OCAT; Out West Systems

This is a discussion on OCAT; Out West Systems within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While many of you might remember that Outwestsystems and I bump heads on many issues on the forum, it is not personal. I have been ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems

Thread: OCAT; Out West Systems

Distinguished Member

OCAT; Out West Systems

While many of you might remember that Outwestsystems and I bump heads on many issues on the forum, it is not personal.

I have been interested in their OCAT basic system for IWB "Draw, Present, First round DA" drills that I can't do at my indoor range. But I had numerous questions that their website either didn't address or provide an answer in sufficient enough detail for me.

I sent an e-mail this AM via the contact form and part of the form asked for my tele #.

With in an hour of sending the e-mail, I was contacted by Jim, who professionally and in the most friendly manner answered all of my questions and provided a few more details I had never thought of asking. Additionally, he provided me a very detailed explanation of strengths and potential weaknesses of the system based upon my needs and my current equipment setup.

I was and am very impressed at the level of customer service. I will be buying the starter system as soon as I can get the dedicated laptop setup.

I will keep all posted on my review, but based upon what I have read and the answers I got from Jim, I am sure it will fill my needs most adequately.

Thank you, Jim and Out West Systems.
    Last edited by Chorizo; January 27th, 2014 at 11:44 PM.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    OK, after some serious issues with the laptop, I got everything squared away, the camera installed and after some issues with getting to download (Jim called me at home, without prompting at 8pm to give me instructions!) I am downloading the starter system.

Again, Jim went out of his way to make sure things were working and everything was "joto".

Outstanding customer service.
    Lee 1973 likes this.

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member
    Next update:

There were some updates to the server at OutWest going on last night and didn't get to download until today.

Next wrinkle: I failed to fully read and understand that the Starter system requires a 64 bit system, not the normal 32 bit system (that I have installed as my operating system) MY MISTAKE.

But Jim and OutWest step up to the plate again. He has sent me the Full Laser system, on a trial basis, and if I like it I can upgrade.

Now that folks, is going one step beyond to help.

I will post more once I get the system up and running.
    jenatron likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Update: I got back from an extended time in the desert doing some shooting and relaxing with a buddy and finally have had time to set up and use the OCAT system.

I first bought the OCAT starter system, but couldn't get it to load properly into my computer. After screwing with it and speaking directly with Jim of Out West, it finally dawned upon me I am an idiot for not fully reading and understanding the specs and requirements. The Starter system clearly states you must us a 64 bit operating system. I was using a 32 bit. Jim graciously offered to upgrade my system to the laser system at a temporary no cost, to see if I liked it and if I did, then I could purchase the laser (32 bit) system if I liked it.

It loaded perfectly, operates like a charm, the timer system is invaluable and I am very impressed. I have set it up for cross room training (20 feet), up close (9 feet), down the hallway (50 feet). A decent laptop, web camera, 2 tripods (one for the target and one for the camera) plus laser inserts for you weapon and you are good to go!

Draw and presentation is becoming second nature again and weekly draw, presentation, first shot DA will keep the "joints and muscles" lubed up and working.

Any ills I have had with the system is my fault only. The system is not cheap, but then again neither is ammo and most ranges do not let you draw from a holster.

Bottom line: Worth the money and provides a very excellent Drill/Feedback system that will sharpen and then keep current my defensive skills. It is a "buy it" item.

I like it...bookmarked for later study...congrats on an interesting system.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    I like it...bookmarked for later study...congrats on an interesting system.
    PM me if you have any questions! Jim is readily available and gets back to you quick. I am using a Marine Corps pistol target (the newest target) and it is perfect!

Distinguished Member
    Here is an OCAT screen shot of some training. Draw, present, shoot from an IWB; from behind a door jamb concealment, weak and strong hand. All at about 20ft with a Sig P239 DA first shot. Red circle is last shot. Blue circles vary in size as a "drag" the laser after "shooting". Smaller the circle then more control.

3.5 yards on the left hand side of the screen is the distance of the camera to the target, not the shooting distance.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Under the Advanced menu there is an "Override Range" option, you can use that to set the correct range you are shooting at, that way the data you are storing will be at the correct range.

Distinguished Member
    Got it. I have been playing around with it some. I adjusted the sensitivity for the laser as a couple of the hits are false hits. I also figured out how to set the hit area in an oval, set range and setup a profile with weapon. It will take some playing with it to figure it all out, but I am very impressed at the flexibility of the system.

With the long cable for the camera, I can go from hall to room by simply moving the tripods. I was taping the target to the door down the hall, but the wife went upstairs and let out a screech and I got my tailed chewed...I am lucky she didn't put a round in its chest!

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Just wait until you get around to the multiple hit area functionality, so you can put two in the chest and two in the head. Or you can set up reaction targets and have it call out which target to shoot and you have to engage it in "x amount" of time before it call out the next one.

And number 5 was a "false hit".

If you set the laser color from "any" to "red" if you are using a red laser, it gets rid of most of the false hits for you.
    Chorizo likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I have my profiles set and have been playing with it. I have found it to be very nice for the "Draw, Present, Shoot) (first shot DA) drills. The timer function works superbly and I got my from the IWB holster draw, with my hands at my sides to start, down from 2.5 to 1.5, with every shot center mass. The "speak hit" function is very nice.

My control has gotten better along with I have gained a smoothness that is a real confidence boost (not that a jarhead needs much anyway). This is from the IWB (Alien Gear) with the Astra A-75. No false hits noted.

Links