Got some range time in today

This is a discussion on Got some range time in today within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well finally got to hit the range here today. Like most other SF camps they put a lot of time and effort into the range ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By svgheartland

Thread: Got some range time in today

VIP Member

Well finally got to hit the range here today. Like most other SF camps they put a lot of time and effort into the range for both their training and Afghan troops. I was able to get my hand on some 9mm and of course I have thousands of rounds of 7.62 x 39 so off I went.
    o
    This go around I am carrying an M9 Beretta but not quite a stock one. The gun has been worked over by the gracious Leathernecks of the MARSOC unit on the next camp over so the term smooth as butter comes to mind.

I don't really care what I carry although I prefer Glocks I train enough while at home with a variety of firearms that I can usually manage with whatever I have on hand. The Beretta is a big gun for the round it is chambered for and had to spend a few minutes running some dry fire drills to get my brain in gear with the DA/SA controls. I carry with a round in the chamber and the safety off.

I had heard others complain about racking the slide or grabbing on to the slide to release it after a reload that they engage the safety. Well it is simply a training issue that can be solved one of two ways. First train to put your fingers under the ambi safety, pull the slide back slightly and release it or grab the slide forward of the safety, pull back and release it. Whatever works for you.

From the holster DAO.jpg Dialing in the M9.jpg

I started off with DA from the holster on a standard man sized target at 15 yards. Started slow and worked up to speed then incorporated movement.
    I had a few flyers but still on target, it has been awhile since I used a DA/SA pistol

15 yards DAO from the holster.jpg

I then ran the gun DA/SA from three yards to twenty five yards and back again stopping at each distance in between 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 25 with two rounds each one DA, one SA. Everything grouped well over compensated a little bit from the 25 with the DA so they went a little high.

two rounds three to 25 and back.jpg

I then wanted to see just how well the gun could shoot so I fired ten rounds from ten yards all SA. The pistol shoots well and the SA trigger is exceptional.

Ten yards ten rounds.jpg

Just for the heck of it I shot a round the clock drill from seven yards. Firing the gun from a conventional two handed hold, rotated 90 degrees right, 90 degrees left and upside down. As long as you have the proper sight picture the round will hit where you want it. I will have to play some more with the M9 normally I shoot this with a Glock but I was happy with the results.

Round the clock.jpg

As far as the AK goes it's an AK. The rifle I am currently carrying is a fixed stock, Russian stamped receiver. I have found a Bulgarian side folder in the conex and I am going to work on it tomorrow for either a backup or when working out of a vehicle.

I was able to work on my standard drills. Ready up drills from 3 to 25 yards keeping both eyes open and simply using the big horseshoe of the front sight wings as a reference. Right shoulder right handed, left shoulder right handed and vis versa. The rifle performed as expected. I was able to shoot it enough today to get used to the trigger. I can place the rifle on full auto and shoot one, two or three round bursts pretty much on command.

If nothing else it killed some time. I will post some pics of the Bulgarian when I get it ready to go. Just a note it looks like I weigh 300 pounds in the pics, I was wearing a sweatshirt with a front pocket that had my radio and more mags in it. LOL
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member
    Looking at the results, I'm glad you're on the watch.
    Kavalander likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Tacman605
    I had heard others complain about racking the slide or grabbing on to the slide to release it after a reload that they engage the safety. Well it is simply a training issue that can be solved one of two ways. First train to put your fingers under the ambi safety, pull the slide back slightly and release it or grab the slide forward of the safety, pull back and release it. Whatever works for you.
    That has been my contention the whole time with weapons that have a decocker on the slide. Quick question, did you drop the first shot with the M9?

Anyways, looks to me like you still have it. Nice shooting bro...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

JMB
    Decent work. The biggest thing that helped me with the M9 was 50 rds DA only and another 50 DA/SA. Then I started to get past the transition. Racking the slide is an issue...I had best results grabbing from behind with thumb and forefinger while holding the decocker up or grabbing over the top while again using thumb and fore finger to press upward. Never really had a problem with it.

You're right, it is large but that also contributes to its soft shooting characteristics...pretty accurate too!

VIP Member
    HB. Didn't really drop the first one but did have to get used to it to put them where I wanted them.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    HB. Didn't really drop the first one but did have to get used to it to put them where I wanted them.
    Its all about the training with the weapon......

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Nice range report. Well done.

