Location of targets at range

This is a discussion on Location of targets at range within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have a rule at the outdoor range that says 'no mid-range targets', i.e. wooden scaffolds with the targets stapled on. Now if you look ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joker1

Thread: Location of targets at range

Location of targets at range

We have a rule at the outdoor range that says 'no mid-range targets', i.e. wooden scaffolds with the targets stapled on. Now if you look at the geometry, sighting at a 3-4' high wooden scaffold target mid-range (say 20-25 feet from the shooting bench) makes you sight down on the backstop and, it appears to me that it's safer. Place it further away and the sights rise.

Can anyone give me the logic (or illogic) behind this edict? Why would it be unsafe? You're shooting into the backstop (a pile of dirt) just above the base - you're not in danger of rounds going where they should not.

TIA

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    deflection, possibly, is one thing comes to mind. Your bullet passes thru your wooden backstop and it may get deflected in any, unpredictable direction. So i tiny kick in elevation could send your deflected round right over the backstop. or to the side into another shooters lane.

and idiot proofing. They allow that and some dimwit will think it's ok to bring his old TV in and shoot it, or whatever.

Maybe defection? Closer to the backstop the rounds are more apt to go into it rather than going through a target or something holding a target and sending fragments or whole bullets some other direction. I don't wear a white coat ever but I have a pretty good imagination.

Best to move shooting position and target closer to the backstop.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Ding, oh, you're allowed to use the wooden scaffold targets, you're just told to put them up closer to the berm. There are no other shooters except us - it's a two man station.

So far none of the Range officers have been able to say why, they just get fussy and say 'move if forward'. I just don't get it. It's not a metal target, it's wooden slats in a /\ shape.

There's really nothing for deflected rounds to go into, it's just woods, trees and this big pile of dirt. Nothing else back there.

Thanks for the reply.

If there is grass in between the firing point and the berm, debris could be a concern for lawnmowers. It will also keep the yard in better shape from not being shot up.

A wooden slat could still deflect a bullet. The closer to the berm the target is the better the berm can catch the projectile. Imagine skipping a round off of piece of steel laying on the ground 25 yards from the berm, that sucker is going over. Now imagine skipping a round off of a piece of steel 5 yards from the berm, nice catch berm. (WARNING: DO NOT TRY THIS EVER)
    I am not a professional, didn't even take geometry but science is so cool. There is a lot of liability involved with a shooting range, any little incident and you can kiss it goodbye. Work with the range officers, not against them.
    Speculator likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    A wooden slat could still deflect a bullet. The closer to the berm the target is the better the berm can catch the projectile. Work with the range officers, not against them.
    OK, this makes a lot of sense. Closer means less chance of deflection over the berm. Also lots of liability. However, I have to say it seems overly cautious considering this is a 25 ft high berm and mid range is 15 feet from it and we're surrounded by woods and trees and not much else. Still I get the point. Thanks, guys, you're the best!

Links