Anybody got some stick training?

This is a discussion on Anybody got some stick training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This one shows one of my sgt's I worked with who was a state body building champ at the time. He'd had only 10 hours ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Anybody got some stick training?

Sponsor

Anybody got some stick training?

This one shows one of my sgt's I worked with who was a state body building champ at the time. He'd had only 10 hours on the sticks from me with many hours of practice in between.

Stick training - YouTube
    gatorbait51 and Exacto like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Yes I do. Filipino Kali (Escrima) is part of the martial arts program I train in to include Mua Thai, JKD, and a little bit of BJJ with traditional boxing. The video shows a basic 'flow drill'. The beauty of Kali is the movements you learn, blocks/disarms are applicable to open hand, knife and stick work. Know all those cool moves you see in movies like the Bourne Series....it's predominately Kali. If you are comfortable with 1 or 2 Kali sticks and practice you can seriously mess an oponent up. I'm in places at times where I can't have a firearm but I have an ASP in the car at all times.

Check out this video from Guru Dan Inosanto. Dan Inosanto was one of the earliest students of Bruce Lee and taught our master instructor. Don't think this is fast....Guru Dan at speed is unbelievable. DAN INOSANTO KALI DEMO AT THE SMITHSONIAN MUSEUM - YouTube

VIP Member
    Yes-- but not nearly enough. Modern Arnis and Bo-staff.

Aw, that's the baby stuff you showed.

Seriously, everyone can use some stick/cane techniques. A BG (and this concerns me as I faced
    the possibility one time) can crib knives in a closed fist and use that motion you showed to cut someone
    to shreds before they know what happened.

I liked the tempo at which that was done. Lots of times
    there is a pause after the third contact and it sounds like one two three pause one two three, instead of a continuous
    smooth pattern. Nicely done.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by DonPablo_VA View Post
    Yes I do. Filipino Kali (Escrima) is part of the martial arts program I train in to include Mua Thai, JKD, and a little bit of BJJ with traditional boxing. The video shows a basic 'flow drill'. The beauty of Kali is the movements you learn, blocks/disarms are applicable to open hand, knife and stick work. Know all those cool moves you see in movies like the Bourne Series....it's predominately Kali. If you are comfortable with 1 or 2 Kali sticks and practice you can seriously mess an oponent up. I'm in places at times where I can't have a firearm but I have an ASP in the car at all times.

Check out this video from Guru Dan Inosanto. Dan Inosanto was one of the earliest students of Bruce Lee and taught our master instructor. Don't think this is fast....Guru Dan at speed is unbelievable. DAN INOSANTO KALI DEMO AT THE SMITHSONIAN MUSEUM - YouTube
    I employed Danny and his partner of many years Larry Hartsell at the Flynt mansion in 83-84 as part of the night shift security force as the director of security at their mansion/home. When I left that job, Danny handed me an original Cold Steel tanto that I still have today in my collection.

Great guys to watch work "sticky hands" in the mansion on breaks at night. Danny and Larry both brought skills I wanted in security personnel when possible.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonPablo_VA View Post
    Yes I do. Filipino Kali (Escrima) is part of the martial arts program I train in to include Mua Thai, JKD, and a little bit of BJJ with traditional boxing. The video shows a basic 'flow drill'. The beauty of Kali is the movements you learn, blocks/disarms are applicable to open hand, knife and stick work. Know all those cool moves you see in movies like the Bourne Series....it's predominately Kali.
    There are tremendously versatile empty hand techniques to be learned from the sticks. Only problem I have with it
    is that Modern Arnis (what ever version and name, escrima, kali, etc.) is a true art and as the piano or violin it takes lots of time to learn it.

That double sinawali shown in the video doesn't come easy; and that's just the very start of the art.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I have gone to three schools and have many years experience with nightstick or baton and was an ASP instructor. Unless there is more to what you showed in the video it looks about like any other sparring. I am more of the block, trap, disarm, disable school of thought than endlessly trading blows until some one gets a lucky shot.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Yes there is much more. There are flow drills, sparring but there are disarms too. Intent is to hit the hand or the radial nerve which usually means the weapon in the hand of the opponent is going to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I have gone to three schools and have many years experience with nightstick or baton and was an ASP instructor. Unless there is more to what you showed in the video it looks about like any other sparring. I am more of the block, trap, disarm, disable school of thought than endlessly trading blows until some one gets a lucky shot.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    That is just a warm up exercise. No one expects to stand there trading bat-on-bat blows in a real world fight.

But if you know sinawalis you can get a lot of blows in quickly, with or without the stick.
    AzQkr and gatorbait51 like this.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacomunchkin View Post
    ND-bo-staff.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Well, many long guns can also be wielded as a bo-staff. Brooms, rakes, shovels, etc., too. They all look nice
    and innocent and harmless but can be strategically scattered around a yard. That art didn't develop from a need
    to be nice to ones overseers.
    Andrew Jackson

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    That is just a warm up exercise. No one expects to stand there trading bat-on-bat blows in a real world fight.

But if you know sinawalis you can get a lot of blows in quickly, with or without the stick.
    Excellent Hopyard, I regularly demonstrate I can hit someone with my hands/forearms at no less than 4 and sometimes 5 hits in one second using the same principles and skills the stick training has given me. Good post sir
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I was taught how to use a Joe Stick years ago and then in these later years using my cane, not seen a lot of vids but some one I know lives in the UK was taught how to use umbrella for self defense. Also in Thailand they have a form of stick fighting but heard it is now outlawed because it was to brutal.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have a question. What are the penalties for carrying? I have heard up to and including a felony. Civillians in my state can't carry an asp or night stick. I have a CCW in California and Nevada but If I am going to take a felony fall I would want it for a gun.

Certainly believe in any hand on hand training that works on hand eye and reaction time.

Thanks
    Bill
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sponsor
    Good to see others have some time on this type of SD tool.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I always regretted not learning eskrima until I was in my 20's, even though I'm of Filipino descent. I train in Serrada eskrima, the first style of eskrima brought by Angel Cabales to the States. Many of the other eskrima styles are based off Serrada. Also check out on YouTube Illustrisimo, Balintawak, and Bayanihan eskrima. So many styles for the three distances, single or double stick, and knife...

Angel even tought Dan Inosanto. Despite his age, Angel's movements are very fluid.
    SGM Angel Cabales and Dan Inosanto - YouTube
    gatorbait51 and BadgerJ like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links