vikings fan). It probably won't be til late 1st Q 2014, though. Gotta pick up my HK USC off layaway first.

Go Patriots!~ LOL

I have the SIRT and it's very Glock centric. It's a dead ringer to my G17. It will feel more like a Glock than most of your pistols and the grip angle and girth will feel strange if you don't like Glocks. But the trigger tension can be personalized to mimic that of your preferred pistol.

IMO the training value of a SIRT somewhat diminishes if the gun you're training for isn't a Glock. I would get laserlyte cartridges instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DetChris; December 17th, 2013 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher67 View Post
    Go Patriots!~ LOL
    Hahaha! When you're a Vikes fan you need another team to root for in the playoffs. So the Pats are my playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I have the SIRT and it's very Glock centric. It's a dead ringer to my G17. It will feel more like a Glock than most of your pistols and the grip angle and girth will feel strange if you don't like Glocks. But the trigger tension can be personalized to mimic that of your preferred pistol.

IMO the training value of a SIRT somewhat diminishes if the gun you're training for isn't a Glock. I would get laserlyte cartridges instead.
    The laserlyte cartridges get pretty poor/mixed reviews and don't seem to be very durable or reliable. In any event I would consider it a waste of money since it does nothing to provide a self resetting trigger.

The self resetting trigger is indeed the cats meow and the main reason to own a SIRT. But the ergos are distinctly Glock. So as the trigger travel and stack up. The thing about dry fire is having the point ability and ergos of your carry gun. The SIRT will only successfully do that for Glock users. Every other gun owner has to realize it will be but an abbreviated training tool with no real ties to their real guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Phaedrus, the only reason I haven't invested in the SIRT, yet, is because Glocks aren't my primary handguns. I'll eventually get to really putting in the time with my Glocks, but for now, they're back-seat, and really, that's what's held me back from going the way of the SIRT.

I honestly believe that there's different tools for different goals.

I think that the SIRT offers a tremendously strong package for Glock users, however, like DetChris, I believe that the value diminishes when you're not a primary Glock user. You get sights, ergos/handling, and, at least somewhat reasonably, trigger. Top this off without the need to reset the striker mechanism each time to effect shots-on-target that register in a quantifiable and indisputable manner, and yeah, it's an *AMAZING* tool for the serious student.

As a XDm shooter, I'm using truncated-distance and scaled-down range to allow for effective practice with my airsoft XDm to accomplish the sights and ergos/handling portion of the training, but there's no good way for me to replicate the trigger. I can reasonably quantitate marksmanship performance this way, but there's still some issues there.

Certainly, neither method really simulates recoil.

I like airsoft and feel it's a good training tool. But I lost the screw that holds down the rear sight of my airsoft 1911. Gotta fix that darned thing so I can use it!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Open up your hardware kit and see what's available. Even with a "metal slide" for these airsofts, it's usually very soft stuff, what we Americans would call "pot metal," and you should be able to pretty easily cut a new screw for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Certainly, neither method really simulates recoil.
    I hear that all of the time and the reality is that it doesn't matter nearly as much as people think it does. As long as you move the gun off target between shots, you get the same training. Why? Because by the time recoil takes place, you have already done everything you needed to put the round on target. All recoil does is take you off target for the next shot.

And I end up doing a lot more training because I am doing laser training than I would if I had to head out to the range every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links