Ohio firearms instructor charged for unintentional shooting

This is a discussion on Ohio firearms instructor charged for unintentional shooting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This case points out the importance of being aware of where your muzzle is pointing. Muzzle direction is the primary safety of safe gunhandling; always ...

Like Tree23Likes
  • 2 Post By HeadHunter
  • 1 Post By Bad Bob
  • 1 Post By blackxpress
  • 1 Post By TSiWRX
  • 3 Post By Fizban
  • 1 Post By Parrisk
  • 2 Post By blitzburgh
  • 3 Post By Longstreet
  • 3 Post By dukalmighty
  • 2 Post By blitzburgh
  • 1 Post By maxwell97
  • 1 Post By Parrisk
  • 1 Post By xXxplosive
  • 1 Post By TSiWRX

Thread: Ohio firearms instructor charged for unintentional shooting

This case points out the importance of being aware of where your muzzle is pointing. Muzzle direction is the primary safety of safe gunhandling; always has been and always will be.

Ohio firearms instructor charged for unintentional shooting - Atlanta Firearms | Examiner.com
    Parrisk and gatorbait51 like this.

Yes, there are bad instructors out there.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

According to the article this was not his first ND.

Accidental shooting was not first for firearms instructor | The Columbus Dispatch

Some people are just too stupid to be trusted with firearms.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Yep.

This incident has many - including instructors, as one would expect - participants on the OFCC Forums really upset. Rightfully so.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The term "firearms instructor" is often times used very loosely.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Funny every ND I can think about during my time in the Army were either folk from special ops (Dark Side) or officers.. maybe just too cocky with their knowledge???
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

I remember when this happened. In the original article, they too mentioned it wasn't the first time he's done this. I remember being surprised he wasn't charged right then. Glad to see this guy is finally facing some real consequences. He should know better, especially as an instructor.
    gatorbait51 and Parrisk like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The number of people who think they are competent to properly teach the use of firearms, and the number who actually are, varies greatly. Finding a good firearm's instructor is not easy.

I can tell how safe somebody is with a gun by clearing a firearm,without them seeing me do it,then handing them the gun with the slide closed and an empty mag inserted,what they do next will determine the next lesson.Even if they see me clear a firearm before handing it to them they should also verify that the firearm is cleared
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I can tell how safe somebody is with a gun by clearing a firearm,without them seeing me do it,then handing them the gun with the slide closed and an empty mag inserted,what they do next will determine the next lesson.Even if they see me clear a firearm before handing it to them they should also verify that the firearm is cleared
    Correct. As I've said a few times here, I don't care if it's my mother or father who clear it right in front of me, when it's handed to me, I will grab it with my off-hand and make it clear all over again. It's how I was taught and it's second nature now.
    gatorbait51 and Parrisk like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Funny every ND I can think about during my time in the Army were either folk from special ops (Dark Side) or officers.. maybe just too cocky with their knowledge???
    Could well be. Familiarity is the enemy of caution.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Correct. As I've said a few times here, I don't care if it's my mother or father who clear it right in front of me, when it's handed to me, I will grab it with my off-hand and make it clear all over again. It's how I was taught and it's second nature now.
    Same here... I place that under the rule Treat every firearm as loaded!

I remember the Arms room in the Army.. you cleared the weapon then passed it through the gate and the armorer would do it again and verify the SN.. when handed a weapon from the armorer you cleared it and verified the SN before smartly moving out.

The only ones that messed with my head were the Dutch Marines.. when entering (normal procedure) and leaving their compounds all weapons had to be cleared and checked..
    Normal for us when leaving was slap a mag/belt into the firearm, and as you passed through the gate you put one in the tube. Why they had everyone clear and check weapons when leaving the compound made no sense to me.. but they did have a Heiniken pub so visits with overnight stays were sought after
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

We had one instructor here in NJ years ago who actually shot the chandelier in the VFW during a Flintlock demo....the gun was loaded and he didn't know it...lucky he fired it up at the ceiling.....Geeezzz.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    The number of people who think they are competent to properly teach the use of firearms, and the number who actually are, varies greatly. Finding a good firearm's instructor is not easy.
    I think this is tremendously important.

It still remains very much a buyer's market, but there's operations popping up daily to take advantage of the numbers of citizens who are looking for instruction - and it's sadly all too possible for there to be bad apples in the mix.

I think everyone will remember this incident in Missouri:

^ That's a very advanced technique, a technique that's typically taught at the intermediate+ level. Why was it being taught, particularly live fire, to a student in a "basics" class, who was not even familiar with that sidearm?

And look at this one:

Handgun Malfunction and Remedial Action | DMZ TacticalDMZ Tactical - which should be reviewed in-context of the following: Stray bullets from neighbor's shooting range damage Will County home | abc7chicago.com . [This outfit may seem familiar to some who frequent this sub-Forum - that's because it's been mentioned before: DMZ Tactical in IL

Newcomers to the community really need to vet their perspective instructor(s)/school by talking to well-experienced shooters/enthusiasts in their local area.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sponsored Links