Firearms trainer interview – David Kenik

This is a discussion on Firearms trainer interview – David Kenik within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; David Kenik has focused much of his training effort on distance learning, using DVDs. I’ve mentioned the fact that if all the firearms trainers in ...

Thread: Firearms trainer interview – David Kenik

Firearms trainer interview – David Kenik

David Kenik has focused much of his training effort on distance learning, using DVDs. I’ve mentioned the fact that if all the firearms trainers in the country, including NRA Instructors, were working at full capacity, it would still only be possible to train less than 3 percent of US gunowners annually. Distance learning is a venue that needs to be used more in the industry.

Firearms trainer interview ? David Kenik - Atlanta Firearms | Examiner.com
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

2. Remove Ads

There are a lot of qualified FIs in my area with little to do.

It seems many people think they are 'good enough' with their firearms.
    I was at the indoor range yesterday afternoon to try out my new XDs .45 and was the only one there. (??)

Dang Folks.... If you don't want any training, AT LEAST PRACTICE!
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

^^ Agreed. I teach in my town, and our beautiful multi-million dollar range is empty 90% of the time. Sometimes I feel like I have my very own little "Gunsite." I can take students out and run scenarios, barricades, etc.

But at best it's a part-time business. I do it because I like it and I feel people need at least a basic level of confidence and competence. Most of my business is security guard training - and many of them are worse than civilians. I'd guess offhand over half haven't shot their gun since the last qualification a year before. At least we get them to clean the gun and load fresh ammo. Many guards just don't "get it."

The problem with training is a few things from my experience in the field.

First is that people go to places like front sight and think they don't have to practice and they are top echelon.
    Second is the issue of people doing static drills and training for one scenario. Granted its hard to train a class on how to think.
    Third is that I typically try to teach the basics first and then get students involved in fluid situations or range courses that require thought and judgement mixed with speed. This ensures that students understand that it's better not to respond intuitively to everything, but to be able to think under stress and remain in control. I stress that relying solely on double taps is a great way to sell yourself short, but is a great introduction to learning to put rounds on target quickly without overdoing it.
    Fourth is the issue of people treating the static range as if it's training for more than marksmanship, especially when the range only allows one round every two seconds

Links