Good and bad advice

Good and bad advice

This is a discussion on Good and bad advice within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I couldn't find this running elsewhere, so sorry if it is a duplicate. The ?Sonny and Cher? of Self-Defense Have a Surprising Stance on Guns ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Good and bad advice

VIP Member

Good and bad advice

I couldn't find this running elsewhere, so sorry if it is a duplicate.

The ?Sonny and Cher? of Self-Defense Have a Surprising Stance on Guns (Plus: Their Tips for Escaping an Attacker) | TheBlaze.com

I like the whole escape approach, but discouraging firearms just doesn't fit with the rest of their message. And, "a weapon can be taken away from you very easily" is nothing short of a negligent claim - train to use the weapon and no one is taking it away...

Mmmmm...

"While many tout the benefits of having a concealed carry license or a gun in the home, Tracy and Charlie don’t necessarily believe it’s the best way to secure one’s protection.

“There are ways that you can teach people to get away or how to confront people without a weapon,” Charlie said.

Tracy added, “A weapon can be taken away from you very quickly.”

They don't have a clue as to what the real world is about.IMHO

Reminds me of that (Ohio, I believe...) congressman who was very 'anti'...until he actually got robbed; he completely changed his tune and got his permit and a firearm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a Nephew who is into martial arts. He smugly told me that it was easy to disarm someone with a pistol.

I drew my imaginary hand pistol, in two handed retention grip on the strong side, close to my body, and said "Go ahead." Ready to say "Bang, Bang", if he moved.

He was expecting me to fully extend my arm, pistol out in front, etc. He then explained well yeah, but if you held it out, then its easy.

I explained thats why there are retention grips.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I have a Nephew who is into martial arts. He smugly told me that it was easy to disarm someone with a pistol.

I drew my imaginary hand pistol, in two handed retention grip on the strong side, close to my body, and said "Go ahead." Ready to say "Bang, Bang", if he moved.

He was expecting me to fully extend my arm, pistol out in front, etc. He then explained well yeah, but if you held it out, then its easy.

I explained thats why there are retention grips.

I have a nephew who is an extremely liberal college professor. He and his wife both have several degrees of black-belts in several martial arts. They also teach martial arts. We went through similar scenarios. Where I grew up, I was a minority and fought to survive in school. He always tells me he can take me, but doesn't have survival instincts. I can still put him on the ground.
    StormRhydr, ccw9mm, tdave and 4 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I'm sure these two mean well... but they are dangerous.
    RickyD, PEF, tdave and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I have a nephew who is an extremely liberal college professor. He and his wife both have several degrees of black-belts in several martial arts. They also teach martial arts. We went through similar scenarios. Where I grew up, I was a minority and fought to survive in school. He always tells me he can take me, but doesn't have survival instincts. I can still put him on the ground.
    I hear yah, my brother. A joke that was not a joke at all with me was someone saying "Watch out, I know Karate!". My response "Yeah, and I know table leg".

Clueless

VIP Member
    There are actually some people who should not have guns. But this should be determined on a one by one basis and those persons should fully understand and agree to the reasons.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I'm sure these two mean well... but they are dangerous.
    Especially to themselves.
    RickyD and Secret Spuk like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    "The “Sonny and Cher” of self-defense." Really? I don't find that very confidence inspiring. They do seem to have a nice business going however.

VIP Member
    If it’s a purse or personal items, they recommend immediately handing them over. But if the person wants to abduct the victim, that’s when the experts recommend saying “no” and running away in a zigzag pattern. While this may seem like a scary option, they believe it offers the best chance of survival.

“Most bad guys aren’t good shots,” Charlie said.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    His and hers Regis Philbin in clown shoes.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

5 stars for you Storm.

More like the Stiller and Meara of self-defense. Funny, not to be taken seriously.

Now the "JD and Lima" of self-defense, THAT's something I'd pay attention to!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    The reports I see of actual shootings and fights include a larger number of incidences where the good guy takes the bad guys gun away than vice versa. Perhaps someone should tell them they're supporting the criminal element with this philosophy more than the good guys.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links