Am I throwing out the baby w/ the bath water?

This is a discussion on Am I throwing out the baby w/ the bath water? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been evaluating my new CZ 75 P07 Duty as a lighter weight alternative to my all steel CZ 75 SA. The P07 has ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Am I throwing out the baby w/ the bath water?

VIP Member

I have been evaluating my new CZ 75 P07 Duty as a lighter weight alternative to my all steel CZ 75 SA.

The P07 has been an outstanding firearm in all ways possible, accuracy, reliability, ergonomics, size/weight; it has it all. Except for one little thing. There is just no consistently reliable way to perform one-handed malfunction drills with this gun.

All of my training tells me that I absolutely MUST be able to clear malfunctions with either hand alone or I will almost certainly DIE! (That's me exaggerating but you get the picture.) Now, I have spent many HOURS working on this. I have beat the heck out of a brand new holster, ripped a hole a pair of jeans and I have even given up a sizable chunk of my precious flesh trying to find a method that works with no success at all.

At this point I am thinking the P07 goes in to the sell/trade category even though it is an otherwise excellent handgun. Am I too hung up on this one aspect of gun handling? Am I throwing the baby out with the bath water here?

Looking for wisdom from this group of experienced gun geeks and guru's.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

what about this weapon and the function drills your are doing requires a second hand...?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

How reliable is the gun?

If it is reliable I think you are being obsessive. If it is unreliable dump it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

RR I understand where you are coming from..Try some scatter tape on top of the slide. This is what I do, it makes things much easier. I know you are from lansing. If you want to meet up sometime I can show you what I have done to my smith to make it work for me. We could even go thru some drills if you would like....
    gatorbait51 and DRM like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I sure wouldn't discard an otherwise excellent weapon for this reason. A pump shotgun can't be used effectively one-handed, malfunction or not, and that's not a deal-breaker for those who trust their lives to them; so I don't see why it would be an absolute necessity for a pistol for which two-handed operation is only required for clearing malfunctions.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Yes
    farsidefan1 and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Yes, you are too hung up. :) Odds are that, as a civilian, if you find yourself with the use of only one hand and a malfunction, you will be toast as you struggle to rack that slide one handed like you learned during training. Civilian shootings happen fast, and are usually up close and personal. Odds are that the mugger or carjacker, a few feet away from you, will be able to shoot you before you clear a jam. Civilians very rarely are in situations where they have enough time to clear a malfunction but if I concerns you, go for it. My concern threshold is much lower than most due to my long life experience.

There are a lot more shooting situations, that a person can find himself in, than time to learn them all. Go down that path carefully, as it can drive you nuts chasing an almost infinite array of possibilities. Think Chaos Theory. :)
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Administrator
    Swap out the rear sight for a rear with a better profile. That should work.
    DRM, oscar1, gatorbait51 and 2 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    "Odds are that, as a civilian, you find yourself with the use of only one hand and a malfunction, you will be toast."<~~~
    And WHY would that be some sort of an established fact?
    There are more possible scenarios out there with varying idiosyncratic circumstances than there are words in the dictionary.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I think u should sell it to me before u get yourself killed.. Seriously, if its in excellent shape i'll trade you a g26 for it...
    DingBat and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Yes, you are over thinking things.
    Do as either Harryball or QKShooter say and you will probably be fine.

I do not loose sleep and/or worry about such matters as this.
    There are too many bigger things in life to worry about.
    If the firearm has never failed you, it most likely will not, if/when you need to defend your life.
    You train, keep your pistol in good condition, and use ammo that has proven reliable in that firearm, quit stressing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

The sky is falling... The sky is falling...

Your going to be fine.

Whats with this one handed malfunction drill?... when did we start doing that?... Why is it important?

I haven't had time to work on my one handed malfunction drill, I've been concentrating zombie horde drills right now. Seriously odds are a defensive situation is going to be over very fast. Have a reliable weapon, which you have and worry more about the one handed draw and fire.

There is not enough time in a lifetime, and of that time, not enough to try and spending preparing for every single little thing that life could throw at you. And there are many things that have a far greater chance of being hazardous that take priority over a one handed malfunction drill.

At some point, " the gun" should be ditched and you moving on to a plan B. Move, think, act! You don't need a gun to do that. It may be more expedient to use it as a club than a firearm.
    Bad Bob, maxwell97, jbum and 3 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Carry 3 guns, if two malfunction you still have the third...well maybe four, no sense in taking chances.
    PEF, glockman10mm and farsidefan1 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links