Lessons Learned at the Range

This is a discussion on Lessons Learned at the Range within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I played hooky from work last Monday since it was a beautiful day and I decided to go to the range and finally practice more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Lessons Learned at the Range

Lessons Learned at the Range

I played hooky from work last Monday since it was a beautiful day and I decided to go to the range and finally practice more realistic shooting scenarios. I normally go as a guest to a private range, but there you can't really draw, move and fire without creating a dangerous situation for yourself or others.

So, I went to the Coosa County Wildlife Management Area range north of where I live. It's a very primitive 100 yard range with no monitoring, no cover, no bathrooms and with just three shooting tables.

I had the whole place to myself that Monday afternoon!!!

Things I learned:

1) You really have to think about moving and shooting! I had to keep telling myself, "Get off the X!" to do it correctly.

2) Shooting one-handed makes it very hard to shoot accurately.

3) Drawing from an IWB holster wearing a T-shirt is hard...

4) Drawing your gun and still having the IWB holster stuck on the gun is scary and embarrasing! It only happened once, but my thoughts on a new holster have reached new heights.

5) Reloading a magazine from a Velcro belt pouch is slow.

All-in-all I learned a lot, improved on that pesky flinch and put 175 rounds of re-loaded .40 through my SIG P2022 without a hiccup.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    I played hooky from work last Monday since it was a beautiful day and I decided to go to the range and finally practice more realistic shooting scenarios. I normally go as a guest to a private range, but there you can't really draw, move and fire without creating a dangerous situation for yourself or others.

So, I went to the Coosa County Wildlife Management Area range north of where I live. It's a very primitive 100 yard range with no monitoring, no cover, no bathrooms and with just three shooting tables.

I had the whole place to myself that Monday afternoon!!!

Things I learned:

1) You really have to think about moving and shooting! I had to keep telling myself, "Get off the X!" to do it correctly.

2) Shooting one-handed makes it very hard to shoot accurately.

3) Drawing from an IWB holster wearing a T-shirt is hard...

4) Drawing your gun and still having the IWB holster stuck on the gun is scary and embarrasing! It only happened once, but my thoughts on a new holster have reached new heights.

5) Reloading a magazine from a Velcro belt pouch is slow.

All-in-all I learned a lot, improved on that pesky flinch and put 175 rounds of re-loaded .40 through my SIG P2022 without a hiccup.
    I'd say you might have also learned just how many things you can practice without shooting.
    AOK, redmc, 357and40 and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I'd say you might have also learned just how many things you can practice without shooting.
    I did - I learned it takes longer to recover your brass than it takes to shoot it!

Seriously, not ever trying to shoot and move and then reload and re-engage made this a very interesting day.
    TX expat and DingBat like this.

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    I did - I learned it takes longer to recover your brass than it takes to shoot it!

Seriously, not ever trying to shoot and move and then reload and re-engage made this a very interesting day.
    Sounds like a good first step towards a better understanding of how comprehensive a skill set defensive handgunning truly is!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Sounds like a fun day. You might really enjoy getting involved in IDPA. It is great practice for everything you mentioned.

Sounds like you had a great experience AND learned a lot!

I agree...there are a lot of things we can practice without shooting. I actually have one of those blue guns that is exactly like my real pistol.....it is great to practice drawing from my holster and getting on target!

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    A warm, beautiful day--I wonder how that feels...
    locotest likes this.

No offense, but I think Id toss the velcro mag pouch, and buy some better suited for a fighting pistol. If you like dressy looking ones, Galcos are beauts. If you like more utilitarian looking, bladetechs offer some nice features.

IMO, one needs to be be able to draw from a mag, knowing which way the bullets are ALWAYS facing, and do so without velcro, or whatever, keeping focus on the target, and not looking at the mag on the way to the weapon.

Also, there are good dvds out there for the kind of practice you describe I have the Tactical Response DVDs, and have taken their fighting pistol course. Highly recommend.
    BWM243, ShooterGranny and mano3 like this.

VIP Member
    Thank you for sharing your experience. It should inspire others to get out and practice these things (and more) also! And, yes, there sure are a lot of things you can practice without actually shooting, including the challenge of drawing from an IWB covered by a t shirt or more layers. Best wishes as you continue your progress!
    SteelerFan and miller_man like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

A day at the range is great in my book and having the solitude to work out different scenrios is great too. One thing that cant be taken for granted is safety. Your out there in the middle of nowhere shooting what I presume were reloads. Suppose 1 was double charged which when fired could have caused great injury to yourself. Its a good idea for safetys sake to shoot with a buddy just in case something goes wrong. Just playing devils advocate.
    mano3 and ShooterGranny like this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

VIP Member
    Sounds good, its been below zero around here for so long, I have not been shooting with the wind chill. ( I refuse to pay and wait hours for the indoor range).
    Plus we can't draw at the indoor ranges. I know you could draw and dry fire at home, but nice to see where you hit on that first shot.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

This little trip did show that I need a better holster.

IWB don't seem to work for me, but I don't want to open carry, so I'm thinking something on my belt that I can cover with an outer-garment.

Any suggestions?

VIP Member
    IWB works much better with a decent holster and lots of practice reps. What about it isn't working for you?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member

IWB don't seem to work for me, but I don't want to open carry, so I'm thinking something on my belt that I can cover with an outer-garment.

Any suggestions?
    Well, the absolute first thing I'd suggest is not giving up simply because you had less than expected results during your trip to the range. Do you practice regularly drawing from concealment? I'm talking at home, with a safe, unloaded pistol? If so, how much have you practiced? Drawing from concealment, aiming (or point shooting) and dropping the hammer, so to speak, is very much a learned skill. And it's one that you pretty much never get so good at that you can stop practicing altogether.

Since you mentioned that your holster came out with your weapon once, I'd probably say that you need to rethink your holster choice, but I don't know if it means that you should give up on IWB completely. IWB is much, much better for concealment and while it's probably easy to think about 'cover garments' now, while it's February; come August, you'll stop carrying if it means that you're having to wear two shirts constantly... A good IWB rig will conceal beneath a t-shirt. That sort convenience cannot be written off. It's easy for a lot of folks to stop carrying because it's just not convenient, so I try to make sure people understand what their choices may lead to when they start to close off options that maybe shouldn't be closed off.

Good luck and keep practicing!
    mano3 and SteelerFan like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar

Any suggestions?
    What holster do you have now?

I've used Comp-Tac for OWB under cover and currently use Dale Fricke holsters for IWB. No complaints about either.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links