Retired LAPD Officer Qualification Course

This is a discussion on Retired LAPD Officer Qualification Course within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unless they have some legal or medical disqualification, retired LAPD officers receive an endorsement on their retired ID card that allows them to carry within ...

Thread: Retired LAPD Officer Qualification Course

Unless they have some legal or medical disqualification, retired LAPD officers receive an endorsement on their retired ID card that allows them to carry within California without qualifying. The endorsement is good for five years at a time but no qualification is required for renewal.

The following applies to LEOSA in conjunction with their California endorsement. I give them credit, they didn't make it difficult for retired officers, unlike some jurisdictions. The qual course is easy and they can shoot it anywhere. All they have to do is carry a 'receipt' from whomever ran the qual for them, along with their ID card.

Los Angeles Police Department Online Manual Volume_3
    Los Angeles Police Department Online Manual
    VOLUME 3 - MANAGEMENT RULES AND PROCEDURES
    733. Retired Police Officers.

REQUIREMENT FOR RETIRED OFFICERS TO QUALIFY TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON OUTSIDE CALIFORNIA. Retired officer who wish to carry a concealed firearm outside of California shall:
    • Be free of any condition that would preclude them from safely operating a firearm;
    • Adhere to basic range safety rules; and,
    • Prior to carrying a concealed firearm out of state, must qualify on the approved course of fire administered by a National Rifle Association-certified civilian law enforcement firearms instructor or a civilian rangemaster. These instructors are also certified by various law enforcement entities (e.g., the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Rangemaster School).

Note: The qualification is valid for a 12-month period from the date of qualification.

QUALIFICATION COURSE FIRING SEQUENCE. The Department’s retired officer’s qualification course sets the minimum standard retirees must shoot to comply with the requirements of Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 (LEOSA). The course of fire was designed to be fully replicable anywhere in the country.

The starting position for this qualifying course of fire will begin at the 7 Yard Line. When the target faces, the shooter will draw and fire 10 rounds at a single silhouette target. A score of 70 percent is required to pass the qualification. All rounds impacting anywhere on the body and head will receive full value and rounds impacting upon the arms are half value.

Note: Any qualification course offered by any range within the United States which meets or exceeds the standards set in the Department’s course would satisfy the LEOSA requirement, (e.g., if a city or town in Alabama offered a security guard course of fire that required 20 rounds at 10 yards, it would exceed and meet the Department’s course of fire for LEOSA compliance).

The passing score receipt, in conjunction with a retired CCW-endorsed Department identification card, will permit a retiree to carry a concealed firearm within other states.

Thats good as long as they are in California. If they leave Ca it will not qualify them for carry.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Thats good as long as they are in California. If they leave Ca it will not qualify them for carry.
    I thought LEOSA allowed qualified retired officers to carry across state lines, with the qualification determined by the agency they retired from. Is that not correct?

What headhunter posted sounds like it meets the LEOSA requirement.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Maybe it does, sounds pretty lax to me. I just don't feel like looking up LEOSA again.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

LEOSA requires that a retired Officer qualifies to the standard mandated by the state he lives. The retired officer must meet the same standard as any active officer within his home state. The retired Officer must qualify once per year. Anyway thats my understanding.

The california law may not qualify under LEOSA because it leave a four year gap in qualifications.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have to qualify every year for the LEOSA (HR-218). We shoot the standard state law enforcement qualification course. Many agencies (including the one I retired from) have additional courses of fire (required for active officers) like night fire, combat course, and active shooter scenarios. Unfortunately my LEOSA qualification is only good for semi-autos. I can still carry a wheelgun under my state CWP.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

70% anywhere on a man sized silhouette at 7 yards?

Good grief, why do they even bother? Just rubber stamp the man and save the money.

I carry under LEOSA our qualification is once a year. NV requires qualification with auto and revolver if you are going to carry both.

Sponsored Links