Do you engage/ disengage the safety on your 1911 when doing dry fire drills?

This is a discussion on Do you engage/ disengage the safety on your 1911 when doing dry fire drills? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently saw a video where the gentleman showing a drill would engage and disengage the safety each time upon drawing from holster and re- ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Do you engage/ disengage the safety on your 1911 when doing dry fire drills?

New Member Array southerncomfort's Avatar

I recently saw a video where the gentleman showing a drill would engage and disengage the safety each time upon drawing from holster and re- holstering the weapon.

Is this common practice? I've been doing my drills w/out using the safety.

I typically draw, break the shot, re holster, cock hammer and repeat. Sometimes I cock the hammer before I re-holster.

Not sure which is the practical, most common or standard method if any.

In IPSC/ IDPA matches is the weapon's safety engaged prior to re-holstering?

Sorry for the questions I just want to make sure I'm training correctly.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Train like you fight.
    Chuck808 and gatorbait51 like this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by southerncomfort View Post
    I recently saw a video where the gentleman showing a drill would engage and disengage the safety each time upon drawing from holster and re- holstering the weapon.

Is this common practice? I've been doing my drills w/out using the safety.

I typically draw, break the shot, re holster, cock hammer and repeat. Sometimes I cock the hammer before I re-holster.

Not sure which is the practical, most common or standard method if any.

In IPSC/ IDPA matches is the weapon's safety engaged prior to re-holstering?

Sorry for the questions I just want to make sure I'm training correctly.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    How many rounds are in your mag? Are you dropping the hammer on a live round to re holster the gun?

In the holster cocked and locked. Out of the holster, safety off, press and repeat as necessary. To re holster, safety on, put in holster, continue until mag needs to be changed...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    How many rounds are in your mag? Are you dropping the hammer on a live round to re holster the gun?

In the holster cocked and locked. Out of the holster, safety off, press and repeat as necessary. To re holster, safety on, put in holster, continue until mag needs to be changed...
    I think he's talking about dry-fire. At least that's what the title of his thread says.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I think he's talking about dry-fire. At least that's what the title of his thread says.
    Thanks, LOL I call it dry practice because you are not firing anything. My bad.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Thanks for the response,
    I'm using snap caps filling the 7 round mag while chambering a round to get a more realistic feel weight wise.
    What I meant in my post is that while I run through my dry fire drills I am keeping the safety off.

With the safety off.. I Draw, acquire sight pic, break shot, re cock, re holster. I'm leaving safety off to save time.

Makes sense to train as realistically as possible, I was just wondering how it's done in matches. The more I think about it though I imagine that the safety would have to be
    engaged each time before holstering. I doubt IDPA/ IPSC would warrant otherwise. It's just that except for one,no instructional video I've seen on dry fire drills show the safety being
    disengaged before the shot. It's like , draw, shoot , reholster.

I should add that I'm working with a timer.
    Last edited by southerncomfort; January 6th, 2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: adding last line
    gatorbait51 likes this.

When i draw, the safety comes off during the drawstroke.

When I go to re-holster, the safety goes back on.

I can't think of a time when I would be carrying my 1911 with the safety off, so doing dry fire practice that way doesn't make much sense to me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If you are going to carry it in condition one, you should practice wiping the safety off during the draw.
    gatorbait51 and JMB like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by southerncomfort View Post
    Thanks for the response,
    I'm using snap caps filling the 7 round mag while chambering a round to get a more realistic feel weight wise.
    What I meant in my post is that while I run through my dry fire drills I am keeping the safety off.

With the safety off.. I Draw, acquire sight pic, break shot, re cock, re holster. I'm leaving safety off to save time.

Makes sense to train as realistically as possible, I was just wondering how it's done in matches. The more I think about it though I imagine that the safety would have to be
    engaged each time before holstering. I doubt IDPA/ IPSC would warrant otherwise. It's just that except for one,no instructional video I've seen on dry fire drills show the safety being
    disengaged before the shot. It's like , draw, shoot , reholster.

I should add that I'm working with a timer.
    Snap caps are great plan. Training in a manner different from how you will fight is a poor one. Unless you carry with the safety off (another poor plan), you should be flipping the safety each time you do a practice draw/fire.
    gatorbait51 and bkenut like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Practice snapping the safety off on the draw,safety on hammer cocked in the holster,you want to build the muscle memory to take the safety off on the draw,If you get in the habit of drawing without thumbing the safety off you may do that in a SD situation where your trying to pull the trigger with the safety engaged and before ou can figure out why your gun won't shoot your already dead.
    If your asking about holstering and carrying a 1911with the hammer cocked safety off,it's not the way it was designed to be carried,all the safeties are designed to work with each other to provide a safe Single Action Pistol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the responses. I'll be training differently from now on for sure.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I think it would be silly not to. It is an important step in the process of bringing the gun on target. I see this at the range all the time. Guys shooting 100 rounds and not once practicing with the safety on. Same with DA/SA guns. They rack the slide and just shoot single action the rest of the range time.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Practice snapping the safety off on the draw,safety on hammer cocked in the holster,you want to build the muscle memory to take the safety off on the draw,If you get in the habit of drawing without thumbing the safety off you may do that in a SD situation where your trying to pull the trigger with the safety engaged and before ou can figure out why your gun won't shoot your already dead.
    If your asking about holstering and carrying a 1911with the hammer cocked safety off,it's not the way it was designed to be carried,all the safeties are designed to work with each other to provide a safe Single Action Pistol
    Just what he said. My routine. Pistol in holster, safety ON. RELEASE ON DRAW. Reholster, engaging safety as pistol contacts leather (plastic?).

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    When i draw, the safety comes off during the drawstroke.

When I go to re-holster, the safety goes back on.

I can't think of a time when I would be carrying my 1911 with the safety off, so doing dry fire practice that way doesn't make much sense to me.
    Same here. That's how I'd have to do it were I need to use my weapon, so it'd be foolish for me to practice any other way.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I have tried the safety off while carrying but , so far, it has not made the time difference to any appreciable level. So, when I practice, full mirro from the knees up Once I get over the scary guy looking back, I use the two finger draw stroke, then as the pistol clears,thumbsafety off, pistol ready to go at the hip , then 3/4 then full up.

The guy in the mirror seems to always beat me on the draw...
    southerncomfort likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links