Point shooting w/live fire range trip (pics)

This is a discussion on Point shooting w/live fire range trip (pics) within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So this past weekend, I got to get out on some private land and do something I've yet been able to do - some more ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By miller_man
  • 3 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 2 Post By molleur
  • 2 Post By miller_man
  • 4 Post By N.M. Edmands
  • 2 Post By N.M. Edmands
  • 2 Post By PhoenixTS
  • 1 Post By Matthew Temkin

Thread: Point shooting w/live fire range trip (pics)

Distinguished Member

So this past weekend, I got to get out on some private land and do something I've yet been able to do - some more realistic training and work from my appendix holster . It was fantastic and my shooting wasn't too bad either. Getting to shoot outside of the basic square range or the very controlled IDPA match was very pleasant.

Went out last Sat, took some blue prints (for big target paper) and a home made target stand and got to do some things I've not been able to do - work on drawing from AIWB with loaded gun, draw and shoot from AIWB, draw and point shoot, move + draw (very little of this because I was just working on safely and soundly drawing + shooting for the first time from appendix). Btw, I have done a TON of dry fire practice with all of these things, literally for months, 2-4 nights a week - so I felt safe and confident in my handling skills to do so. Finally being able to do these things with live ammo was exciting and a breath of fresh, gun powder filled air.

011.JPG(The one shot in the neck was just warm up shot.)

Here are my pics from my first 2 mags of draw + point shoot - 1 target w/2 hands, one w/1 hand. Just out at 3-5 yards. First two things I found out when point shooting, - for me, to try and also find the sights - was totally counterproductive. Just point and shoot with what felt natural and good with my body almost always landed much better shots ( I have done this ALOT at home with an empty gun, finding the sights after breaking the trigger press to see if my "shot" was good). A number of my missed shots were when I searched for the sights while already in the process of squeezing the trigger. This was even more true shooting one handed. Which brings me to the second thing I quickly learned - when point shooting one handed, pushing the gun out to full extension and taking a leaning step forward produced MUCH better shots. I've worked with a shot timer app on my phone, and I'm pretty sure all my draw+shot times were at or under 3 seconds, hopefully around 2.5, but I wasn't pushing for speed. But I did go fast enough to push myself past a - "draw/sight picture/shoot"- .

012.JPG My second + third times around things got a bit better. Can't remember if this was the 2nd, or 3rd sets. I focused more on just point shooting with what felt natural. I still had some poor misses, some of them were from trying to go too fast, but some times I still tried to find the sights. I had other targets, but they were more of the same.
    Shot over 100 rounds just working from the draw. After 50 rnds, went back another couple of yards and things opened up a little bit more. Even though I wasn't happy about that, I definitely gained a much better grasp on how this feels and the things I need to work on at home to produce better results. I took a few video's that I could post, if I knew how.

I think I'll have pretty easy access to this spot so hopefully will be back in 2 weeks or so and get to work on more of this + plus some real shooting drills with a timer as well. Feedback is welcomed.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Do you practice at home in front of a mirror? I have found that was the most helpful thing for me when learning to present the gun straight out - not tipped up or tipped down. Works best for COM practice.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Do you practice at home in front of a mirror? I have found that was the most helpful thing for me when learning to present the gun straight out - not tipped up or tipped down. Works best for COM practice.
    Good to practice and dry fire this way. Another exercise is to point your finger at a small object such as a light switch or outlet. Stay on it for a few seconds, close your eyes and point again with eyes closed. Open your eyes and see how you did.
    You'll be amazed. Take it a little further with weapon holstered, etc. Do the same. Amazement again after a few of these.
    Sambuh and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member
    I have a little bit, but the wall that is my "safe" wall for dry fire doesn't have a mirror around. I could bring one to it, thanks for the tip.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Doesn't work for me, the guy in the mirror always beats me. I think it's because he's so good looking that I can't focus.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

miller_man, I need to apologize to you I was so focused after reading this thread, that all I could think about was being a smart alec. Your results were impressive for a first timer working at this.
    gatorbait51 and miller_man like this.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

I prefer to use a mirror to work on picking up my front sight instead of focusing on my reflection...use a camcorder to ascertain your draw stroke.
    gatorbait51 and Blue Thunder like this.

Sponsor
    Glad you're enjoying the exploration sir.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I've tried doing a search, but I can't quite figure out what or how point shooting actually works. I understand it is not using the sights and just trying to aim naturally. I've been shooting for less than a year. Can somebody break it down for me? Very simply? Maybe with some pictures.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    103FLHX likes this.

Thumbs up

Point shooting works great when your target is close (3-5 yards). I have trained this way in the past.

Links