They're just tools!

This is a discussion on They're just tools! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock 17 with character! Stop worrying about scratching your handgun or wearing out its finish...it's just a tool! It's like new sneakers when you were ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: They're just tools!

They're just tools!

Glock 17 with character! Stop worrying about scratching your handgun or wearing out its finish...it's just a tool!

It's like new sneakers when you were a kid...you were so worried about dirtying them that you walked gingerly and didn't run/play hard. Once they got a little dirty is when you resumed running hard and enjoying the possibilities they afforded...and you stopped stressing!

Glock17.JPG

2. Remove Ads

^^ Man, what a piece of junk. I wouldn't be caught dead carrying that scratched up old gun. What would the neighbors think?

Besides it's a Glock, that's a gansta gun.

I think you sould get rid of it immediately. I will PM my mailing address you can send it to me for disposal, after I shoot oh say another 100,000 rounds through it.

A fair point. Certainly true of a Glock or similar, at least. Some guns I'd worry about more.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    A buddy recently came to the realization that if he ever had to use his gun "for real" it would likely be taken as evidence. They were not likely to treat it as kindly as he does. Now he is thinking that his $2K and $3K 1911's might be better off staying at home.

I told him it's his choice. If he feels that expensive 1911 is going to give him the edge, carry it. His life is surely worth it. However, if he was only carrying it for pride, he would be better off with his GLOCK or XD.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Manny, I think this applies more for the guys with Kimbers or fancy show guns, and they choose to carry them. Glocks and M&P's, maybe even Rugers, are indeed tools meant to go-to-work and be beat up a little. I don't stress over my Glocks ever. I strap them on everyday and have confidence to live my life (see what I did there? )

But there is nice engraved guns that are too nice for carry. They were done up just for the collector. I'v seen some nice cowboys guns that never will have the cylinder turned to make a wear ring on them. Check out Cherrys Fine Guns in Greensboro NC. They have some very nice collector pieces. But I don't worry abt none of my guns but I do take care of them.
    lionround, BenGoodLuck and tdave like this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    Wait a Glock without the letters filled in with nail polish, no punisher slide plate? What is that all about?

A gun no matter what is a tool to be used by a craftsman.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Hey Phoenix if you happen to know how many rounds are through this gun?
    lionround and tdave like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I always thought a gun that looked to be used most likely was and the man who carried it most likely knew how to use it. If the gun looks to be new then there may be a question on the ability of the user.

I have with by and with the statement of "be weary of the man with only one gun, he most likely knows how to use it"
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixTS View Post
    Glock 17 with character ...

Glock17.JPG

That thing's probably the most reliable unit within 100mi.

A little Energizer Bunny, there. Be the Bunny.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I like the look of the wear on my guns. No safe queens at my house.

Just look boots, jeans and hats. They all get better when they're broken in.

Somehow, people seem to think that more expensive guns are OK to worry about scratching up, and its no big deal for something like a Glock. Thats nonsense in my book.

I put the issues of "Wear", and "scratched up", or "rusted up" in different categories. If you use a weapon, they all get "wear". Thats not a reflection on the degree of care from the owner.

"Scratched up". My guns are going to have as few as a life time of habits will allow. Some conditioning you cant break. Saying that, I WONT try to catch a falling gun. I have never dropped one, but if it goes, its going to hit the ground. Scratches and all.

"Rusting up". Unless the gun rusted because you were adrift at sea, without benefit of a cleaning kit, you should be ashamed.
    lionround, halem1, JDE101 and 2 others like this.

If I carried a Glock, I doubt I would care if it were scratched or dinged up, either. I currently own 2 trucks. One cost about 46K and the other about 15K. When I'm going to do something that I know might result in the bed getting scratched or dinged, I use the 15K truck. That's why I have it. I really don't care what that truck looks like. It's plain jane and it has no character. It just does its job. If I had a Glock, I'm sure my thinking on it would be the same. It's not a gun that suggests pride in ownership (nor should it.) Not a knock against Glocks, it's just the place on the food chain where it resides. It's a hot dog or hamburger, it's not a Porterhouse.

The round count on my Glock is close to 60k. BTW, its a 2nd Gen 17. Thanks for all the great comments.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixTS View Post
    Glock 17 with character! Stop worrying about scratching your handgun or wearing out its finish...it's just a tool!

It's like new sneakers when you were a kid...you were so worried about dirtying them that you walked gingerly and didn't run/play hard. Once they got a little dirty is when you resumed running hard and enjoying the possibilities they afforded...and you stopped stressing!

Glock17.JPG
    This^^^. I kinda like a well oiled, slightly used look on my pistols. I am not rich enough to own any fancy engraved pieces, so to me the slight "weathering" of my hand guns gives them character.
    BenGoodLuck and tdave like this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links