Firearms trainer interview John Johnston

This is a discussion on Firearms trainer interview John Johnston within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the things that I often mention is that the training community needs to expand into distance education. John Johnston's radio show, Ballistic Radio, ...

One of the things that I often mention is that the training community needs to expand into distance education. John Johnston's radio show, Ballistic Radio, reaches 25,000 people each week. Many of them will never attend any training class. But regular listeners of his show get a weekly one hour education experience from trainers such as Paul Sharp, William Aprill, Craig Douglas, Massad Ayoob, Greg Ellifritz, and myself. I think that has a lot of value. Maybe more value than going to one in-person training class, never getting any refresher training, and then forgetting everything you were taught a month later.

He records a podcast of each show. The link to the podcasts is at the bottom of the article.

Firearms trainer interview ? John Johnston - Atlanta Firearms | Examiner.com

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I like his thinking on question #6

6) How would you describe your training philosophy?

Be prepared.

Understand what’s likely and unlikely.

Know your geographic area, what transpires in your area, including what the outliers are.

Prepare for unlikely scenarios in a way that does not seem like fantasy.

If you train to meet the high standard, then it’s pretty easy to meet the low standard.

Think about a bad day. For instance, what if the incident starts with you being shot? Train, at least sometimes, for that possibility.

Train for the worst case scenario.

Turn a gunfight into a shooting.

If I had to pick one thing we should be training on, it’s movement on the draw.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Links