Competitive Shooting Manners - Shooting a LOUD Magnum Revolver

This is a discussion on Competitive Shooting Manners - Shooting a LOUD Magnum Revolver within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to get the opinion of those on this forum about a question that's nagging me. I've started shooting IDPA recently, at a local ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Competitive Shooting Manners - Shooting a LOUD Magnum Revolver

I'd like to get the opinion of those on this forum about a question that's nagging me.

I've started shooting IDPA recently, at a local match in an indoor range. I shoot in the SSR category, meaning a revolver that's reloaded with speedloaders. I started with shooting 38 specials out of a GP100, but want to move to magnum ammo (because that's what I use when I carry). Last match was the first time I used 357 mag ammo, and the SO's commented about how loud it was. In an upcoming match, I'm going to shoot mid-level 44 mag ammo, which is also quite loud.

Since I'm the likely to be the only shooter with something loud (most all other shooters are 9mm shooters), I'm considering bringing a bag of new foam ear plugs to offer to the SO's before I shoot, so they can double-plug if they want. I'm grateful for them volunteering to be SO's, and don't want them to be uncomfortable just because I shoot a magnum revolver. Do you think that would that be the right thing to do...or is it just a goofy idea? Thanks.
    gatorbait51 and NONAME762 like this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i am sure someone will come up with the "approved" answer very shortly.

i personally think it's a very thoughtful gesture for you offer additional protection like that.
    ...i guess the snarky side of me wants to ask; so these guys never shoot anything other than 9mm? i generally assume anyone (who should be) in the shooting community should have a little "boy scouts" mentality in them and prepare for unexpaceted eventualities. if i am going to shoot with a group, i bring as much hearing AND eye protection as i can. to be ready for the unprepared, and to be ready for someone bringing something unexpected. a .44 mag is loud, but it ain't got nuthin on a SBR .223 and fo'get about .50's or even big, belted hunting mags with breaks/compensators. i know you said indoor, but i like to be ready for anything, and unless it's an admitted newbie, i expect others to be, at least, personally prepared.

EDIT- but i always have, and offer, extras.

Just a non-IDPA question: Why the Mag? For CCW experience? I really question the utility of Mag indoors in IDPA to be honest. I am not trying to argue, I am truly just curious.

I have a lot of indoor range experience, and nothing was worse than the 357's, the 44's, the 460, the Casulls.............I got to where I'd just leave, or sit them out.............

I think your idea is fine, all things considered. Just not for me. I'd leave.

The polite thing is to let the SO and score keeper know, before you are called to the stage starting position, that you will be shooting magnum cartridges. Nice to let the SO and score keeper know that you have some extra ear plugs if desired. The other competitors would probably like to know this as well so they can get some additional distance from you as you shoot or double up on their hearing protection.
    gatorbait51 and gasmitty like this.

I don't shoot competitively but I have friends that do and for what I hear from them, it's nothing about gun or ammo and everything about the shooter. It's a sport, not defensive trainning. So bigger calibers may hurt your performance if you have to go several rounds of competition against other shooters. Also the cost is another consideration I heard mention. So it may be better to use what the other competitors are using, specially the more succesfull ones.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I believe that good manners dictate NOT shooting something that is that much louder than what others are using.

I popped in a speed loader of SD .357 magnum by mistake one time during a match. Sounded like a canon at the indoor range! Everyone knew what had happened and they all laughed like crazy -- but we all knew each other really well.........and I didn't do it on purpose.
    357and40 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

IDPA is a game. Most shoot it to win and some exploit nearly every possible advantage allowed by the rules. That's why you will see mainly large pistols being used at IDPA matches and not the competitors' smaller carry guns. But some choose to shoot with their actual carry gear and some also like to shoot it with full house defensive loads. So long as they are playing the game by the rules that's fine, and shooting magnum loads is within the rules. Letting the safety officer, score keeper and other competitors know that you will be shooting a loud gun is being polite and considerate, especially at an indoor range. I know I would appreciate it. So, unless the range has some prohibition on shooting a magnum handgun, have at it.
    NONAME762 likes this.