Excellent
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    That has been my contention the whole time with weapons that have a decocker on the slide.
    I have an issue with the slide mounted safety/DC as well. It didn't bother me on my P95 DC(only). My M9 though; I never knew if it was going to be on safe when I drew from the holster. Could have been a holster fit problem as well, but i don't want to worry about my holster not fitting the safety!

I always seemed to be aware of grabbing (or avoiding grabbing) the safety when manipulating the slide. On that pistol, I went back to only using the slide stop. No worries when Uncle Sam was buying me new slide stops, and the unit armor worked for me.

Nice work. Those are pretty much exactly the distances we start with when shooting handguns (we start at 5 yards). Any flaws with fundamentals get magnified at those distances. Speed is the easy part of the equation and will look and feel more effortless if fundamentals are in place.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Well finally got to hit the range here today. Like most other SF camps they put a lot of time and effort into the range for both their training and Afghan troops. I was able to get my hand on some 9mm and of course I have thousands of rounds of 7.62 x 39 so off I went.
    o
    This go around I am carrying an M9 Beretta but not quite a stock one. The gun has been worked over by the gracious Leathernecks of the MARSOC unit on the next camp over so the term smooth as butter comes to mind.

I don't really care what I carry although I prefer Glocks I train enough while at home with a variety of firearms that I can usually manage with whatever I have on hand. The Beretta is a big gun for the round it is chambered for and had to spend a few minutes running some dry fire drills to get my brain in gear with the DA/SA controls. I carry with a round in the chamber and the safety off.

From the holster DAO.jpg Dialing in the M9.jpg

I started off with DA from the holster on a standard man sized target at 15 yards. Started slow and worked up to speed then incorporated movement.
    I had a few flyers but still on target, it has been awhile since I used a DA/SA pistol

15 yards DAO from the holster.jpg

I then ran the gun DA/SA from three yards to twenty five yards and back again stopping at each distance in between 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 25 with two rounds each one DA, one SA. Everything grouped well over compensated a little bit from the 25 with the DA so they went a little high.

two rounds three to 25 and back.jpg

I then wanted to see just how well the gun could shoot so I fired ten rounds from ten yards all SA. The pistol shoots well and the SA trigger is exceptional.

Ten yards ten rounds.jpg

Just for the heck of it I shot a round the clock drill from seven yards. Firing the gun from a conventional two handed hold, rotated 90 degrees right, 90 degrees left and upside down. As long as you have the proper sight picture the round will hit where you want it. I will have to play some more with the M9 normally I shoot this with a Glock but I was happy with the results.

Round the clock.jpg

As far as the AK goes it's an AK. The rifle I am currently carrying is a fixed stock, Russian stamped receiver. I have found a Bulgarian side folder in the conex and I am going to work on it tomorrow for either a backup or when working out of a vehicle.

I was able to work on my standard drills. Ready up drills from 3 to 25 yards keeping both eyes open and simply using the big horseshoe of the front sight wings as a reference. Right shoulder right handed, left shoulder right handed and vis versa. The rifle performed as expected. I was able to shoot it enough today to get used to the trigger. I can place the rifle on full auto and shoot one, two or three round bursts pretty much on command.

If nothing else it killed some time. I will post some pics of the Bulgarian when I get it ready to go. Just a note it looks like I weigh 300 pounds in the pics, I was wearing a sweatshirt with a front pocket that had my radio and more mags in it. LOL

I would love to, however, with -51 degree wind chill that's not happening.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Stay warm 40Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I would love to, however, with -51 degree wind chill that's not happening.

Distinguished Member
    Very nice!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I have an issue with the slide mounted safety/DC as well. It didn't bother me on my P95 DC(only). My M9 though; I never knew if it was going to be on safe when I drew from the holster. Could have been a holster fit problem as well, but i don't want to worry about my holster not fitting the safety!

I always seemed to be aware of grabbing (or avoiding grabbing) the safety when manipulating the slide. On that pistol, I went back to only using the slide stop. No worries when Uncle Sam was buying me new slide stops, and the unit armor worked for me.
    Muskier, Its hand position and training. I talked with tman and was asking him if he was having an issue with it. He said the same thing I said, its just a training issue. My EDC for the last 12 years have been 3rd gen smiths with decockers. I have never had issue with either one of them. I even ran thru magpul dynamic handgun with my P89 again no issues at all. As far as the holster, you are correct, if it doesnt fit and you do not trust it, that could get sticky quick....

Links