Who Point shoots/who doesn't

This is a discussion on Who Point shoots/who doesn't within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I am NOT trying to start a debate on which is better. Though i am doubtless it will come to that. I am ...

View Poll Results: Who Point Shoots Vs. Sighted Fire?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • You use sighted fire

26 15.38%
  • You use point shooting

9 5.33%
  • You use both

134 79.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree407Likes

Thread: Who Point shoots/who doesn't

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar

Hey guys,

I am NOT trying to start a debate on which is better. Though i am doubtless it will come to that.

I am interested to find out how many guys actively train to point shoot vs. how many guys only use sighted fire vs. how many cross train for both.

Maybe a BRIEF explanation why... i know, asking for trouble.

Does half the shooters on here follow the fairbain/applegate methods? or 1/4? or 3/4? or what?

to answer my own question, i train both, but i suspect in a close range life or death fight i would point shoot. acquiring sight picture with a handgun is not something i have ingrained to the point of reflex. as range opens up and i have the ability to get cover i may start aming for more precision. JMO.
    gatorbait51, xds45, BobR1 and 1 others like this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I train doing point shooting Because it's all you may be able to do in a defensive situation. Since I do both sighted fire is for more distant shots that need more focus.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Definitely point an shoot
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    As was pointed out in an earlier thread, one compliments another. Close-in, point shooting. Further out, aimed shooting if you have the luxury of time and maybe cover. I have been following the Fairbairne/Applegate/Wegner methods for 50 years and have successfully employed them in real combat (sorry to say). Practice both point and aimed methods weekly, still. Recently ordered the DVD from Paladin Press, not received yet. Should be very interesting. Trained in Applegate methods in the 60's. Anybody want to pick up my monthly ammo bill?
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    I don't see how it isn't pointing the gun either way. Point with sights, point with some form of index, line 'em up, lock it down, whatever. You still point, you still shoot. Particulars of same, we can and will discuss. Sighted shooting? Well, dang, I hope you're keeping at least one eye open when you're doing that! Kind of defeats the purpose otherwise, don't you think?

(Just in case someone misses it...there is some intentional humor integrated into this posting.)
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

I am buying a bucket of popcorn, before brownie gets started....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I do both, and since I only have one eye I defiantly leave that one open.
    molleur, OD*, gatorbait51 and 3 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    I use the front sight at anything beyond 5 or so yards, and use both front and rear at anything beyond 10 or so yards
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I voted as using both but do find I point the gun even at longer distance then use sights to verify that I am on. Rather than look at and have a sight picture then lock onto target. My bring the gun up and pointing is very close to being on even though I am not using sights to get there.

Even with point shooting you should be using the gun as a reference even though you are not focused on it. Your peripheral vision is pick up the gun and using it to make hits.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

This is the easiest OP question I've seen in days. Anyone (IMHO) who doesn't practice point-shooting & include that technique in their skill-set is a chucklehead. Anyone who imagines point-shooting to be the ONLY way to effectively to aim a handgun is ALSO a chucklehead, AND a prime candidate to become an...organ donor.

BTW, Kava, your grammar is whack. "Does half..." Should actually read - "Do half..."
    (You started it!)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I train to point shoot out to a certain distance. When I hit the distance where my shots get unacceptable, I transition over to aimed shots. Personally, I can't imagine not practicing point shooting but I guess if you aren't practicing for SD where speed and accuracy are both important, then I guess it wouldn't have that much of a draw.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I train to point shoot out to a certain distance. When I hit the distance where my shots get unacceptable, I transition over to aimed shots. Personally, I can't imagine not practicing point shooting but I guess if you aren't practicing for SD where speed and accuracy are both important, then I guess it wouldn't have that much of a draw.
    So beyond three feet you're aiming, right?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So beyond three feet you're aiming, right?
    It depends. Are we talking clown feet or baby feet?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    As was pointed out in an earlier thread, one compliments another. Close-in, point shooting. Further out, aimed shooting if you have the luxury of time and maybe cover. I have been following the Fairbairne/Applegate/Wegner methods for 50 years and have successfully employed them in real combat (sorry to say). Practice both point and aimed methods weekly, still. Recently ordered the DVD from Paladin Press, not received yet. Should be very interesting. Trained in Applegate methods in the 60's. Anybody want to pick up my monthly ammo bill?
    I ordered mine yesterday I have been working on point shooting and intend to take a class down in Arizona to get some serious training. I just started working on it about 3 months ago. I printed off that article the other day so I can study it at my leisure (when I get back from a scuba trip to the Cayman Islands Friday)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Administrator
    Point shooter here. When it hits the fan, you're never going to see your sights
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Links