About the only "manners" I consider legitimate in a competition is moving to another lane (as with rifle comps) (though this isn't applicable in single-shooter IDPA/IPSC situations on an "action" range), and avoiding the sort of gun that has 6x the powder necessary for the barrel length just because flames and booms are preferable.

I'm all for offering up ear plugs to others, but if they don't already have them as part of their own gear I'd be surprised. So, sort of an empty gesture, really.

If folks are sensitive to somewhat (even hugely) louder firearms in a firearm competition, then IMO they need to buck up and/or boost the hearing protection. Not a lot of choices, beyond heading to another stall at the range, to reduce the impact on the greatest number.
    Badey likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've never shot IDPA competition but I have shot in a few matches. I for one think it's great for you to bring a fist full of extra ear plugs. I've double plugged with plugs and muffs operating screaming loud machinery. I would have triple plugged had I been able.

Since you're shooting your own personal guns and you like shooting magnums I say have at it. Other shooters can adapt leave or grow a pair.

BTW... LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!! I voted for him in 1972. I chuckle/smile every single time I look at it. The first chance I get to get a picture of my ponytail I just might change my avatar. HUA
    357and40 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

No issues with shooting LOUD. If you are going to be a bear, be a GRIZZLY!!!!!

It is polite to inform the folks around you but not the end all be all...

PS: I also love the Avatar!
    NONAME762 and Badey like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    I'd like to get the opinion of those on this forum about a question that's nagging me.

I've started shooting IDPA recently, at a local match in an indoor range. I shoot in the SSR category, meaning a revolver that's reloaded with speedloaders. I started with shooting 38 specials out of a GP100, but want to move to magnum ammo (because that's what I use when I carry). Last match was the first time I used 357 mag ammo, and the SO's commented about how loud it was. In an upcoming match, I'm going to shoot mid-level 44 mag ammo, which is also quite loud.

Since I'm the likely to be the only shooter with something loud (most all other shooters are 9mm shooters), I'm considering bringing a bag of new foam ear plugs to offer to the SO's before I shoot, so they can double-plug if they want. I'm grateful for them volunteering to be SO's, and don't want them to be uncomfortable just because I shoot a magnum revolver. Do you think that would that be the right thing to do...or is it just a goofy idea? Thanks.
    IMO.....if it's allowed for the competition/course of fire, then don't worry about it. Surely everyone is wearing ear plugs....so.
    So you want a holy war? How many holes would you like?

From around 1970 when I bought my first rifle to 1990 I NEVER WORE ear plugs or muffs. Muffs weren't even available back then.

Around 1984-85 I bought my first blackpowder rifle. It was one of those awful H&R modern (weather protected nipple) designs. It was a 58caliber. Screaming loud. Perfect for an extrovert like me. I took it to a range in the next county north of me. They were a clannish lot. The Mount Baker Long Rifles. They did not care for my 58 nor me and my friend. NO ONE wore ear plugs back then.

I will say this for them. Their annual Corn Rondy was a Hoot. Plenty of corn and good food.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    From around 1970 when I bought my first rifle to 1990 I NEVER WORE ear plugs or muffs. Muffs weren't even available back then.

Around 1984-85 I bought my first blackpowder rifle. It was one of those awful H&R modern (weather protected nipple) designs. It was a 58caliber. Screaming loud. Perfect for an extrovert like me. I took it to a range in the next county north of me. They were a clannish lot. The Mount Baker Long Rifles. They did not care for my 58 nor me and my friend. NO ONE wore ear plugs back then.

I will say this for them. Their annual Corn Rondy was a Hoot. Plenty of corn and good food.
    Ouch! How's the hearing NoName? Hopefully you were one of the lucky ones.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

They were clannish louts
    Fixed it for ya.........

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, I really appreciate it. As to the sensibility of shooting a magnum revolver at a competitive match, it's something I have wanted to do for a long time. I know going into it that I won't be competitive with the 9mm shooter (or anyone else not shooting a magnum revolver) and that is fine. Just want to see what I can do with it and get some dynamic experience with one of my favorite handguns. Also, I will be shooting mid-power loads; not the real thumpers.

Not knocking 9mm shooters. I have two and sometimes shoot them at IDPA, too. I just prefer large revolvers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links