[Video] Police Chief Shoots Himself After His Jacket Drawstring Causes Negligent Disc

[Video] Police Chief Shoots Himself After His Jacket Drawstring Causes Negligent Disc

This is a discussion on [Video] Police Chief Shoots Himself After His Jacket Drawstring Causes Negligent Disc within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This was an improper re-holstering issue. When an outer garment is covering your holster, pull the item of clothing up HIGH with your support hand ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: [Video] Police Chief Shoots Himself After His Jacket Drawstring Causes Negligent Disc

This was an improper re-holstering issue. When an outer garment is covering your holster, pull the item of clothing up HIGH with your support hand (remember to be muzzle conscious), then re-holster. Also, be aware of the condition of any loose/long jacket draw string.

Another thing I see in Youtube videos is people slamming their handgun into the holster. Re-holster S-L-O-W-L-Y... a twig, casing, debris etc may have fallen into the holster.

[Video] Police Chief Shoots Himself After His Jacket Drawstring Causes Negligent Discharge
    Bad Bob and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Ooops.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quick video I did on the subject matter:

Thats what I tell everyone,never be in a hurry to holster. At our recent IDPA match it took me just over 5 seconds for a Bill Drill because I had 4 layers of clothes on, a safe draw was more important than being fast.
    gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    Scary. Thanks for the video...a great lesson on holstering, patience/slowing down, and making sure it's done right.
    Last edited by srings; March 14th, 2014 at 04:14 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    This brings up a discussion of the minimalist "holsters" that are trigger guards for pockets/backpacks/purses where the trigger guard is attached via a string/cord to your bag or belt. You have plenty of extra string/cord floating around in your purse/bag/pocket to get entangled in the trigger. Especially if you are re-securing the weapon.

I also wonder how many ADs happen w/ someone tries to reholster w/ their finger in the trigger guard.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Terrible, and a completely avoidable error. There's no prizes for the fastest-to-holster. Take your time, "walk and watch" it in, don't just jam your gun into the holster.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

When re-holstering my EDC the other night as I finished a range session, I accidentally snagged the slide on my jeans and it was racked by the time the gun was fully seated. Luckily I noticed it as it happened. I carefully drew the gun and cleared it before starting over. However I NEVER leave my finger inside the trigger guard unless I'm aiming downrange. Needless to say I pay very close attention now. Won't happen to me again.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Not the first time a Jacket cinch has got caught in the trigger and caused an ND
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixTS View Post
    This was an improper re-holstering issue.
    I can see that, yes.

But IMO, it was really a failure to bring in "comparison/buy/sell" arms into the store in an unloaded state.

Had he actually wanted to be bringing out a certain gun for comparison, then by golly he should have brought that given firearm into the shop inside a case. This sort of situation is the main reason those signs at gun shops exist, hopefully to keep folks from bringing out their loaded weapons and failing to either think or act safely, or finally hitting "7's" as the wheel turns 'round.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have pistols with grip safetys and two with a hammer. I always put my thumb on the back of the slide when re-holstering, the grip safety is not depressed and the hammer can not get cocked. No glock leg for me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have also seen this happen from people who buy(( cheap)) holsters and the holster collapses and part of the holster protrudes into the trigger guard producing the same results.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    When you are re-holstering there is a certain feel to the act, learn that feel. If it's different this time find out why...something is wrong.

It take this amount to pressure to push the gun into the holster that should not change much if everything is the same. It feels and slides in the same each time too. If that's not there's something different and most likely dangerous. Another reason for dry practice, empty gun re-holsters the same as a loaded one. Learn the feel!

Since there is no need to rush, the re-holster it should be a thought through process not a plain reaction response.

This is one of the many reasons I like my XD pistols keep the hand off the grip safety, no trigger being pulled.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Glock lovers need to be especially cognizant of this possibility. My mind switches to "carefully re-holster mode" because of this possibility.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    This is the second time he shot himself I don't think we can blame the holster, Jacket, Belt, or gun. I vote operator needs to quit carrying a gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links