Recommend drills glock 26 vs 19

This is a discussion on Recommend drills glock 26 vs 19 within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to the range tomorrow. I am taking my 26 and my 19. Up to this point I have chosen the biggest I ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By Blue Thunder
  • 1 Post By TX expat

Thread: Recommend drills glock 26 vs 19

Recommend drills glock 26 vs 19

I am going to the range tomorrow. I am taking my 26 and my 19. Up to this point I have chosen the biggest I could carry at the time. I'm interested to see the difference and compare the two. At the range will be 6 1/2" plates and 3" plates each on a rack of six. Also there is a 8" gong. I normally shoot the racks and then back off to 25 or so a ring the gong. Are there any recommendations of drills I should try that would show one over the other? Are there drills you would run that would make you feel like you shoot one better than the other? Are there drills you would run that would make you feel either is plenty? I will have a timer and probably be carrying either aiwb or 2-3 .

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    You are gonna be surprised on how similar those 2 guns are gonna handle. I carry a G23 and G27 at work, my qualification scores are equal between the 2. Sometimes the 27 outshoots the 23, sometimes the other way around. Either way my scores are usually just 1 or 2 points difference.

VIP Member
    Glocks, generally speaking, all shoot the same with that being said the larger framed guns usually lend themselves to better ergonomics so that in theory leads to better accuracy.

Personally I don't go smaller than the 19. It conceals well so there is not any real reason to go smaller. At one time I had one of every Glock .40 there was and after getting the proper elevation and windage there was no problem hitting bowling pins at 75 yards with any model.
    Bigsteve113 and miller_man like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I rotate those 2 weapons myself. I am slightly more accurate with the 19 to which I credit the longer barrel but it is very close. Will your range allow you to draw?I have one range that will allow us to draw and fire but if I want to do much with multiple targets it is off to the desert. Out there I can draw from concealment (which sometimes involves a shoulder rig) without worrying about sweeping anyone. Range rules will have a serious effect on what you can practice.

Usually forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission but in this case I would not go there Consequences could be overwhelming.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    For me, the differences in dropping down a tier (or is that going up? because it's more difficult?) in terms of the physical size of the gun (assuming everything else is the same, such as the Glock 17 to 19 to 26 equation) comes in three areas:

- Accuracy at longer distances (smaller gun, more cavitation on the trigger; a little bit of difference on sight radius).
    - Splits (affected by grip/recoil-control, which again has to do with the lesser size/mass of the gun).
    - Manipulations (differences mainly in terms of the magazine's/grip-magwell interaction as well as, potentially, running the slide - both of these are again due to the smaller size of the gun).

I find that, for me, these factors to come into play more when I go from a "compact" to a "sub-compact" much more than going from a duty/full-size to a compact.

I seem to get better accuracy from the 26/27, I can't explain why.

But as to drills, it depends on what you are trying to practice for. Sometimes I keep the target as close as 3 yards, and draw and fire doubles without ever bring my sights into use.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I seem to get better accuracy from the 26/27, I can't explain why.

But as to drills, it depends on what you are trying to practice for. Sometimes I keep the target as close as 3 yards, and draw and fire doubles without ever bring my sights into use.
    glockman, I was always getting slightly better scores from my G27 over my G23 and G22. Then I realized that on qualification day I always qualified with my issue weapon first, earlier the G22, and now the G23. Then I realized the better scores from the G27 were probably because I was "warmed up" and had just been through the course by the time I got to the G27. I think that was the difference for me.

I went today and shot from 3-25 yards. I found I could remain on a 8" target with either out to 25 yards with consistency. I have in the past found I shot faster with the 26. Today the 19 was just in the groove. I shot to 25 with ease as well as it was almost as though I couldnt miss with it today. What I did notice is I was shooting the same ammo and the plates that wouldnt fall from shots from the 26 would fall with shots from the 19. I have found some days I just shoot one better than the other. I will be carrying my 19 for a while until I can shake this down a little more. I found as I began to tire shooting with the 26 fell off sooner. Fatigue showed a lot clearer than with the 19. If both shot equally well for me I would simply carry the 26 due to size. I prefer the way it carries but considering the falling of the plates and how well I shot the 19 I think Im gonna carry it for a bit.

You could run the El Presidente drill on 2 or 3 of the 6.5" plates, depending on how far apart they are spaced. I prefer to run the drill at a distance of 7 yards with the targets spaced 3 to 4 feet apart, but with 6.5" targets you may want to move a little closer.

pistol-training.com El Presidente

All drills and qualifications I do cold, as others stated "Warmed Up" is just that. In a street level encounter you will not be "Warmed Up". My cold dry fire drills at home are getting the gun out and ready to shoot. Some ranges do not permit draw and fire so I place the loaded gun on the tray in front of me and do a grab and fire combo. Dry firing is the best way to get muscle memory for draw and fire. I also always do this CCW with something covering the gun and holster. BTW, the El Pres is one of the best drills to check speed and your ability to function the gun on the course. In my better years (10 ago) I could do it in 6 seconds with a couple of B's. Just do it as your first drill at the range. And I use one of my Twin G-19's for drills and carry.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    Yeah, try some mag swap drills. That's the biggest difference I have found between the two. I gotta work to keep my palm out of the way on the 26, so the mag will drop free, and on the 19 I don't. That's about it from my personal experience. Well, that and the extra 5 rounds of capacity...
    TSiWRX likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ I gotta work to avoid inserting a piece of flesh. Even so, I still do, occasionally, under the stress of a training class.

Part of that equation, though, is learning to work through that hard pinch. We'd probably not even notice that pain when in a life-or-death violent encounter, but it does provide a distraction!

Links