So you don't need to practice,,,,BGs don't

This is a discussion on So you don't need to practice,,,,BGs don't within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; According to the study, 40% of the criminal attackers received formal firearms training, over 80% regularly practiced with firearms (averaging 23 practice sessions a year), ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: So you don't need to practice,,,,BGs don't

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

According to the study, 40% of the criminal attackers received formal firearms training, over 80% regularly practiced with firearms (averaging 23 practice sessions a year), more than 40% had at least one gunfight experience, and 25% had been involved in more than 5 gunfights.

If you're like most people, you operate under the popular assumption that bad guys don't have any firearms training and don't practice shooting. It's a comforting thought, because it suggests that as long as you're armed and have a little training, you stand a pretty good chance of surviving a violent attack.

However, the data in this report suggests that may not always be the case.

Something to think about......

Bad News: Some criminals may have more firearms training than you | Second Call Defense
    Curzyk and StormRhydr like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    They are more willing and able to use force, including deadly force.
    Whether you encounter a dumb thug who isn't expecting you to fight back or a career criminal with a lot of training and experience may be a matter of luck. But as they say, luck favors the prepared.
    These are the two main points that caught my attention.
    RockingGlock32 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Gee, I wonder who the trainers are that are training criminals!
    StormRhydr likes this.

Practice is a must. If you're going to carry, you're obligated to know how to use it and use it well. IMO.

In the immortal words of NONAME762, I'm calling "Bravo Sierra" on this. I don't know what they are considering Firearms training.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmattingly73 View Post
    In the immortal words of NONAME762, I'm calling "Bravo Sierra" on this. I don't know what they are considering Firearms training.
    I know and have trained under the author of the original article, linked here:
    Training vs. Experience | Buckeye Firearms Association
    When Greg talks, I listen.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmattingly73 View Post
    You should read the actual paper that the article links. It describes the training as military, high school shooting programs, basic firearms skills courses, instruction from relatives and hunter safety programs (listed in order of numerical priority).

I'm nowhere near done with reading it; so far I just skimmed through, but it seems to be a very interesting read.
    mkh and StormRhydr like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    There is an indoor range that I frequent rarely now, mostly because of the prevalence of thugs in groups shooting sideways with one hand holding up their pants.

I believe it.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    You have to understand that that was a study about criminals that have "successfully" shot a police officer. It does not include data from officers that were shot at but missed. It is what I call a cherry picked study. So yes, people that are successful in hitting their target most likely have been practicing. Do I think these numbers apply to the average criminal? Not at all.
    Vuva3rae likes this.

40 cases is not enough to base a study on. That's less than 1 case per state.

Military-Trained Gang Members Worry FBI, Oklahoma Police - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |
    There are more posts on google about this problem.

This is one of the reasons cops are up arming and using more military equipment.
    blitzburgh and MikeNice like this.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    You should read the actual paper that the article links. It describes the training as military, high school shooting programs, basic firearms skills courses, instruction from relatives and hunter safety programs (listed in order of numerical priority).

I'm nowhere near done with reading it; so far I just skimmed through, but it seems to be a very interesting read.
    I wonder how much bragging or lieing the thugs were doing to enhance their image and street creds

But there is no excuse for us to not train or shoot.

My shooting will be down some this year as I can't afford to renew my membership with my upcoming layoff. Need the money for other stuff so I'll have to depend on friends taking me as a guest.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I am guessing that military training is the most prevalent.

Then I remember my own military firearms training and am somewhat comforted that if what they got was like what I got, I don't have much to be worried about.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Training improves skills, opens minds.

Folks don't come out of "charm school" with the "PhD's" in crime without bolstering some practical skills ... predation, weapons making, tactics for dealing with people of all sorts, take-down methods, staying under the radar, and all the rest. It would surprise the heck out of me that a good percentage of weapons-wielding violent criminals didn't at least take some measures to become competent. Same benefits as for anyone else, that competency.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I wonder how much bragging or lieing the thugs were doing to enhance their image and street creds

But there is no excuse for us to not train or shoot.

My shooting will be down some this year as I can't afford to renew my membership with my upcoming layoff. Need the money for other stuff so I'll have to depend on friends taking me as a guest.
    Yeah, the absolute bottom line is that you can't really 'expect' anything to be in your favor. It's really not all that relevant to the vast majority of us because we aren't LEO and therefore probably won't be encountering these types of folks at all, and if we do, it's not going to be in the same manner since we aren't trying to arrest them.

Personally, my philosophy is that I train regularly so the bad guy won't have any more advantages over me than absolutely necessary. I say that because as a concealed carrying private citizen, just about any encounter I ever find myself in isn't going to be one of my choosing, so I've already lost a fairly sizable advantage.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links