FOF defensive training and/or/vs competition shoots (like IDPA)

FOF defensive training and/or/vs competition shoots (like IDPA)

This is a discussion on FOF defensive training and/or/vs competition shoots (like IDPA) within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here I am again with another article to share. The reason I am posting this is because there have been never ending, sometimes heated "discussions" ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By David Armstrong
  • 2 Post By DRM

Thread: FOF defensive training and/or/vs competition shoots (like IDPA)

VIP Member

Lightbulb FOF defensive training and/or/vs competition shoots (like IDPA)

Here I am again with another article to share. The reason I am posting this is because there have been never ending, sometimes heated "discussions" here at DC on many threads as to whether competition shooting like IDPA is "defensive training" or whether it ruins you for being a defensive shooter.

I do believe this article is extremely well written as it takes a good long look at both types of shooting - and also mentions the folks who have guns but do neither of these things.

Training and Competition: Both Are Beneficial - Personal Defense Network

I do not think that if everyone reads this article it will put en end to the arguing - "discussions" - but just possible might provide a bit of tolerance from those who have been adamant on one side or the other. (And, YES, we do have quite a few members who have posted similar ideas to what is in this article........this just puts it all in one place and does it quite well, IMHO.)
    DRM and Kennydale like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    For me the key is that they are both beneficial. Competition is not training and training is not competition. Each have their place and both can be useful to a shooter as long as the shooter recognizes how to use each to improve their abilities. I can't train while competing, but I can't test my training without competition. They complement each other.
    Blue Thunder likes this.

Sponsor

Lightbulb Training vs Practicing vs Competition

Thanks for the link Granny.

In my camp Firearms Training classes are where you learn various shooting techniques.

Training for a match (also called practice) is where you hone those shooting skills.

Competition is where you test your shooting skills.

Self Defense Training like FoF, Threat Management, H2H, etc. is a whole nuther aminal.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

I've had so much training during my career at arms that I'm solidly in the " fun" camp. And looking back at it all, truthfully, I believe I'm better prepared to deal with a realistic every day scenario when I have a j frame in my pocket, and my hand in a firing grip on the piece. Draw or shoot through the pocket.

But other than that, for me, it's just all for fun now.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Having done Paint Ball Wars around the Southeast including 2 wars at a MOUNT camp in Florida, FOF training was a real wake-up when you are one on one. In Paint Ball it is spray and pray, in FOF it is Kill the one, get off the X and make the shots and get to cover. The feedback is instant and you can learn real fast how to not get shot.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Links