Survive or Win...

Survive or Win...

This is a discussion on Survive or Win... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all talk about the fight and how to survive it. On a personal level I have a problem with the just survive the fight. ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree459Likes

Thread: Survive or Win...

Survive or Win...

We all talk about the fight and how to survive it. On a personal level I have a problem with the just survive the fight. If you are attacked, thrown down and have the back of your neck stepped on, and you survive as a quadriplegic is that the kind of win we are looking for? For me, NO..

I think there is a lot of misinformation on the interwebs about just surviving. Do not get me wrong, I do not want to die, but I do not want to live in a state of dependance. Maybe its a Hardware thing, but I believe that if we are going to take self defense seriously, we have to be programed to dominate the fight, not just survive it..We need to program ourselves to use greater violence to win the fight. We have to have the programing in our hard drives to be able to win. It is my opinion that this is done thru life experience or FoF training or both.

So what do you want, to just survive or to win? I know what I teach my students, but I would like a sample of others views on the subject. I for one do not want to just survive, I want to win and go back to life as normal afterwards...
    RickyD, redmc, Mike1956 and 18 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I was just talking about this at the gym with my work out and shooting partner. We are going to upgrade our training. soon
    gatorbait51 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Destroy your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women. - Conan
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

tag
    In this crazy PC world over-dominating the fight can get you legal trouble.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

IMO ... paradoxically, the mentality of "just surviving" has no place in situations involving outright survival.

My goal, if threatened in dire circumstances: To erase the threat as expeditiously and certainly as I'm capable of doing, as the most viable method of ensuring survival and my walking home that night to my loved ones. Very likely, that's going to require utter mercilessness, explosiveness, and violence to the point of turning the deadly threat "off" until it's no longer such a thing.

The last thing I'd ever to is to approach a violent situation with the minimalist hope and wish to merely survive it if I could. That's tantamount to giving up at the outset, deliberately selecting the worst possible tactic compatible with remaining standing (healthy and whole).

Have been through a handful of such encounters, in which I was attacked. I left the scene reasonably healthy and whole, which is more than I can say for the assailants in question. May any future violent assault against me end just that way. Absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    In this crazy PC world over-dominating the fight can get you legal trouble.
    Please show a link to a case where this has happened....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Heck with PC, when facing a threat only way is to win fast an decisively. We are not the police we have only the responsibility of defending ourselves an loved ones. Its nice to have sa an stay away from trouble stay away from problematic areas. But if the threat finds you an you believe its them or us end it as fast as you can as decisively as you can than call for his ambulance an police. If you want to give first aid do it. I for one do not want to survive a fight only to contract aids or hepatitis.
    ccw9mm, Parrisk, redmc and 5 others like this.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    This goes along w/ the PC thinking that you have some mind reading jedi abilities to use just the right amount of force when a thug engages you. This is a gray area but the benefit of the doubt should really go to the victim and not on the perp who initally engaged in the first place.

Same with someone who intentionally offends you in some way, apologizes and immediately expects you to switch off and instantly forgive them. They get mad at you for not forgiving them as soon as they apologize.
    gatorbait51, NONAME762 and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Please show a link to a case where this has happened....
    Popcorn guy didn't just survive he over-dominated. I prefer to think more simply, in terms of just stopping the threat but then again I'm a pretty simple minded guy.

I personally don't want to dominate or kill someone, I don't even want to hurt anyone. If I can simply stop the threat and hopefully not get hurt is was a great day for me.
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

How about the fact that emails and other online text sent by an individual can, would be, and has been used in a court of law for both prosectution and defense.

that said.. My goal is to protect me and my family from danger.
    If this means to chase off what is causing the situation, to remove ourselves from that situation, or the use of deadly force to eliminate the threat, then that is what I will do.
    Each situation is different and my response will be appropriate and continue until I am 100% sure the threat to our safety no longer exists.
    First and foremost is to spend maximum time with my loved ones while we are all healthy and happy.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

VIP Member
    Interesting thread. Have to admit that I have not thought about it exactly like this. I have always thought the goal was to 'walk away' from the confrontation not just survive, the way you put it this means winning.

Your follow-up questions indicate the need to be prepared to use overwhelming force and act in an explosive way to attack and dominate any fight. IMO this requires a state of mind and training.

While I believe I do have the right state of mind when it comes to my family's safety, I must admit that I could still use more self introspection and training to say I am definitely prepared for any scenario.

Thank you for getting me to think!
    Bad Bob, gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Popcorn guy didn't just survive he over-dominated. I prefer to think more simply, in terms of just stopping the threat but then again I'm a pretty simple minded guy.

I personally don't want to dominate or kill someone, I don't even want to hurt anyone. If I can simply stop the threat and hopefully not get hurt is was a great day for me.
    Winning isn't always a case of opening the biggest can of badness. Popcorn guy could have won at any time, had he disengaged.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy and drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather to your bosom his wives and daughters.”

― Genghis Khan

Conan plagiarized.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post

We are talking about self defense, not being stupid....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    We all talk about the fight and how to survive it. On a personal level I have a problem with the just survive the fight. If you are attacked, thrown down and have the back of your neck stepped on, and you survive as a quadriplegic is that the kind of win we are looking for? For me, NO..

I think there is a lot of misinformation on the interwebs about just surviving. Do not get me wrong, I do not want to die, but I do not want to live in a state of dependance. Maybe its a Hardware thing, but I believe that if we are going to take self defense serious, we have to be programed to dominate the fight, not just survive it..We need to program ourselves to us greater violence to win the fight. We have to have the programing in our hard drives to be able to win. It is my opinion that this is done thru life experience or FoF training or both.

So what do you want, to just survive or to win. I know what I teach my students, but I would like a sample of others views on the subject. I for one do not want to just survive, I want to win and go back to life as normal afterwards...
    I want to keep my health and my stuff, whatever that involves. Action vs reaction and FonF training has gone a long way to show my weaknesses, help to eliminate them, and make more clear when to relent and when to go full bore. There is a lot more in the bag of tricks than just a hammer, and there is more than one hammer.
    gatorbait51 and Hoganbeg like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links