Shot Timers for Smart Phones for Defensive Training

This is a discussion on Shot Timers for Smart Phones for Defensive Training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been concerned about my drawing and firing speed. I've heard it mentioned by some professionals that one needs to be able to draw and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Shot Timers for Smart Phones for Defensive Training

Shot Timers for Smart Phones for Defensive Training

I've been concerned about my drawing and firing speed. I've heard it mentioned by some professionals that one needs to be able to draw and fire their first shot within 2 seconds. I never had a good way of timing myself and was looking into purchasing a shot timer. Then I found out that there are smart phone apps. I have an android phone and downloaded this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rprofull&hl=en but there were some free apps available as well. I'm sure there are some apps for the IPhones as well.

What I found out was on my draw and dryfire, I'm pretty slow. I'm averaging about 2.2 seconds so I need to work quite a bit more. I've worked on drawing and dryfire drills before but once you have a random timer beep, it makes it so much more difficult. It adds a little pressure. I think that this is good because, one is going to be under a lot of stress if they do have to draw their firearm in a self defense situation.

I can't wait to use the timer on the range with live fire. I feel that this is going to really help me develop my skills.

Has anyone else used a shot timer on their smart phone or shot timer in general for their self defense training? I'm just curious to see how many people train with a timer.
    Kennydale and mano3 like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have the Innovative Applications Shot Timer on my iphone. It works just fine for me. If you are running at 2.2, you might want to take a look at your draw mechanics.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I have the Innovative Applications Shot Timer on my iphone. It works just fine for me. If you are running at 2.2, you might want to take a look at your draw mechanics.
    I believe I may have to change my clothing. I usually wear polo shirts, but that seems to be the biggest problem. I'm using the two handed technique where your support hand grabs bottom of shirt and lift up to clear firearm but still having some fumbling issues with it.

I'm also practicing one handed clearing and drawing but I'm way way slower.

One of my instructors suggested to video yourself to have a better idea of what you need to work on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    mano3, Blue Thunder and 357and40 like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmattingly73 View Post
    I believe I may have to change my clothing. I usually wear polo shirts, but that seems to be the biggest problem. I'm using the two handed technique where your support hand grabs bottom of shirt and lift up to clear firearm but still having some fumbling issues with it.

I'm also practicing one handed clearing and drawing but I'm way way slower.
    PM sent.

I have a shot timer app on my droid that I like.

It doesn't always pick up dry fire, but it was free.

It also has a random beep timer, which is great for the range.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have the Innovative Applications timer also, but even on the least sensitive setting (at my usual indoor range) it will mark anyone's shot, and it is usually pretty crowded. Will give it a try again when Virginia thaws out and I go to the outdoor range.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryMB View Post
    I have the Innovative Applications timer also, but even on the least sensitive setting (at my usual indoor range) it will mark anyone's shot, and it is usually pretty crowded. Will give it a try again when Virginia thaws out and I go to the outdoor range.
    I do most of my timer shooting alone, so that hasn't been an issue for me.

You can't "time nothing."

You're timing a draw and dry-fire, but what are you firing at? You need that for the metric to be complete.

You need a target size and target distance, and a way to verify that you've actually hit the target, for this metric to really work at its most basic level.

And yes, your draw-to-first-hit speed will also depend on your concealment clothing as well as how you carry your gun. These are also all parts of the final metric and will paint a much fuller picture.

VIP Member
    I downloaded the free app from Itunes on my phone and Ipad and they work fine. It does help to have a random signal to test yourself.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I downloaded the Surefire shot timer app on my phone. It's a good training tool IF your fundamentals are SOLID and you are an advanced shooter. Speed will come and will be more fluid and smooth if fundamentals are ingrained. If you're just throwing rounds to beat the timer and are probably doing so in an unsafe and sloppy manner, then you should focus on developing the requisite skills before you ever incorporate a timer. Again, if you are already at a place where you can shoot fast, safely, accurately and with good form/fundametals, then it can enhance your skills.

Other drills you can do are:

-malfunction drills
    -emergency reloads
    -tactical reloads

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post

You're timing a draw and dry-fire, but what are you firing at? You need that for the metric to be complete.

You need a target size and target distance, and a way to verify that you've actually hit the target, for this metric to really work at its most basic level.

And yes, your draw-to-first-hit speed will also depend on your concealment clothing as well as how you carry your gun. These are also all parts of the final metric and will paint a much fuller picture.
    I have to agree, you can stand in your house and time your draw and dryfire which is fine, but when you get out to the range and actually have to draw and sight a target and get hits on target your time will be much slower than it was at home.

I have an actuall shot timer CED 7000 it is a great training aid, it does multiple things that will help you improve, plus it works great for a little friendly competion between friends.

Don't get me wrong practicing your draw and dry fire at home are important, heck I have a friend who shoots competitivley and he probably practices an 1/2hour to an hour every night drawing and dryfiring but your times will be longer in the field.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post

If your comments were directed at me, I apologize for not being more clear. My timed draws are done firing at a TDI silhouette seven yards away, from concealment. I have a couple other reaction time drills I do, as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    I have to agree, you can stand in your house and time your draw and dryfire which is fine, but when you get out to the range and actually have to draw and sight a target and get hits on target your time will be much slower than it was at home.

I have an actuall shot timer CED 7000 it is a great training aid, it does multiple things that will help you improve, plus it works great for a little friendly competion between friends.
    My range is forty yards northeast of my back door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links