Massad has another article out - 5 myths of gunfighting

This is a discussion on Massad has another article out - 5 myths of gunfighting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check out the new Complete Book of Handguns. He covers point shooting, using sights, "can't do it with six", past X distance it's not self ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By maxwell97
  • 3 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By JMB
  • 2 Post By Secret Spuk
  • 1 Post By Vuva3rae
  • 3 Post By Matthew Temkin
  • 2 Post By ZeBool
  • 1 Post By nedrgr21
  • 2 Post By tacman605

Thread: Massad has another article out - 5 myths of gunfighting

Check out the new Complete Book of Handguns. He covers point shooting, using sights, "can't do it with six", past X distance it's not self defense, and crud, sumptin else - and indirectly, the mighty 00 Buck.

Interestingly, he mentions that IL state troopers were the first staties to use semi-autos - and how a couple were saved b/c BG's counted 6 shots and got bold. Big mistake on their part.

Not sure I totally agree with cant do it with six if its a 357 mag but if I do it with six on six and there are 9 the math gets kinda screwy LOL
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I like Ayoob. In a business full of ego and settled opinions, he stays objective and looks at both sides. For example, he definitely loves revolvers, but can still discuss their weaknesses.
    Pete63 and gatorbait51 like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    If I remember right Ill. troopers were issued S&W 39's. They were carried in a crossdraw full flap holster with no spare mags on the belt or something to that affect/effect.

It all comes down to an individuals ability and not round count.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    If I remember right Ill. troopers were issued S&W 39's. They were carried in a crossdraw full flap holster with no spare mags on the belt or something to that affect/effect.

It all comes down to an individuals ability and not round count.
    I agree with this in as much as it refers to marksmanship vs spray and pray...but...how many rounds do you carry? I want at least one reload.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Did I read this correct? Cant do it with six? Bullpoop! maybe some cant do it with six... but most can.

Massad Ayoob is a nice guy. I've been a fan and avid reader of his as long as whan he first started publishing in "AMERICAN HANDGUNNER" We've even had our differences posting each other in another forum. I feel I know the man well enough to say he would never advocate that "You cant do it with six" Got to be more to it.

OK now I get it... he's debunking the myth that you cant do it with six... OK I feel much better now.
    Bad Bob and gatorbait51 like this.

Do you have a link to the article?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    My only objection to Ayoob is his anti point shooting position--starting with his 1990 article in Handguns magazine titled, "Point Shooting--Combat Hoax"
    I see he has mellowed out a bit as years have gone by, but I find it amusing that one with zero combat experience will put down a method that has been used by many combat veterans for decades.

The only thing I really don't like about Ayoob is how he pushes informing police when pulled over. Other than that, I'm a fan.
    gatorbait51 and FTG-05 like this.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

Hey guys, I was just throwing out some teasers. Here's the rest of the "six" myth: “If you can’t do it with six, you can’t do it at all!” For this, Ayoob counters, “Alas, that’s not always the case. Sometimes you can’t do it with six, but you can end the deadly threat with, oh, seven…or eight…or 19…Or maybe 33." He actually says that both POV's re "sights are mandatory" and "have to point shoot" are both wrong and there's a place for both.

Here's a link to the intro of the article: Preview: Gunfighting Myths - Personal Defense World
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I agree with this in as much as it refers to marksmanship vs spray and pray...but...how many rounds do you carry? I want at least one reload.
    I carry a Glock 19 with at least one mag. My favorite single mag pouch bit the dust after 8 years just before coming over here so I had to switch to a double carrier. Always, always, always have a spare mag or speedloader, not just for the extra rounds but in case of a mag or ammo related malfunction.

Did I mention always?

I just read the article posted. This was the gunfight that made me think of it. The suspect was armed with a 20 gauge semi auto shotgun and knew how to use it. The officer had purchased a double mag pouch to go on his belt but was gigged for it during an inspection and had removed it. The mag pouch was lying on his seat and again if I remember right was lost in translation during the pursuit on the floorboard or something.
    gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I like Mas, I think he is a good guy. The only issue I have with him is his fear mongering.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Sponsored Links