Must Have Targets for Outdoor Range

This is a discussion on Must Have Targets for Outdoor Range within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for must have target ideas for my outdoor handgun range. I want to keep things interesting for my wife and daughters when shooting. ...

Thread: Must Have Targets for Outdoor Range

Must Have Targets for Outdoor Range

I'm looking for must have target ideas for my outdoor handgun range. I want to keep things interesting for my wife and daughters when shooting. I thought an ar500 gong target would be good. Also one of those dueling trees. Some sort of interactive target like a BG silhouette that pops out from behind a tree when I activate it. Any other ideas? This will be mainly for handguns.

I did buy a trap thrower for my wife and can hardly wait to get this thing going.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Birchwood Casey has some cool game type targets. I bought some for my wife and I, but have not had any range time with them yet.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ +1. Hang a shirt on it, and it's a totally different game. Similarly, 2-dimensional "anatomic" targets (paper) can also be very educational (Law Enforcement Targets, Inc. - Anatomy Targets). Draping them with a t-shirt can further enhance that education.

There was also an episode of The Best Defense in which Janich demo'ed how to rig up your own cardboard-box constructed 3-D silhouette targets, along with a balloon tie inside the target at center-mass, so that a shot there would bring down the threat.

-----

Pincus previewed the Jedburgh Target System quite a while ago...does anyone know if this system is on the open market yet?

I love law enforcement targets. I live in their home state, and I stopi n and grab stuff from the warehouse all the time. The locals around their neighborhood hate them though. They have the, how should we say, "controversial" targets. The ones of little kids holding guns and pregnant women. I don't buy those, but some of the neighbors have made so e pretty nasty comments towards LE Targets and all gun owners in general. I think you should get some steel targets that fall. Those are always fun if they are allowed.

Look at how Hicock45 has his range set up.. As a rule dont use glass/paint etc used bio degable stuff .. Just makes it easier.

Get a lot of clay piegons a lot you can do with thouse ( they make shooting mounts and target boards for them ) .. And bowling pins are fun

Also the bleeding zombie targets are funs

Ray Schafer Rimfire Metallic Silhouette Knock Down Target Set Cast is alwasy fun

and dueling trees like this are a blast High Point Target Dueling Post 22 Cal Rimfire Steel

Amazon.com: Do-All Outdoors .9mm-30.06 Steel Round Up Target: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Do-All Outdoors .9mm-30.06 Steel Round Up Target: Sports & Outdoors
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

The AR500 targets aren't cheap, but they sure fill the bill for reactive targets.

My shooting buddy and I are growing our collection of targets for informal range use in the desert. Collectively we have a 4" square, a 4" round, and a set of 3" rounds assembled into a "dueling tree." He's handy with a welder and makes clever stands that support the targets with enough freedom of motion to react without getting knocked over.

We recently took a friend out to get him familiar with action shooting. We had the steel targets and 3 target stands that used IPSC-type cardboard backers. For one of those, we used neat little clips that grabbed clay targets and pinned them to the cardboard, so with a little creativity we created a USPSA/IPSC-type stage. Two shots each on steel, partially obscured silhouette target on one cardboard backer, a full silhouette on another, and the last target had clays so hitting one was a "stop" target. Nothing special, just a little imagination involved to run what we brung.

I think if you Google "USPSA targets" or similar you'll find plans for appearing/disappearing and swinging targets. Steel is more durable but if you don't have a welding rig, wood furring strips work as well and are cheap to replace if they get shot up.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the great ideas and links. I can see where this might get expensive. The LE targets would be a blast.

ar500 is really not necessary if your just using handguns, I have several steel targets that I have made from 3/8" steel that I bought at a local welding shop that have held up for years and it was a lot cheaper. They have been shot with .380, 9mm, .38super, .40sw and .45acp.

AR500 steel targets are awesome ...
    Steel Targets ... are Awesome!

Links