Got training?

Got training?

This is a discussion on Got training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm probably preaching to the choir by posting this in the Training forum but PLEASE make training a priority in 2007. Don't buy the latest ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got training?

Got training?

I'm probably preaching to the choir by posting this in the Training forum but PLEASE make training a priority in 2007. Don't buy the latest gadget or another gun to put in your safe and fire once a year. Chances are you have enough guns and YOU are the weak link in your ability to defend yourself.

Combatives, knife, pistol, long gun, medical, driving... There are plenty of training options ALL of which can be life saving and most of which are very under-trained.

Stop buying more guns you won’t shoot. Stop wasting ammo at the range. Make 2007 the year you invest in yourself.

Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

Here, here! excellent advice my friend.

I took 9 training classes in 2006 and have a goal to take even more this year!

GREAT POST!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I have to agree with you, Shackle. As most know I just completed Gunsite's 250 Pistol. I think that course is far more valuable than a new $1200+ firearm. As much as I would love a new Springfield M1A SOCOM...

A gun may last years and if kept in new condidtion, may eventually sell for plenty of money.

But a skill honed for years and kept in good condition, may eventually save your life or the life of another.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

SixBravo,

It's great to hear you completed your first class.
    You are located close to Gabe Suarez's school if you are looking for afordable training closer to home. Check out his site:
    http://www.suarezinternational.com/index.html

I don't make any money if you train with Gabe. In fact he's "the competition" but I'd rather see gun owners more trained than less and Gabe is someone I recommend because he is non-dogmatic and reality-based. You WILL get your money's worth training with him.

I have just moved to about 50 minuts from the Oregon Firearms Academy and plan on taking many classes out there. I had to get a few things taken care of before enrolling in one but now that they are out of the way i will be taking another Knife defense class as well as close quarters pistol training.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

This Old, Fat, Bald, 60 Y/O...

plans on attending a course at GunSite...within the year...

I have taken a couple of 'in state' defensive shooting courses...and they were 'enlightening' to say the least...

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Retsup99,
    Have you trained with Andy Stanford? He's a very good instructor and teaches in central Florida.

It's great to hear that you have had some formal training and are seeking more.

buy some ammo and go to the range. hard to beat when you do this several times a month.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Wow. No kiddin. I didn't realize his offices were here in town. They're down near Whiskey Row. I'm gonna have to stop by sometime and shake his hand.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I have taken a couple of 'in state' defensive shooting courses...and they were 'enlightening' to say the least..

ret
    Retsupt99,

I am looking for a course in Florida. Which courses did you take, and, based on your experience, which do you recommend? You can PM this information to me if you prefer. Thanks.

Ron

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShackleMeNot View Post
    I'm probably preaching to the choir by posting this in the Training forum but PLEASE make training a priority in 2007. Don't buy the latest gadget or another gun to put in your safe and fire once a year. Chances are you have enough guns and YOU are the weak link in your ability to defend yourself.

Combatives, knife, pistol, long gun, medical, driving... There are plenty of training options ALL of which can be life saving and most of which are very under-trained.

Stop buying more guns you won’t shoot. Stop wasting ammo at the range. Make 2007 the year you invest in yourself.

Here here!

I have taken over fifty firearms courses and am now teaching my own. I find that I learn as much, or more as an instructor. Making sure that you put on a really good course requires a lot of work and preparation. Making sure that you "put in the work" so that you can pass on the very best and most current information is a real labor of love.

I am looking to step up the number of courses I offer this year and looking to take a few myself to keep current. For those in the Vegas area keep an eye out, I am all set up at the Boulder City range to run courses and host some from some of the other organizations.

People that I meet are constantly amazed at the number of courses that I have taken and how streamlined my gear is. Gear is nothing without the right training behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Retsupt99,

I am looking for a course in Florida. Which courses did you take, and, based on your experience, which do you recommend? You can PM this information to me if you prefer. Thanks.

Ron
    Add me to the list to send this information to please. PM's gladly accepted too.

I could use even a very basic course that deals with grip and shooting vs. anything tactical at this point. While I do have my CWL, the course to get it was a joke as far as weapon handling was concerned, and while I do go the the range regularly, I figured I should get some instruction before bad habits set in.

I'm in Tallahassee BTW.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by ShackleMeNot View Post
    Retsup99,
    Have you trained with Andy Stanford? He's a very good instructor and teaches in central Florida.

It's great to hear that you have had some formal training and are seeking more.
    Do you have a contact number for Andy Stanford, telephone, e-mail, web site? I am in Florida and looking for some good training classes. Thanks.

Ron

Here ya go:

http://www.opstraining.com/

http://www.opstraining.com/contact.asp

It doesn't look like he has a 2007 schedule posted yet so I would call or email him to discuss training.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I completely agree!!

In 2004 and 2005 I took a total of 4 courses. I was a slacker this year, but got in some good defensive tactics practice sessions. In 2007 I am planning on at least attending a Gunsite course that is being given in NH! See www.neshooters.com for a dynamite schedule coming up in 2007. The sponsors are friends of mine, but I have no involvement in their venture.

I also agree with taking training from Gabe. I took 2 of my courses from him in MA in 2005 and learned a tremendous amount of survival skills.
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links