Great Instructor!!!!

Great Instructor!!!!

This is a discussion on Great Instructor!!!! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Great Instructor!!!!

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar

Great Instructor!!!!

gatorbait51 and Caertaker like this.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    I never heard of this guy but I like his methods and attitude.
    Especially his mental attitude...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Great Instructor!!!!
    I have to ask, in what...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I have to ask, in what...

gatorbait51 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

IS he serious? I can't believe what I watched
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    IIRC, Maman is real-deal/vetted, and has worked with IKMA to expose fake Krav instructors.

He also authored this very interesting article, which was examined here on DC not long ago:

http://ct707.com/images/pdf/nir%20ma...cle%202013.pdf

- which led to some very interesting and enlightening discussions regarding the various advantages/disadvantages of "posting up" and returning fire versus shooting-and-moving.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Instead of snarky remarks please school the less informed like myself what misinformation or bad instruction took place. It appears somewhat over the top for defensive carry but not for LE but like I said I am not as well informed and schooled as you guys appear to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefBoats.ret View Post
    Instead of snarky remarks please school the less informed like myself what misinformation or bad instruction took place. It appears somewhat over the top for defensive carry but not for LE but like I said I am not as well informed and schooled as you guys appear to be.
    Did you watch the videos???? Even someone with a basic understanding of things can pick up a lot. I am also curious to what level do you think LE is trained...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

^ ETA w/ what ChiefBoats.ret wrote above -

What I see in the two Maman videos above, particularly the second, is more geared towards LE than it is for civilian concealed-carriers.

The first is very much manipulations/techniques, and I don't think that I see anything (full disclosure - I'm only half paying attention, as the little one is on the last day of her two-week Spring Break and running bored around the house because she's got strep! ) that's outrageous, only that, as with any other instructor, he has his own preferences/biases as based on the training that he's received and what he's experienced in his lifetime. Sure, some of his movements look funky, but after having seen various other Israeli Methodology videos, it's just what's in their system, and is, in the concept that it's a "system," not so much different from what Magpul as well as other schools have propagated in their own time.

Even at ~18:30 in the first video, when he expressed his thoughts on muzzle awareness, it's no different than that from other known top-tier instructors such as Hackathorn, as the student progresses beyond the intermediate level.

All this said, I'd definitely be willing to take some lessons from him.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sadly, the Internet is flooded with videos of great instructors like this one......
    gatorbait51 and fredg53 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    ^ ETA w/ what ChiefBoats.ret wrote above -

What I see in the two Maman videos above, particularly the second, is more geared towards LE than it is for civilian concealed-carriers.

The first is very much basic-manipulations, and I don't think that I see anything (full disclosure - I'm only half paying attention, as the little one is on the last day of her two-week Spring Break and running bored around the house because she's got strep! ) that's outrageous, only that, as with any other instructor, he has his own preferences/biases as based on the training that he's received and what he's experienced in his lifetime. Sure, some of his movements look funky, but after having seen various other Israeli Methodology videos, it's just what's in their system, and is, in the concept that it's a "system," not so much different from what Magpul as well as other schools have propagated in their own time.

All this said, I'd definitely be willing to take some lessons from him.
    An open mind is a good thing TSI, I fully understand that, but tactifool comes to mind with this guy. 123 turn, 123 turn, 12345 check the gun...REALLY???
    Longstreet and gatorbait51 like this.

Again, I think that's methodology related.

In this case, I think it's more to get the students body-motions coordinated/choreographed for the system that he instructs in. It's no different than any other martial arts system that incorporates a rigid set of movements for any one action.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    You can always tell a good instructor by how much they pay attention to the Fundamentals. Grip being probably one of the most important. "You cannot do anything advanced until you 've mastered the basics." I see so many broken grips in that video...INCLUDING the instructor HIMSELF... SOUP SANDWHICH comes to mind....

Not to mention the guy keeps pointing the gun at himself.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I did not post to be a butthead, I am fairly new at even owning a firearm let alone carrying one with me daily. I understand this is the internet and what passes for the truth but I still try get information from forums like this one, so one line nose in the air remarks to a post are not helpful to people like myself looking for helpful information. Insightful answers as to why these videos are truly instructive or not are what is helpful.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefBoats.ret View Post
    I did not post to be a butthead, I am fairly new at even owning a firearm let alone carrying one with me daily. I understand this is the internet and what passes for the truth but I still try get information from forums like this one, so one line nose in the air remarks to a post are not helpful to people like myself looking for helpful information. Insightful answers as to why these videos are truly instructive or not are what is helpful.
    If you want some insight here is some great insight. See how he is gripping the pistol. That is not how you grip a semi-automatic.

The way he is gripping the gun, shooting quickly will open up his groups much quicker and you will loose defensive accuracy relatively quickly. There is a reason the best shooters in the world do not shoot like he does.

Insight number 2.....Pointing guns at students in a class is an unnecessary risk, it serves very little purpose in training, and can have detrimental effects.

Insight number 3...Pointing the gun at his own self i.e. hands is an indicator that he either he chooses to be negligent, or he does not have the foundation as a safe gun handler.
    Bad Bob, gatorbait51, OD* and 5 others like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links