Gun safety in a multi-floored home

This is a discussion on Gun safety in a multi-floored home within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you exercise good gun safety in a home that has say three floors? Recently, I was at a friend's house and it didn't ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By lionround
  • 2 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 2 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By Sarisataka
  • 1 Post By unbeliever
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By RKflorida

Thread: Gun safety in a multi-floored home

How do you exercise good gun safety in a home that has say three floors? Recently, I was at a friend's house and it didn't occur to me that there was an upstairs above me. My friend was letting me examine a rifle and I kept it pointed up as there were a lot of people around. Later, it occured to me that there was an upstairs. :/ However, I couldn't have pointed it down either because there was a basement. What is the best way to handle this type of environment safely?

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Take it outside. Annoy the neighbors.
    Stoveman likes this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

If you really are concerned about it a 5 gallon bucket of sand will fit the bill as a safe thing to point at. There are a few other rules to make sure you follow too so as to avoid a negligent discharge. Finger off the trigger solves a world of possible problems.
    DanielC and tcox4freedom like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

My approach is to choose the lesser of two evils, the place for people (and pets) to least likely be. It might be up, down, or at an outside wall. It was an issue when i used to live in an apartment. Ideally there would be something in the room that would stop a bullet, like some safes, or Kevlar draped over something solid. But that's not always an option.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

If you think about it for a moment, anytime you cc into a building that has more than one floor and you are not on the ground floor the very same thing is happening all the time.

If your on the second floor your sweeping tons of folks under you assuming its a public building. Depending on how you carry you likely sweep folks sitting down and getting up from eating or desks or tables all day long with your edc.

Now you dont carry you edc unloaded so saying make sure its not loaded really is a good idea but not always practical.

The main thing in any situation with any firearm, realistically more important than any other rule is to KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNLESS YOU MEAN TO SHOOT THE Gun.

There are simply situations where you will sweep folks by the simple act of carrying a firearm and not being located on the top of a mountain alone.
    Kavalander and DanielC like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Assuming the owner cleared the gun prior to handing it to you, then you opened the action to check it was unloaded, the ceiling/floor is an acceptable direction to point it.
    If those checks were not performed, then there is a bigger issue than which way to point the muzzle.
    Kavalander likes this.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

I always ask which direction is safe, since most people here live in multi story apartment buildings. Then again, muzzle discipline isn't a big thing here; I can't count the number of times I've had to tell someone on the bus to stop pointing a rifle at me.
    Stoveman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    How do you exercise good gun safety in a home that has say three floors? Recently, I was at a friend's house and it didn't occur to me that there was an upstairs above me. What is the best way to handle this type of environment safely?
    In a gun store, for example, I've always handled a gun while aiming it into the corners of the ceiling/wall join, knowing that even if it did somehow fire (even after my having cleared it) that the bullet would travel outside without first striking someone in an adjacent room or floor. Works well for a home with multiple floors, as well. In a jammed-up neighborhood without much space between homes, though, it can get tough since neighboring homes are in the line of fire. But that's about the best I've been able to come up with, when "test" aiming an unloaded gun inside a home. Short of using a purpose-made firing backstop of sorts, that's about all one can do, I'd say.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Don't fire shots into the ceiling!! I don't care what they do in the movies.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Stop playing with a loaded fire arm and like other have said....keep your finger off the trigger.

Links