The little gun that could!

This is a discussion on The little gun that could! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had approximately 25 rounds of Gold Dot 90 grain JHPs. Wanted to see how my Kahr P380 does with that specific round as far as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The little gun that could!

The little gun that could!

Had approximately 25 rounds of Gold Dot 90 grain JHPs. Wanted to see how my Kahr P380 does with that specific round as far as reliability is concerned. No feeding or other issues. Not necessarily a good gauge considering the low round count but it's a start. Will keep shooting it in the near future to see how I improve once I get used to its size.

The first 2 videos produced better groups but the cameraman was turning the camera "off" when recording and "on" when I was done...unfortunately one can't fire a friend:) So this was our last take. The gun is very accurate for its size...more so than 205 lbs me:)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    If only he knew how close he came! cool vid. Good shootin'; great disguise.

How was the recoile compared to other guns and was this the first rounds down barrel ?

Been thinking of trying khars again so this is helpfull..

We had actually done MANY other videos that day and ALL met the same fate. Hours of taping and many rounds of ammo. Thanks for watching.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    If only he knew how close he came! cool vid. Good shootin'; great disguise.

Administrator
    the cameraman was turning the camera "off" when recording and "on" when I was done

I've done that before.

Good job keeping them all in there with that little rodent gun.
    Especially at 20 & 25 - distances where things really tend to fall apart with such a small handgun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for watching and commenting!

Recoil is not really an an issue. You have to get used to the size though. This was the first time I had fired JHPs through it. The last time I shot it was approximately 3 or 4 years ago and I put about 100 rounds of some type of FMJs through it.

I highly recommend this gun. It takes a little bit to get used to the trigger but I actually like it a lot. It's funny how you neglect a gun for years and then take it out one day and now you want to shoot it all the time. Bought a box of Federal 95 Grain FMJs which I will shoot shortly.

Once again, I highly recommend this little gun.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    How was the recoile compared to other guns and was this the first rounds down barrel ?

Been thinking of trying khars again so this is helpfull..

Thanks for watching! I'll tell Sean (videographer) that he's not alone:)

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    the cameraman was turning the camera "off" when recording and "on" when I was done

I've done that before.

Good job keeping them all in there with that little rodent gun. Especially at 20 & 25.

Good shooting. I think QK said it best..Rodent gun.....
    5lima30ret likes this.

VIP Member
    I haven't handed one of these, and don't know about the size of your hands. How does it compare to the P3AT/LCP in size?

Good shooting. My experience with mouse guns tells me that the 20 and 25 yard shots take a little bit of skill to pull off.

And as always- I LOVE THE MUSTACHE!
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I haven't handed one of these, and don't know about the size of your hands. How does it compare to the P3AT/LCP in size?
    Kel-Tec P3AT -- 5.2" OAL, 3.5" H, 0.77" W, ~11oz loaded.
    Kahr P380 -- 4.9" OAL, 3.9" H, 0.75" W, ~12oz loaded.

I've had a couple of both. For me, the P380 feels a bit bigger, mostly due to filling the hand a bit differently. Of course, that depends on the size/shape of my hands and the basic ergonomics. But the stats show they're fairly similar in size.

In terms of shooting, though, IMO the P380 is much softer on recoil. I've always thought it's due to the differently shaped back strap area and the arrangement of the barrel axis in relation to the hand causing this. But with the P3AT, 50rds is an eternity, but with the P380 it's almost pleasant. The Kahr PM9/CM9 is downright comfortable to shoot, by comparison. Similar wide-feeling back strap area, at least in my hands.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I had a couple P3ATs since 2005 (whichever year the LCP was having recall issues, steered me away), I found these Micro .380acps can be quite accurate... if you can avoid the cheapo range ammo.
    I still use less expensive ammo for the range, for practice, but I always finish up with 20 rounds of my carry ammo to fairly check the sidearm.

Also, I have XXL hands, but they are 'very thick', which means they fill-up in a hurry. Wife has tiny hands, so the Micro .380s fit us about the same. Strange.
    Mine is handy when I need max discretion... or on the bike in 99* weather.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

how's the recoil of that gun vs a 9mm sub compact such as the G26? I wanna get a G26 for the GF (small girl under 110lbs), but she is recoil sensitive.

VIP Member
    That's still an impressive group for that small a pistol. Good stuff!
    dangerranger likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    how's the recoil of that gun vs a 9mm sub compact such as the G26? I wanna get a G26 for the GF (small girl under 110lbs), but she is recoil sensitive.
    As compared to the Kahr P380, the Glock 26 is a much bigger, longer, heavier unit. Obviously, the recoil characteristics are going to differ. The P380 is also much skinnier in the hand, with the back strap allowing much less surface area over which to spread the recoil load. It's also harder to control, overall, given the shorter sight radius.

That said, frankly I don't think the P380 "stings" any worse than the G26. But that's just me. Yes, the P380 "snaps" a bit more, has sharper/quicker muzzle rise. And even the stoutest .380ACP cartridge simply doesn't have the snuff that stout 9mm cartridge does. Hard to say whether a "recoil sensitive" person would view the G26 as wonderfully tame but the P380 disgustingly appalling in terms of recoil. Myself, I don't much like the .30-30 in a light lever-action rifle, so I suppose most might say I'm recoil sensitive. And I hate the harsh snap and heavy push of the Kel-Tec P3AT .380 into the bones of the hand. But by comparison the P380 is a pussycat. Though nowhere near as soft shooting as the PM9/CM9, it's not bad at all, at least to me. None of these will feel as soft as the G26, no. It'll depend on how much recoil a sensitive person deems is the cutoff. Can't say.

Remember, everyone's different. Whatever it is about a given gun's shape, location of barrel axis, length and weight that makes it tame in one person's hand but a beast in another's, pretty much that comes down to the ergonomics of that person's hand and the person's recoil sensitivity. We're all different, and some guns' characteristics simply strike us harder than they do some other people. Hard to know, until you actually fire them yourself.

JMO. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

True:)

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Good shooting. I think QK said it best..Rodent gun.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links