Choosing an Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor?

This is a discussion on Choosing an Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How did you find/pick your instructor? I've done internet searches and printed up the "approved instructors" in my area from the ISP website, but there ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gstrom99
  • 1 Post By ElMonoDelMar
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Choosing an Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor?

How did you find/pick your instructor? I've done internet searches and printed up the "approved instructors" in my area from the ISP website, but there are sooooo many (I have 3 1/2 pages to choose from so far). I know to inquire about credentials, etc but if I called all the ones on my list, it'd take a year...

I'm not going to just pick the one with the slickest web site, or best looking ad. I could ask my LGS, I guess. Should I pick an individual "guy/gal" that happens to be close, or go with the "world's best tactical/personal protection training" outfit. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the choices avail.

Any recommended instructors in south/southwest suburbs of Chicago?

Thumbs up

I would ask around to your friends and see who they like as an instructor and check prices.
    Last edited by deadsexy; January 19th, 2014 at 10:11 PM.

Here is a great instructor-- in Yorkville and uses a super classroom and range. I have shot with him for years and he knows what he is talking about not just someone that got his license to teach.

https://www.firearmssafetyacademy.net/

Welcome, skids! Feel free to pop over to "Introductions" and make an into!

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    If they are approved go with the least expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    If they are approved go with the least expensive.
    i don't even know where to start with this one…
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Me either. That's the opposite of what I want to do. "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    If you've done much shooting before, you probably won't learn a whole lot from the course. The material is very basic. If you don't want to go with the cheapest, you could call a few up and see which one sounds like the most fun to be around for 16 hours.
    357and40 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    If you've done much shooting before, you probably won't learn a whole lot from the course. The material is very basic. If you don't want to go with the cheapest, you could call a few up and see which one sounds like the most fun to be around for 16 hours.
    Although, 16hrs is a good chunk of time. Hard to imagine that much cannot be learned, given all the chuck holes that the IL legislators put into the statutes. Getting through all the twists and turns could take some time.

By all means, though, read through each and every statute related to firearms, weapons and the use of force ... and do it before any such training. Come prepared with all of your questions. Think through various situations in your normal, everyday life that'll seemingly put you in conflict with one or more of those statutes, where you think you're misunderstanding things or the statute is requiring some sticky little details you're not quite getting. Well worth picking the instructor who's got it all down pat, one who is also very good with people and can roll with the punches in a lively discussion on all of it. By all means, avoid the lowest-cost alternative. Pick the best one. You'll thank yourself later.
    357and40 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I don't know if you'll find many instructors that are willing to entertain hypothetical scenarios. In the two state CCW courses I've taken, none of the instructors would offer any opinions on the law and would only refer back to the actual law itself with questions. Unless my instructor was an attorney, I wouldn't want them offering their opinions anyway.

BTW, I didn't pick the cheapest instructor and he was VERY engaging. His price was right around what others in my area were charging. He even brought a bunch of Glock 19 replica laser guns for us to all practice our holster techniques and trigger pulls. I'm sure those guns cost a small fortune. Maybe the best bet would be to call a few instructors and see if any of them are offering any extras outside of the mandated range time.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Get training to get training. Illinois is trying to deter as many people as possible from getting these permits with exorbitant fees and training requirements. If you read the law you will find the places you may carry are very limited. They are also strongly recommending businesses to post no carry signs which will have the force of law behind them. You can start there.

Quote Originally Posted by gstrom99 View Post
    Should I pick an individual "guy/gal" that happens to be close, or go with the "world's best tactical/personal protection training" outfit. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the choices avail.
    Another good addition to any new training on concealed carry: the book In The Gravest Extreme, by Ayoob. Worth picking up a copy and reviewing prior to (and following) any formal training courses you do take.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Another good addition to any new training on concealed carry: the book In The Gravest Extreme, by Ayoob. Worth picking up a copy and reviewing prior to (and following) any formal training courses you do take.
    I already ordered his "Concealed Carry" and "Defensive Revolvers" books. Not here yet.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    someone with Law Enforcement, Military, Private Security etc. usually is what I like to see. Real world issues have been seen by them and they will know a little more than just anyone.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I was lucky, I found 2 instructors pretty close to me...both LEOs. The class was taught at a local range (5 miles away!). They were both excellent and taught the class together.
    In addition to the laws, gun basics, etc. they showed some thought provoking videos which lead to a lot of great discussion.

Links