Central Virginia or Hampton Roads SD Pistol and Carbine Instructor

This is a discussion on Central Virginia or Hampton Roads SD Pistol and Carbine Instructor within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Richmond Virginia, and my folks live in VB. I have googled this with not much success. I am looking for an instructor ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TBG

Thread: Central Virginia or Hampton Roads SD Pistol and Carbine Instructor

I live in Richmond Virginia, and my folks live in VB. I have googled this with not much success. I am looking for an instructor for one on one, or a class setting to learn how to run a pistol and a carbine efficiently and effectively. I would prefer someone who has a background in us military special operations, however I would be willing to consider a SWAT team member. Any help is greatly appreciated?

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Have you checked I.C.E. training in VA beach?
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    And, if you are willing to travel a little you can get first rate personal training at Practical Firearms Training in Alderson WV. You can find them on the web.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Have you checked with Colonial Shooting Academy on Broad Street?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

ICE training has nothing on their schedule in VA at all. I do have ROb Pincus's DVDs and book Combat Focus Shooting which I find to be efficient and practical and think that it would be great to take one of his classes.

WV is a bit too far out of my way since paying for training and ammo is already going to be quite an investment.

Honestly, I enjoy CSA as a range to go work the basics at, however I am not a member so therefore I am unable to use their tactical range for drawing from a holster. I will be unable to make the investment to become a member, get holster certified, then pay for training and ammo. Let me clarify that I am not cheap, I do expect to pay good money for quality training, but my disposable income is very limited, so I have to be very particular.

Don't know anything about them and they look pretty commercialized on their website but Academi - Train - Individual Courses do what you ask and are only a couple minutes south of the Carolina line putting you close to Hampton Roads. ;)
    When funding becomes available, I'm going to check them out; just don't know when that will be.

Out of curiosity, I just did a search for Blackwater and they were bought out by these Academi folks. I knew some folks at Blackwater but I have no idea if they staff stayed or left since Blackwater is only a name now. All that to say, Blackwater had a pretty good reputation so maybe there is some merit in Academi as well.

That list of courses does look legitimate and their staff seems to have outstanding credentials. You know I was talking with my martial arts instructor the other day, he almost took a course with Blackwater but had to cancel due to a family emergency. He mentioned that they changed their name, that list of courses looks similar to the courses he mentioned. Time to save my pennies that does look pricey (but worth it).

TBG
    You may want to consider DRMiddlebrooks at the tactcial shooting academy. I was there last year to pick up my new edc Glock that he customized and he was down on the range coaching some guys in tac vests with sbr's and cans. I wanted to go down and watch but I was told it was a retricted class.

I did get to shoot my new toy on the upper range though.
    N.M. Edmands likes this.

How about Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy?

Tom Perroni is an active LEO and SWAT Instructor and he has many SOF guys on his staff Rangers, SEALs, give them a call (540) 322-3000
    Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy

I'd cast another vote for DR Middlebrooks at TSA. In the interest of full disclosure, I've been training with him for about 8 years and I consider him a close friend. Since then I've attended 3-4 of his classes/year on average. If I was going into a fight, he would be the man I'd want with me. I'd call that a pretty ringing endorsement.

He's taught me more about pistol craft and shooting than anyone out there. His method/approach is a bit radical compared to much of the training industry, but sacred cows make good steak. He cares about his students as people and as shooters. He places a premium on safety and diligent application of shooting technique. In my opinion, he not only represents great quality, but also tremendous value, and that's just as an instructor.

For some perspective, I've also trained with Kyle Lamb, Pat Rogers, and numerous other top-tier instructors. DR has always impressed me with his integrity, methods, focus, and results based approach.

Just checked out the website for the school. Looks interesting I may check some of those classes out....decisions....

Also I was at a LGS who has an employee who is a former SEAL, shooting instructor in the military, and a master gunsmith. Everytime I go in there I speak with him for 20+ min about technique, his experience in actual combat, and different guns. I asked him the other day if he would teach me and he is into it. I may still end up taking some of these classes, the only thing that concerns me is conflicting training ideas, which leads to untraining previous habits. Much to consider.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DCJS Instructor View Post
    How about Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy?

Tom Perroni is an active LEO and SWAT Instructor and he has many SOF guys on his staff Rangers, SEALs, give them a call (540) 322-3000
    Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy
    This is incredible training and is an amazing value. I've been through > 100 hours of training from a few different facilities, and CCJA was by far the best and most realistic of them all. I can't wait to go back (hopefully this summer) and train again with them.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Fulfilling your criteria of former Tier 1 or current LE/SWAT, CCJA, Academi, Redback One, and Alias Training should all have offerings in your area. It doesn't look like RB1 or Alias has much in your area, yet, but it's still early in the season.

Any luck OP?

I too am from RVA and shoot at Colonial Shooting Acadamy.

Links