training: the other side

This is a discussion on training: the other side within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before you expend the time and money for training... In my personal experience, I've seen many people go through management or leadership courses, parrot the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: training: the other side

training: the other side

Before you expend the time and money for training...

In my personal experience, I've seen many people go through management or leadership courses, parrot the course material back perfectly, ace the tests... and then it all seems to evaporate the instant they walk out the door, as they continue to do exactly what they always did.

So, before you spend the money... are you *really* going to listen?

2. Remove Ads

IMO you are correct, learning and applying a skill for some can be difficult. However with a firearms course you will apply what you learn on the range. It may be lost over time, but when you leave you should have skills that when you entered you didnt have....
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I know that the OP is well meant, but I have not seen anything like "folks not paying attention" during any of the gun training that I have taken.

Playing off what Harryball said, I also bought the Tactical Response course DVDs, knowing that I would want to "brush up" after a period of time had passed. And I agree, Harry, its about the skills you picked up, not some classroom lecture.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Ditto, TRX...........

are you *really* going to listen?
    ........and then implement, act on and institutionalize what you learned?

Personally if it's close to home, and under a small lotto win. I'd like to get some advanced training and insight.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

I know where you can do just that, but I'm not a sponsor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Personally if it's close to home, and under a small lotto win. I'd like to get some advanced training and insight.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    No matter what you think you know, there is always a better way. Go to classes that will challenge you and push you out of your comfort zone. If your not pushed to the point of failure, your not learning.
    molleur, gatorbait51 and Hoganbeg like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Before you expend the time and money for training...

In my personal experience, I've seen many people go through management or leadership courses, parrot the course material back perfectly, ace the tests... and then it all seems to evaporate the instant they walk out the door, as they continue to do exactly what they always did.
    So, before you spend the money... are you *really* going to listen?
    IMO comparing shooting training to management and leadership training is comparing apples to chairs. When the company pays and tells you to go you do not have the incentive to internalize the coursework that you do when it is your choice and your money!!!!

I think it is quite possible that people who take one course just so they can pass a carry permit test might "walk out the door" and not put that training to use.

However, the vast majority of people who seriously want to learn to shoot will walk out the door, take their training with them, and USE it as much as they can given their individual circumstances.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I guess it is up to the person taking the class. Yes, I have taken classes just to pass the test and then move on. However, if I am going to be taking a training course that would help me defend myself and my loved one, you better believe I will be paying attention and try to implement was was taught to me. Some classes are way more important than other classes.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    If one attends a few classes and expects to retain it all w/o continual reinforcement; well; that's a bit naive'; yes?

In over 25 years learning, instructing and judging martial arts, I can't recall any student who took a few classes and competed
    in a tourney. Hmmm? Go figure.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

I know what you're talking about, OP, and have seen it play out a few times. Some friends and I have taken multiple training classes of various lengths and focuses together but not all of us implement and regularly practice what we were taught. IMO, it's a waste of time and money if you're not going to take it serious. If you just want to play and have fun for the weekend and nothing else, paintball is a much cheaper alternative.
    gatorbait51 and molleur like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    In over 25 years learning, instructing and judging martial arts, I can't recall any student who took a few classes and competed
    in a tourney. Hmmm? Go figure
    Sure they do it happens everyday on gun forums, including this one, across the interweb.

A person watches the latest Magpul video, reads an article in Guns and Ammo or God forbid sees it on youtube, it must be real, and now they are ready for the real world, active shooter, robbery attempt or whatever other scenario.

Most folks who are committed enough to pay for training will generally pay attention and absorb what is presented but as stated will they follow through with it in their daily activity is the question.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I know what you're talking about, OP, and have seen it play out a few times. Some friends and I have taken training classes of various lengths and focuses together but not all of us implement and regularly practice what we were taught. IMO, it's a waste of time and money if you're not going to take it serious.
    Not being able to practice/implement after the class doesn't equate to people not "taking it serious"
    For some who take courses being able to regularly practice and implement what they learned just isn't feasible.

Ranges don't always let people draw from holsters (concealed or otherwise), don't let them shoot on the move, don't let them practice "rapid fire" etc etc etc...
    Unfortunately not everyone has access to a range that does allow these things (or better yet, have their own property to practice on), even still it can be worth taking a class or three when financially able (and have the time) to do so.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I have been in classes where some students lost out on the learning opportunity because they were to trying to impress the instructor or class with what they thought they already knew .
    gatorbait51 and tacman605 like this.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    Not being able to practice/implement after the class doesn't equate to people not "taking it serious"
    For some who take courses being able to regularly practice and implement what they learned just isn't feasible.

Ranges don't always let people draw from holsters (concealed or otherwise), don't let them shoot on the move, don't let them practice "rapid fire" etc etc etc...
    Unfortunately not everyone has access to a range that does allow these things (or better yet, have their own property to practice on), even still it can be worth taking a class or three when financially able (and have the time) to do so.
    Yep! Have these folks ever heard of dryfiring, at home?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links