How to.improve my accuracy?

How to.improve my accuracy?

This is a discussion on How to.improve my accuracy? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range for the first time in months and found myself shooting either way to high or too low and to the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: How to.improve my accuracy?

Question How to.improve my accuracy?

I went to the range for the first time in months and found myself shooting either way to high or too low and to the right.

Is their a correction cheat sheet that I can take to the range? My sight picture is perfect on most shots so I think it's something I'm doing subconsciously.

Thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by bwaldon4 View Post
    I went to the range for the first time in months and found myself shooting either way to high or too low and to the right.

Is their a correction cheat sheet that I can take to the range? My sight picture is perfect on most shots so I think it's something I'm doing subconsciously.

Thanks!
    How's your sight alignment and follow-through? Where is your eye focused?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Hope this helps

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    So there could be a lot of things you are doing wrong. Part could be sight picture, part could be trigger control and follow through. A laser trainer for home might not be a bad idea.
    gatorbait51 and Bob2.0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Hope this helps

check out the video for this chart
    How to Shoot a Pistol Better (Pistol Correction Chart)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

When I first started shooting my G27 it was a bit more challenging than what I was used to (Beretta 92 - longer, heavier, and 9mm). Here is a list of things that I did that helped immensely:

1. Looked at the shot placement chart to figure out what my biggest problems were
    2. Made sure I could "call my shot" (I had been flinching before I made the conscious effort to keep my eyes open)
    3. Worked on my sight picture (focus on front sight, worked on consistent sight picture to improve groups)
    4. Worked on my grip (front and rear pressure instead of death grip squeeze)
    5. Worked on my trigger pull (right part of my finger, slow squeeze with a surprise break, hold and release to reset point)
    6. Worked on my stance (helped me work on the other areas and likely made it easier now while I move and shoot)
    7. Would add snap caps to mags to see how / where I was pulling when it did not fire (great for awareness)
    8. Practice (dry practice about 2" from spot on wall to pull trigger without moving, shooting slowly at the range)

I don't remember how long it took to get better, but it was probably two months or so. I was going to the range every other week and spending at least an hour a week at home dry practicing. It probably took 6-8 months before these things became habit and my shooting was consistently improved, but it was worth it from my perspective.
    miller_man and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Hope this helps

Has this helped you? Does anyone sell this in a larger size?

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    How's your sight alignment and follow-through? Where is your eye focused?
    I have xs big dot sights and.I consistently.dot the eye but.most of the time my shots hit nowhere near where I place the dot. I think it has to do with something else. I dry practice fairly often so I'm used to the sight picture.

JMB
    I have xs big dot sights and.I consistently.dot the eye but.most of the time my shots hit nowhere near where I place the dot. I think it has to do with something else. I dry practice fairly often so I'm used to the sight picture.

How about the other two questions I asked?

Follow-through?

Where is your eye focused?

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    How about the other two questions I asked?

Follow-through?

Where is your eye focused?
    1. Not sure what you.mean by follow through. I squeeze the trigger until the gun fires and then let the trigger reset while.maintaning contact with the trigger.

2. my eye was mainly focused on the big dot. I tried shooting with my left eye, right eye, and both eyes open and my shots stayed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    When I first started shooting my G27 it was a bit more challenging than what I was used to (Beretta 92 - longer, heavier, and 9mm). Here is a list of things that I did that helped immensely:

1. Looked at the shot placement chart to figure out what my biggest problems were
    2. Made sure I could "call my shot" (I had been flinching before I made the conscious effort to keep my eyes open)
    3. Worked on my sight picture (focus on front sight, worked on consistent sight picture to improve groups)
    4. Worked on my grip (front and rear pressure instead of death grip squeeze)
    5. Worked on my trigger pull (right part of my finger, slow squeeze with a surprise break, hold and release to reset point)
    6. Worked on my stance (helped me work on the other areas and likely made it easier now while I move and shoot)
    7. Would add snap caps to mags to see how / where I was pulling when it did not fire (great for awareness)
    8. Practice (dry practice about 2" from spot on wall to pull trigger without moving, shooting slowly at the range)

I don't remember how long it took to get better, but it was probably two months or so. I was going to the range every other week and spending at least an hour a week at home dry practicing. It probably took 6-8 months before these things became habit and my shooting was consistently improved, but it was worth it from my perspective.
    Very encouraging! What do you mean by" call your shots"?

JMB
    1. Not sure what you.mean by follow through. I squeeze the trigger until the gun fires and then let the trigger reset while.maintaning contact with the trigger.

2. my eye was mainly focused on the big dot. I tried shooting with my left eye, right eye, and both eyes open and my shots stayed the same.
    If you want to read up on the fundamentals of marksmanship, this is a good place to start:

The Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol

I would start under "Perfecting Technique"

Hope this helps. The chart is great if you know what to do to overcome those errors.

Very encouraging! What do you mean by" call your shots"?
    You are watching the front sight and at the point the gun fires (surprise break) you have a very good idea where the bullet hit. If you are flinching you will only remember where your sights were right before it fired. The strange thing for me was once I was able to keep my eyes open all the time the other problems started to go away. It was probably focus more than anything, but it was rewarding to see my hits go where I wanted them to, and to see my groups decrease in size.

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall... Practice, Man, Practice.

Sorry. I couldnt resist.

Stand much closer to your target.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links