Real world target practice training?

This is a discussion on Real world target practice training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, forgive the title, I really don't know what it's called, but I've talked to a person who took a course where you have to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Real world target practice training?

Real world target practice training?

Ok, forgive the title, I really don't know what it's called, but I've talked to a person who took a course where you have to go through a building and stuff pops up at you and you have to decide whether to shoot or not ( threat or friendly?) and is Italy situations. Anyone know how I find a course li,e this? I'm great on the range, but that means nothing in a real world threat situation, would love to train under pressure. I'm in East TN.

2. Remove Ads

Search out an instructor in your area who conducts force on force training.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    try these guys out: VataGroup | Firearms Training | Pistol Training | Tactical Firearms Training | VATA Training Center| -VataTrainingCenter.com I saw a video they did on road rage--thought they looked like they knew what they were about.

Also these guys: Gear, Training, Consulting, & Necessary Evils
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Sorry to hijack (and I apologize) but leaving aside the intense training that this thread seems to be about, my first reaction to the title is in line with my target shooting practice. I watch so many at the range discharging their handguns at distances beyond 20, 30, 40 yards or more and even watch my friends line up their shots on the target as if they are at a national target shooting competition. To me practice is exactly that--I should practice what my intentions are for having a firearm in the first place and that is home defense and out and about defense (if I even carry) at distances where my 72 year old eyes can actually make out "presumption of imminent danger of death or great bodily injury", which is the ONLY reason I will discharge my firearm. That distance is certainly not more than 10 yards and requires quick action on my part that includes point shooting or some variation of same as opposed to time spent activating lasers, flashlights, reflex optics etal. Bottom line: I practice for what I consider the "real world", as opposed to something that has never been in my 72 years. Please no "what ifs"--tired of trying to read sense into most of them.
    flaguns likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Sorry to hijack (and I apologize) but leaving aside the intense training that this thread seems to be about, my first reaction to the title is in line with my target shooting practice. I watch so many at the range discharging their handguns at distances beyond 20, 30, 40 yards or more and even watch my friends line up their shots on the target as if they are at a national target shooting competition. To me practice is exactly that--I should practice what my intentions are for having a firearm in the first place and that is home defense and out and about defense (if I even carry) at distances where my 72 year old eyes can actually make out "presumption of imminent danger of death or great bodily injury", which is the ONLY reason I will discharge my firearm. That distance is certainly not more than 10 yards and requires quick action on my part that includes point shooting or some variation of same as opposed to time spent activating lasers, flashlights, reflex optics etal. Bottom line: I practice for what I consider the "real world", as opposed to something that has never been in my 72 years. Please no "what ifs"--tired of trying to read sense into most of them.
    +1!!

My mom and step dad (both CCL) go once or twice a month to tactical training with their carry weapons and are put in many "real life" situations like the OP described. I know you are in TN and they are in TX but I think they go to the Winchester Gun Range in Arlington, TX. Maybe they would have some references. I too would like to start going regulary to some tactical training.

Now.....this is what it's all about.

VIP Member
    I get a kick out of people who deride others for doing things they themselves are incapable of or unwilling to do. No need for what ifs from me. I know one gunfight survivor who is alive today only because he was able to effectively engage his assailant from over sixty yards away with his M&P40 (I thought it was a Glock until I talked to him), after taking four AK rounds from ambush. Will it ever happen to me? Probably not, but it might. Denial of the possibility has no survival value.
    manolito likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    Most people use tools.

Some people master them.
    Mike1956, oneshot, AzQkr and 2 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Maybe some people like doing more shooting than just what they'd need for real life defense? Sometimes its about fun... enjoyment... and not just training.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I get a kick out of people who deride others for doing things they themselves are incapable of or unwilling to do. No need for what ifs from me. I know one gunfight survivor who is alive today only because he was able to effectively engage his assailant from over sixty yards away with his M&P40 (I thought it was a Glock until I talked to him), after taking four AK rounds from ambush. Will it ever happen to me? Probably not, but it might. Denial of the possibility has no survival value.

^^While I won't be that hard on kelcarry^^

I agree with Mike.
    Ask Mr. Vic Stacy how that works.
    While the article says 150 yards, it was more like 70-75 yards, but that is still one hell of an exhibition from and old gezzer.

Armed Citizen in TX Stops Shooting Spree and Saves Cop by Making 150+ Yard Shot With a Pistol : The Jack Blood Show
    Armed Citizen in TX Stops Shooting Spree and Saves Cop by Making 150+ Yard Shot With a Pistol
    FROM ARTICLE:
    Conner may have had excellent cover against the Officer Means, but Stacy was in a flanking position that gave him the perfect vantage point. Stacy recalled, “I had a side view of that man the whole time standing there, and I thought, I’m fixin’ to put one in him, if I can.”

At that point, Conner returned fire against Stacy with his AR-15. He missed his shot, luckily, but that gave dead-eye Stacy another opportunity to pull the trigger. Stacy “hit him again and put three more in him … The patrolman got two shots in him with that AR-15. And it seems like he’s all over with, then.”
    END

Now how many of you, would let that officer go down without helping him return fire on the BG if you could?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Some people like the competitive nature of getting 5 shots in a 1" square from 7 yards or 15 yards (without a scope), or maybe even further. It's a challenge that can be a ton of fun to accomplish. Most people I've seen capable of doing this can shoot the center out of a silhouette target all day without hesitation. It takes a lot of proper technique to be a great target shooter, that does transfer over to defensive shooting.

Senior Moderator
    It takes a lot of proper technique to be a great target shooter, that does transfer over to defensive shooting.
    Not quite.

While I agree that mastery of the gun that comes from shooting targets would be of great value in a defensive shooting, standing in one spot taking a fine bead on a target is NOT what one needs to be doing in a defensive shooting to stay alive.

Try target shooting sometime with Simunitions and guys that are shooting back. You'll see.
    tacman605 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Another two cents...

Welcome to the forum.... good to have you...

Your title is in my humble opinion perfect...

There is no shortage of schools, instructors, techniques, and advice. Some of it good, some of it not as good, some downright bad. Being a newbie of sorts I'd advise that you first review your lifestyle, living area, friends, children (if any) and what you consider a potential threat... Not a likely threat, but a potential threat. I have an exercise I do and you might try. As I'm going through my day I stop and ask myself "What is the worst thing that could happen right now".

Second step would be to do some research to what instructors or schools might fit your needs. You may want to get some face time with the instructor(s) and run your own situation down.

While your completing this project, and going about your normal life I'd suggest two additional things. First research the use of deadly force in your state. This can probably be done on line. Second I'd recomend that you start practicing right away. Training is good, but practicing makes it perfect.

Lastly I'd recomend being an active partcipant in this forum. Most of us learn from each other.
    tdave likes this.

Kel, I fully understand what you are talking about. Your life and your context. After 72 years I might feel the same way, but my life and context may be different, so might the OP. They may need more. Most will never have to engage a BG, some will have done it more than once. We both know that being ready is key...

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    Maybe some people like doing more shooting than just what they'd need for real life defense? Sometimes its about fun... enjoyment... and not just training.
    There are plenty of activities in the shooting sports. They are fun and stimulating. The individual has to decide whether or not to use his guns for hobby, SD, or both. Hobby, gaming type shooting is not training per say. The real word application of force should be done with qualified instructors in a force on force environment. Then applying what you learned in training to how you should practice.

OP I am not sure how close you are to Camden TN, but Tactical Response is pretty good.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links