Target critique

Target critique

This is a discussion on Target critique within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 30 degrees, 10mph wind left to right with gusts at least double, clear and sunny at 10 yards. Still trying to get a feel for ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By DingBat
  • 4 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 1 Post By JMB
  • 1 Post By ShooterGranny

Thread: Target critique

Target critique

30 degrees, 10mph wind left to right with gusts at least double, clear and sunny at 10 yards.

Still trying to get a feel for the Sccy and most shots here were double taps. It's possible the center hole is two so aside from the top right that wen't off grid, they are all hits but I feel like this is all over the place. I stand isosceles with a my right foot back a few degrees (Martial arts training will never allow me to stand completely square with an attacker), right handed, thumbs forward, left eye dominant. I've thought about switching eyes but I've been closing my right eye all my life and think I would revert under stress so I should train how I will fight. I'm shooting reloads from a LGS but at this distance, would that really matter?
    I'm happy to provide more info if needed.

Thanks!

IMG_1316.JPG

At 10yds, I can't imagine even 60kt+ wind gusts would do much to the trajectory of a bullet. At 150yds, sure.

But, 20-30kt wind gusts can flop around the shoulders and arms a bit. A 6ft tall human has a bit of "sail" area, in gusty winds. Are you sure you, yourself, aren't being jostled around a bit. At 10yds, all it would take for 6-8" off-center hits is a bit of buffeting.

If you're unable to duplicate the "all over the place" problem on a calm day in same conditions (10yds, same stance), I'm betting the wind was moving you around.

Should be easy enough to prove out, by sitting at a bench-rest type position, taking the body sway and arm movements out of the equation.

Question: Are you finding this sort of thing with other guns, on other days? (IOW, are you just an inaccurate shot, consistently?) Or, is it just this new gun? Keep in mind the SCCY has a different balance/weight than many other guns, and it might well be throwing you during the early stages of getting a feel for it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Don't worry about shooting right handed and left eye dominate. That is the way I shoot pistol as well. Muscle memory, even your eyes, will take over in a stress situation. Highly doubtful you will aim in a defensive situation as time will not allow that in most cases. Targets don't stand still and you wont either as the BG will also be armed with some type of weapon or you wouldn't be engaging him. Most people wont train in cold weather outdoors like you did and they should. Self defense situations occur in cold weather, just like warm weather. Keep doing what your doing.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

I should have specified a bit more on the wind. Absolutely, if the wind is a factor here, it's because it's pushing me around, not the bullet.
    This is the first gun I've picked up in 20 years so I have no real comparison and my abilities as a teenager with 22's and shotguns have little bearing on my abilities now. I know I need to shoot and shoot some more so I'm not surprised at this either. Once it gets warm and my wife come outside and shoot with me, I plan on going through some dynamic instruction if I can find a good range and if I can get financial approval, maybe getting into IDPA.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    if you haven't shot in 20 years i'd forget the double taps. slow down, shoot accurately, as slow as it takes. build speed as you build confidence.

my 2 cents
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

VIP Member
    Out of practice shooter?

Slow down your shots. Focus on sight alignment, trigger press and follow through.

Once you can get all of your shots grouping tightly then go ahead and pick up the pace.

Walk first then run.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

JMB
    That looks like watching the target for bullet holes instead of your front sight. Remember, front sight in focus, target slightly out of focus....even after the shot.
    Exacto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Out of practice shooter?

Slow down your shots. Focus on sight alignment, trigger press and follow through.

Once you can get all of your shots grouping tightly then go ahead and pick up the pace.

Walk first then run.
    Best advice yet...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member
    I'm with Roadrunner and Harry, No discernible pattern to criticize so the only answer is Practice, Practice, Practice. Once you can see a pattern of error then we can offer some suggestions (That may or may not be a good thing).
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

JMB
    The scattered pattern itself is the characteristic to be analyzed. Of course it would help to actually watch him shoot. Practice is only going to help if you know what fundamentals are and how to apply them...otherwise it will probably lead to frustration

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Out of practice shooter?
    Walk first then run.
    Definitely, the above. PLUS - move closer to the target. Start at 5 yards, then when every shot is center of mass, move to 7 yards, and then to 10 yards. That's also part of the "walk first, then run" thing.
    miller_man likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

looks like you are jerking the trigger,
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Links