Sprint and Hits up on you tube

This is a discussion on Sprint and Hits up on you tube within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sprint and Hits - YouTube Getting out of the line of fire and creating more distance from threat while drawing and firing....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Sprint and Hits up on you tube

Sponsor

Sprint and Hits - YouTube

Getting out of the line of fire and creating more distance from threat while drawing and firing.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Not bulls-eye hits, but fight deciding hits all. Sing along with the bangs and clangs." Oh your gonna hurt me? how about now?now?now?now?" Gonna hurt.
    Looking good for an old man.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Looks good Brownie. Looks like the same drill we did on the police range. The only difference being is that we brought the guns up to full extension about half way thru our movement once we had enough distance from the target..
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sponsor
    Appreciate the thoughts from both of you.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Looking good.

You know me though, here it comes, MY thinking would be your starting your draw before you start to move. For me when you are in a situation for this "not getting hit comes before getting your own hit." I try to think move then draw, getting your move movement started just before the start of the draw but basically at the same time.

Looked to me you were thinking draw then move. You need to reverse that.

But a good video over all for others to see. Thanks for posting
    AOK and gatorbait51 like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Shooting steel that close can be hazardous to one. I don't shoot steel even in training at under 10 yards. Not likely to shoot any steel in a social encounter at all.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Shooting steel that close can be hazardous to one. I don't shoot steel even in training at under 10 yards. Not likely to shoot any steel in a social encounter at all.
    I have my plates made for me. They are designed to angle shots down and shooting just slightly off center, there's not been any signs of splashback/splatter in a decade of using various steels I've had made for me. I understand peoples apprehensions about steel, but it's a non issue for me.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Looking good.

You know me though, here it comes, MY thinking would be your starting your draw before you start to move. For me when you are in a situation for this "not getting hit comes before getting your own hit." I try to think move then draw, getting your move movement started just before the start of the draw but basically at the same time.

Looked to me you were thinking draw then move. You need to reverse that.

But a good video over all for others to see. Thanks for posting
    Good post and observations Bill.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

It seems apparent from the video that there is a benefit to moving to your strong side if you can. More stability with your gun arm in tighter to your body and more centered in your peripheral vision while focused on the target. Do you consciously bring your support hand into play or does it just 'happen'? [body knows what it wants]
    "Looked to me you were thinking draw then move. You need to reverse that." Probably over thinking because of making the video rather than reacting to a situation Bill. I noticed the movement and draw were pretty much simultaneous to the offside.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

VIP Member
    Just curious, Az, do you see any advantage (or time when it would be advantageous) to move in (forward) obliquely to the left?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by N.M. Edmands View Post
    It seems apparent from the video that there is a benefit to moving to your strong side if you can. More stability with your gun arm in tighter to your body and more centered in your peripheral vision while focused on the target. Do you consciously bring your support hand into play or does it just 'happen'? [body knows what it wants]
    "Looked to me you were thinking draw then move. You need to reverse that." Probably over thinking because of making the video rather than reacting to a situation Bill. I noticed the movement and draw were pretty much simultaneous to the offside.
    Bingo sir. Train for both sides, but prefer the strong side.

Do you consciously bring your support hand into play or does it just 'happen'? [body knows what it wants]

It's a specific position for both hands to the strong side. It's based loosely on a CAR handhold where the support hand is wrapping further around the firearms front strap. Once the shoulders are turned 45 degrees, the hand positioning puts lead on threat if you continue to move on that oblique line.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just curious, Az, do you see any advantage (or time when it would be advantageous) to move in (forward) obliquely to the left?
    Yes, absolutely sir. But when starting at a great distance. I'll move in and go by them on the same oblique angle when the distance seems optimal to do so. Lots of oblique in's in FoF starting at about 8-10 feet.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Get a helper and have them stand in front of you at different distances.

1...The closer they are the more space one step makes with your movement.

2...Move to different positions on the clock. Notice the amount the BG (helper) has to move his arm to stay aimed in on you. You will find moving to the oblique will produce the biggest distance, especially when you are close to the BG. Check that from just outside of arms reach.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

To take it a step further, I have thought to move directly right or left from the threat, not at the oblique. My thinking was that this makes me a more difficult target for the BG to hit, and at the same time, knowing what I am about to do, still gives me good on target hits. Am I wrong in this thinking?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Directly right and left, obliquely to any of the compass directions or clock-face numbers, all are options that will be more or less applicable depending on the place and the situation. There are also other ways to conduct the movement, the actual evasive movement, besides that which is shown in the video. Finding an instructor or school that really teaches evasive movement is going to be the best way to get all the options 'underfoot'. I'll recommend one of each: Roger Phillips, instructor, and Suarez International, school. There may be others that teach the full range, but those are the ones I am surest of.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links