GOTX ?

This is a discussion on GOTX ? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hopefully I am not opening a can of worms here, so lets keep it civil, no name calling and putting of others down because of ...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: GOTX ?

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

GOTX ?

Hopefully I am not opening a can of worms here, so lets keep it civil, no name calling and putting of others down because of what they think and believe. State your reasons and beliefs as to why you think your right and debate but with control. If you will.

I can see this being a hot issue just like the caliber war and which gun being the best but we are above those troubles and problems. We are most likely not going to change any ones minds that already have an opinion on this subject but maybe we can give a good smorgasbord of information for those who do not to make their own minds with.

WHAT IS THE "X" IN THE STATEMENT OF (GETTING OFF THE X?)

I see the "X" being the area of your body that the other guy sees as needing to be shot in his/her mind (OODA loop). Most times that will be the COM or chest area and maybe the head. The area if you get hit there will or could kill you. (The Kill Zones)

So the GOTX to me is the moving of that area from the view of the BG as seen in his/her OODA loop. You have removed the "X" for as long as it take for the BG to bring it back into his/her view and address it to their OODA loop again. The faster and more distance you move the "X" the longer it takes for the BG to catch up and recover your "X".

Since I see the upper chest being the most likely "X" it can be moved without ever moving your feet, so the fastest way to move it is by leaning the upper body out of the way and BG line of sight. Most times the BG will have the same tunnel vision problem that we are having so it takes little movement to remove the area from their line of sight. But the faster and more distance you move the "X" the longer it takes for the BG to find it. Giving you time back that you were behind at the start of most situations you will find yourself in with a BG. Hopefully that time is used to start making hits and effecting the BG's OODA loop even more, giving you time to finish the job of stopping the threat you face.

But to me that area of head and chest are not the "X" unless they are in the BG's OODA loop of being seen and targeted. Moving the area from his view is moving the "X" and maybe even eliminating the "X" altogether for a short time.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

2. Remove Ads

The X for me is the spot right below my feet. When getting off the X, to me it means movement.

M...motionless
    O...operators
    V...ventilate
    E...easily
    cn262, molleur, bigdogtx and 13 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The X for me is the spot right below my feet. When getting off the X, to me it means movement.

M...motionless
    O...operators
    V...ventilate
    E...easily
    Exactly!

JMB
    I always took it as the "X" represented the bullseye...and you don't want to be on it!

By the way, does James Yeager still run that forum GOTX?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

AOK
    The X to me is right where I am as a whole at the moment a threat is focused on me. With that said, I'm honestly not a big fan of the whole GOTX concept and believe there are pitfalls by focusing just on GOTX.

My main focus is to get off the line of attack as quickly as possible rather than GOTX. Why?

-I can get off of the X and still be on the line of attack and therefore struck. An example would be what a lot of people learn in common firearm classes. I've experienced it in several personally where one of the areas of topic are movement. Some of the movement includes doing the groucho and walking directly toward the target and directly backwards. While I'm not saying there is never a place for this type of movement, it does not necessarily get you off of the line of attack even though you have GOTX.

-I can get off of the line of attack without getting off the X and avoid being struck. A great example is being held at gun point. My quickest way to get off of the line of attack may be a quick rediretion of the threats firearm rather than looking at GOTX.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.

VIP Member
    I've seen people who were left, right, backwards, forwards and everywhere else at once in a shooting battle (plastic pellet ammo at a defensive shooting school). They are awesome.

I am one old lady who doesn't get to the range nearly as often as I should/want. Today I was able to get out. I had to start with moving straight backward, then progress to moving sideways. Need lots more range time. But at least I know that, and some movement is better than none.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    X is the axis along which the bullet travels.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

X is the point of aim- a place you don't want to be. I first heard the term from an Observer-Controller (OC) critiquing my unit's response to incoming (simulated) artillery fire. The OC literally drew an "X" on a map where the call for fire was trying to hit and asked us why we didn't get off the "X"?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

It means that a gun fight aint like shooting at the range. It aint like the old one handed/armed, sideways stance Olympic style shooting they used to do. That stuff gets you killed.

It means start moving at the outset, and train to shoot while moving. You know, all the stuff you cant do at most ranges.

"getofftheX" is also a fine training outfits forum.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

AOK
    I'm curious, do others consider GOTX as just a concept applied to firearms? Personally I consider it a concept for any form of attack whether that be h2h, firearms, edged weapons, impact weapons, etc.

VIP Member
    The X is the spot you are standing when life takes a turn for the worst, you do not want to be there.

Take whatever action you need to by moving left, right, up, down, backwards or forwards but get off that spot.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Hmmm Interesting conversation.

GOTX... well in my world getting off the X isnt a dance... move two steps back, three steps forward, two steps to the right, three steps to the left. I believe that getting off the X is more of a concept. A train of thought. As I've mentioned before you dont get to choose the confrontation, it chooses you. Getting off the X can mean movement on your behalf, it could mean conversation on your behalf, or it can mean eliminating the threat. Getting off the X is what ever you have to do to preserve your well being or that of who your protecting. The thing is you dont know the way off the X until a situation happens. Movement is only one option.

To quote a guy I've learned to respect... " YOU ARE THE X"
    gatorbait51, AzQkr and Ghost1958 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Thanks guys so far a good discussion with lots of good thought...keep it coming.

Thanks to all that have posted.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I like to keep it simple. To me, it just means if you are a target, MOVE.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I'm curious, do others consider GOTX as just a concept applied to firearms? Personally I consider it a concept for any form of attack whether that be h2h, firearms, edged weapons, impact weapons, etc.
    The concept has been present in almost all of my martial arts training and has been present from before the time when techniques and systems were first being recorded and passed from one to another. Some of the evasive movement practiced today is derived from Medieval, Renaissance, and Asian sword-combat systems.

[shameless plug] In my second book, I have three chapters that cover concepts of evasive movement. [\shameless plug]
    AOK, gatorbait51, 40Bob and 1 others like this.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Links