First training class under my belt.

This is a discussion on First training class under my belt. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well after talking myself out of it several times last year, finally got my act together. Just took my first class this past weekend, Suarez ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 11 Post By miller_man
  • 4 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 1 Post By miller_man

Thread: First training class under my belt.

Distinguished Member

First training class under my belt.

Well after talking myself out of it several times last year, finally got my act together.

Just took my first class this past weekend, Suarez International - Close Range Gunfighting 1 - with Randy Harris. GREAT class with a GREAT instructor. This was my first real training course at all, shame on me - should have done it a while ago, (been carrying 2+yrs now). Probably like a lot of people, I thought I knew a good bit from hanging around forums like this, shooting some drills, some regular practice and participating in some shooting competitions but I learned a TON this weekend. Learned a lot of real life application - not just how to do something, but the why?, when? and how? and the best part for me - here is the target- here is your gun - make it happen, and again and again and again - FANTASTIC!! Gained a lot of insight into looking at what a close range, real life encounter would probably look like and how you would want/need to act. No 10yd bulls eye stuff, but again - lots of real life stuff and application.

As soon as I get a few more dollars saved up I'll be signing up for CRG2 in June. Can't wait.

Our instructor, Randy Harris was absolutely great. A cool guy whose brain I could pick for days. He had a lot of patients, a good motivator, and by the evidence of our whole group improvement on day 2 - a great teacher. As I told him the last day, He's what I aspire to be someday - amazing good with the pistol, and makes it look too easy.

Had a great weekend with lots of good folks, looking forward to doing a lot more training + learning.

Think I'm going to make this my year of training, instead of buying a few more guns here and there I'm going to try to take a training course every couple of months. If your looking at going to take some training, DO IT! You won't regret it.
    Kennydale, JD, OldMick and 8 others like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Training is a good thing. Remember though, it is a perishable skill. Train and then PRACTICE those skills you've learned. And don't just train for a year. Make it an annual priority to refresh and even enhance your skills.

Good on you for taking the big step.
    cn262, miller_man, ccw9mm and 1 others like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member
    Yes, I already have been incorporating the things I've learned into my dry fire/draw routines done several nights a week. Just got a shot timer to up my drills at the range, and for when I get out at least once a month on private property for REAL training (drawing + move/shoot).

No worries - I'm thinking I will be training for the rest of my life. But this year, my gun fund will be spent on training.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Sounds great. I plan to do some additional training soon as well. It's important, but it's fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Just got a shot timer to up my drills at the range, and for when I get out at least once a month on private property for REAL training (drawing + move/shoot).
    Excellent. Shooting a pistol well for defensive purposes includes both speed and accuracy components. Too many fail to recognize the speed component, and few measure their shooting speed and work on improving it.

A shot timer is essential for measuring speed performance and improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Well after talking myself out of it several times last year, finally got my act together.

Just took my first class this past weekend, Suarez International - Close Range Gunfighting 1 - with Randy Harris. GREAT class with a GREAT instructor. This was my first real training course at all, shame on me - should have done it a while ago, (been carrying 2+yrs now). Probably like a lot of people, I thought I knew a good bit from hanging around forums like this, shooting some drills, some regular practice and participating in some shooting competitions but I learned a TON this weekend. Learned a lot of real life application - not just how to do something, but the why?, when? and how? and the best part for me - here is the target- here is your gun - make it happen, and again and again and again - FANTASTIC!! Gained a lot of insight into looking at what a close range, real life encounter would probably look like and how you would want/need to act. No 10yd bulls eye stuff, but again - lots of real life stuff and application.

As soon as I get a few more dollars saved up I'll be signing up for CRG2 in June. Can't wait.

Our instructor, Randy Harris was absolutely great. A cool guy whose brain I could pick for days. He had a lot of patients, a good motivator, and by the evidence of our whole group improvement on day 2 - a great teacher. As I told him the last day, He's what I aspire to be someday - amazing good with the pistol, and makes it look too easy.

Had a great weekend with lots of good folks, looking forward to doing a lot more training + learning.

Think I'm going to make this my year of training, instead of buying a few more guns here and there I'm going to try to take a training course every couple of months. If your looking at going to take some training, DO IT! You won't regret it.

Thanks for the kind words miller_man. I look forward to seeing you in class again soon.
    Last edited by Cruel Hand Luke; April 10th, 2014 at 09:54 AM.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

You picked the best class to start with and a first class instructor. And glad to hear you're going to CRG2 in June, so your skills don't perish.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    That is a great class. I took it with Gabe as our instructor back in 2005.
    NRA Instructor

Links