Shooting with your off hand

This is a discussion on Shooting with your off hand within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you practice drawing, shooting and fighting with your off hand? I'm a righty. UPS just came to my door to deliver a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Shooting with your off hand

How many of you practice drawing, shooting and fighting with your off hand? I'm a righty. UPS just came to my door to deliver a left handed holster for my Glock 19. I plan on using it quite a bit in 2014 to train to draw, shoot and fight with my left hand.

Why? It's entirely possible your strong hand might be shot, stabbed or injured somehow and you simply cannot shoot your gun with it. But it might save your life if you can make quality hits with your off hand. For the small price to pay for a inexpensive holster, it's my opinion that this is a good investment.

The reason I practice drawing with my left hand is this. I travel by car a lot. If I carry at the 4:00 position, the gun is partially interfered by my seat belt and the sides of the car seats. If I keep it on my left side, it's easier to draw from my sitting position in my car and not interfered as much by the seat.

I keep an inside waistband holster on my right side, but for real long trips, it's much more comfortable to keep it on my left side. Your mileage may vary, but the bottom line, know how to shoot effectively with both hands acting as your dominant hand.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

I am left-handed and right eye dominant. I have carried and shot with my off-hand since 1969. I can shoot a handgun fine with my left hand, especially if I close my left eye. I have both right-hand and left-hand holsters for my carry guns. I occasionally carry a gun on each hip for a New York reload. I have trouble shooting a rifle left-handed.
    gatorbait51 and Kavalander like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

JMB
    Do you have any difficulties engaging out the driver's side of the car when using your left hand?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Not really. It depends on where the threat is. If the threat is left, maybe, but I practice it. If the threat is right, no problem.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    How many of you practice drawing, shooting and fighting with your off hand? I'm a righty. UPS just came to my door to deliver a left handed holster for my Glock 19. I plan on using it quite a bit in 2014 to train to draw, shoot and fight with my left hand.

Why? It's entirely possible your strong hand might be shot, stabbed or injured somehow and you simply cannot shoot your gun with it. But it might save your life if you can make quality hits with your off hand. For the small price to pay for a inexpensive holster, it's my opinion that this is a good investment.

The reason I practice drawing with my left hand is this. I travel by car a lot. If I carry at the 4:00 position, the gun is partially interfered by my seat belt and the sides of the car seats. If I keep it on my left side, it's easier to draw from my sitting position in my car and not interfered as much by the seat.

I keep an inside waistband holster on my right side, but for real long trips, it's much more comfortable to keep it on my left side. Your mileage may vary, but the bottom line, know how to shoot effectively with both hands acting as your dominant hand.
    Every time I am practicing. It is a skill that IMO is a must if you carry a weapon....

JMB
    Do you have any difficulties engaging out the driver's side of the car when using your left hand?
    Being right handed it can be a bit difficult for people that are new to it, but once it is mastered its not that hard.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    It depends on the gun and the situation. For a walk-up up-close encounter, I prefer right-handed to keep better control cross-body in case someone grabs for the gun. At any distance, especially with a big bore revolver, I prefer left-handed to get the gun further out the window for the muzzle flash, cylinder flash, and much less noise.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

JMB
    Absent some in-depth explanation / training, I think I'd stay with my right side holster or maybe a cross draw for longish road trips.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I do not practice with a non strong side holster, but do practice with a strong side holster, and shooting off hand and racking the slide on my belt, or boot heel.
    rocky, G26Raven and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity OP, do you carry on your left side? We have a range drill, a magazine two hand center mass, a magazine strong hand, a magazine weak hand, and then another magazine two hand head only. We've limited our magazines to 6 rounds with the limited ammo supply!

Accessing your firearm, one handed reloads, and clearing the firearm with weak hand is a skill set that needs practice and should in everyone training. JMHO!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    N.M. Edmands and gatorbait51 like this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I always practice weak-side shooting, reloading, & slide racking. In the cooler months (when on my motorcycle), I CC with a left-hand shoulder holster. I've trained to the point where I'm pert-near as good left-handed as right-handed. I will admit that my left hand draw is noticeably slower than my right.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Why use a left handed holster? If what you want is to practice drawing and firing when your right arm is temporarily injured or otherwise busy, you're going to be carrying on your regular side. For this situation, you're better off training to draw a gun carried on your strong side with your weak arm.
    Harryball, JMB, AOK and 2 others like this.

AOK
    While my BUG is in my pocket on the left side my EDC is on my right side. I practice drawing my EDC with my reaction hand almost a daily basis during dry fire. In addition, a few times a week I work on manipulations and clearing malf's LHO. Whenever I go to the range I dedicate at least 20% of my ammo to reaction hand only as well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    I have mirror-image holsters and placement and normally perform the same number of repetitions of whatever I'm doing with each hand. I also practice transition from hand to hand and side to side. With rifle as well as pistol. Goal is to be as facile with one side as with the other.

Let me suggest that you stop calling it the 'off' hand or the 'weak' hand. Tell yourself often enough that something is 'off' and you will believe what you say whether it is or not. The mind is strange that way.
    gatorbait51 and Kavalander like this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

As a lefty, I find it very difficult to engage out the drivers side of a vehicle with a left side draw. Yes, as the OP said, he can do fine out the right side of vehicle, but how likely ist that an attacker is likely to approach your vehicle on the side furtherest from the driver. I practice weak side often enough that I feel comfortable with a holster mounted against the console, which requires a right-hand draw.

OP, I agree with your statement we should practice weak side shooting, but your notion that left-hand drawing is easier as the driver of a vehicle, is wrong. When I try to draw left-handed in my car, my elbow must go between the left side of the seat and the door, and there is not enough room for my arm to pass through. Try it a few times and I think you will change your thoughts.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

No, don't have the time or inclination. But I can shoot well enough with either hand.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links