The Shotgun: Left Handed Shooters' Weapon Of Choice?

This is a discussion on The Shotgun: Left Handed Shooters' Weapon Of Choice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes indeed!...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The Shotgun: Left Handed Shooters' Weapon Of Choice?

Yes indeed!

miller_man likes this.

Great example, but it only really works with Mossbergs, because of the location of the safety being on top of the receiver.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

The gent in the video installed a lefty safety...

The part # for the 870 is F102044 (Left Handed Trigger Plate Assembly) if I am not mistaken.

You are correct though...when it comes to a stock shotgun, the Mossberg is the way to go for ambi use.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Great example, but it only really works with Mossbergs, because of the location of the safety being on top of the receiver.

It truly isn't going to make much difference to a lefty one way or the other. We have been adapting to shooting righty's guns our entire lives. Every shotgun I own is for a right-hander and I am quite proficient with them. It's not that hard to overcome.
    OD* and ConcealedinPA like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    It truly isn't going to make much difference to a lefty one way or the other. We have been adapting to shooting righty's guns our entire lives. Every shotgun I own is for a right-hander and I am quite proficient with them. It's not that hard to overcome.
    I'm a lefty and completely agree with Longstreet. I have absolutely no issues with my 870. Easy peesy!

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    I haven't seen anyone that can't learn to run pistol or rifle or shotgun from the left side with reasonable facility. Why the shotgun is or should be considered the leftie's weapon of choice is still a puzzle to me. The video makes no case for it. It's nice demonstration, but that's all that it is. Running fight like that drill sets up, you're way better off with a carbine.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    The safety behind the trigger can often be reversed so that pushing from the left takes it off safe. I also prefer a larger head aftermarket safety, such as a Vang (Remington) or Dave's Metal Works (Benelli).

Keep in mine that most shotguns are not drop safe even with the safety on. Many users leave the safety off with a mag full or downloaded by one and an empty chamber, and work the action (bolt or slide) when preparing to shoot. The safety then becomes irrelevant.

John W in SC

That's the point. The shotgun in the video is not a lefty model. Port loading for left handed shooters is a breeze.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    The point was to illustrate a combat reload (+1). A lefty has eyes and support hand on the ejection side. The righties in the beginning had to roll the gun over. It also looked like the lefty was far more proficient at the combat reload than the others.

Although my Beretta also has a tang mounted safety, the position of the safety was not the point of the video; the reload was.

This video is from a shotgun class...hence a shotgun is being used. When you take a shotgun class...take a carbine. The point is that port loading a shotgun is easier as a lefty...that's it...with a little poetic license. Nothing that serious to warrant such tangents.

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    I haven't seen anyone that can't learn to run pistol or rifle or shotgun from the left side with reasonable facility. Why the shotgun is or should be considered the leftie's weapon of choice is still a puzzle to me. The video makes no case for it. It's nice demonstration, but that's all that it is. Running fight like that drill sets up, you're way better off with a carbine.

It's easier to port load a shotgun as a lefty...nothing to overcome. That's the point.

Correct. I still prefer to ride the safety and disengage to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by John_W_in_SC View Post
    The safety behind the trigger can often be reversed so that pushing from the left takes it off safe. I also prefer a larger head aftermarket safety, such as a Vang (Remington) or Dave's Metal Works (Benelli).

Keep in mine that most shotguns are not drop safe even with the safety on. Many users leave the safety off with a mag full or downloaded by one and an empty chamber, and work the action (bolt or slide) when preparing to shoot. The safety then becomes irrelevant.

John W in SC

We have a winner!!! Thank you:)

The gentleman next to the lefty insisted on doing it his way. The faster/easier method is to come under and drop the shell in as the shotgun is pointed at the threat. The shooter finally agreed to do it the recommended way and he became quite proficient with it by the end of class.

It's still much easier for a lefty. Someone on another forum mentioned that it's like throwing darts into the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    The point was to illustrate a combat reload (+1). A lefty has eyes and support hand on the ejection side. The righties in the beginning had to roll the gun over. It also looked like the lefty was far more proficient at the combat reload than the others.

Although my Beretta also has a tang mounted safety, the position of the safety was not the point of the video; the reload was.

I don't think my 590 or 870 are weapons choice because of which hand I use (ambidextrous, primarily lefty). For reloads off of a shell carrier into the chamber, regardless of which hand I use, my hand still has to go from one side of the shotgun to the other.

If loading into the tube, I don't see any advantage either for a lefty.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I think what Phoenix TS is showing is the relative economy- and certainty-of-motion of the side-saddle combat (chamber) reload, when compared to a right-handed shooter, who must either blind-toss the shell if going from under-the-receiver, or must do an overhand with a tilt if going over-the-top.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links